Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How well will I do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Cycling Forum by G (12 Nov 2018 - 22:15)
View previous topic : View next topic  

benny2018
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:41 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: How well will I do? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I've been jogging for 3/4 years and have decided to switch to my bike as it's not being used and can't jog anymore due to work/issues. I haven't been on my bike yet but I'll be going starting this week.

I had 3 different routes for my jogging so I would go the same way biking. I ran at a fairly slow pace and did 70-90 mins endurance without stopping so I'm wondering (bare in mind I haven't been jogging since July so 4 months!) would I still have some endurance? Or if I go out now I'll be tired straight away? I should try one night Rolling Eyes

So basically does running endurance help with going biking?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images.spot.im/v1/production/lcvk7wenkwys2zlj6tju

Question

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:15 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: How well will I do? Reply with quote

If you're riding off road, yes, it can make a good bit of difference.

But, presuming you're not - no, you do not a lot of fitness to turn a throttle. (Unless you've been doing the run around Snetterton - in which case, it'll help - but rowing would be much better.)

Okay - so you've not bothered to check what kinds of bikes this forum is about.
I've moved it to the cycling section.

From my experience - yet it will help. But may take a little to adjust as you do use different muscles.

Why not just go out and do some cycling? Everyone's different and fitness will transfer in different ways.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 18:54 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CV (cardiovascular) endurance would carry over to an extent however cycling efficiency (although not that important) and muscles predominantly used will e a factor.

4 months off will probably mean you're essentially starting from scratch regardless.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a lot of running years ago and tested 1.5 mile time a few times before heading off for a 1600 mile cycle trip, doing about 70 miles a day (on a hardtail MTB). I came back much fitter but my mile and a half time increased by a full minute. It helps your endurance but not necessarily your all round performance.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look at this article about improving your Vo2 max.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/fitness-guide-how-to-improve-vo2-max-158328?fbclid=IwAR1OFzOlvfkXd_ueKn4OvcnsZu9fyqbtKF20YQdYQq8a1fDjlRlHUxaHoqM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:37 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 19 stone when I first jumped on a bike as an adult.
I rode, with a group, for 15 miles, stopping for coffee. I then went out and did 15 miles every other night and 30-35 on a weekend day.

Cycling is as hard as you make it. I live in the flattest part of the country (the Fens) which has a geographical advantage. But honestly, you should be able to surpass any run distance within no time at all.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Cycling is as hard as you make it. I live in the flattest part of the country (the Fens) which has a geographical advantage.

I sometimes cycle into the fens from Bedford. You can take your geographical advantage and keep it for yourself when the wind is blowing. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1