BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Job scam?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 17:04 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Job scam? Reply with quote

I was in Manchester last week and managed to grab a copy of the MEN with the jobs pages. There was one in there that said something like "Managers needed, no exp necessary, est 15-30k earnings. call etc".

So I gave them a call on friday, they took my name, email address and instantly gave me an interview. Confused

I got an email from them today and they say they're part of this company https://www.xlntelecom.co.uk/

A quick check round that website shows they're recruiting... in London. Now the only thing I can think of, as with most scams relating to the telecoms supplier industry is they'll ask me to pay them £300 and then they'll let me sell their product and earn commission off it. Seems a bit odd to make me go an interview for that though.

Anyone else come across anything like this?

S1KE
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:09 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

no harm in going for the interview,never know it might be genuine, if it aint, no harmdone, worth a try though im sure
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 17:15 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved!

https://www.wikijob.co.uk/forum/it-technology/view-xln-telecom

So I sent him an email.

Quote:
Hi Michael,

Just to let you know I won't be attending the interview. Something just doesn't seem 'right' when you hand out interviews without having yet seen my CV or knowing anything about me. It's a bit far to travel just to find out it's not what I was hoping.

Shaun

I figured I'd be polite but then he replied.

Quote:
Thank you Shaun,

We believe in giving people a chance to shine in an interview and not going of a peice of paper that could be full of fabricated information. We take people on face value, meeting people in person tells us a lot more than a CV, and we find out all about people at the interview. Good luck.

Regards,

Mike

Now as I was waiting for that response I'd found the above link, now quite angered that I could've got out of bed, travelled for 2 hours to get there only to be scammed I decided to respond.

Quote:
https://www.wikijob.co.uk/forum/it-technology/view-xln-telecom

Thank you for the oppurtunity Michael, however I feel my time will be better spent masturbating in the garden, whilst it isn't really a skilled profession my technique has long been admired and I just need to wait for the right person to see me before I am catapulted to fame and glory.

Shaun

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sorts of things are quite common I've seen them for ages and ages they are usually legit , they just get you to go round houses knocking on doors selling their product...

It was charity , then gas / electricity etc..

They are almost all run by a guy called Joe 'Bones' in Manchester, they always say X amount of cash no experience needed etc.

You work off commission only and they'll dump you somewhere where you have slim chances of a sale, you need to get X amount of sales per day for any commission , they constantly recruit and have a 100% staff turn over in a matter of weeks.

I used to manage 3-4 sales a day you needed about 7 a day minimum, and ineffect worked for the company for free for a couple of weeks.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing as Euphony telecommunications which my brother still is under the illusion he will get money out of for the past 8 years Rolling Eyes
I still would have went to the interview just to have a row as I hate these scams.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 17:51 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of but being skint going to manchester with no hope of employment at the end of it isn't at the top of my priorities.

Ah well, at least I got to send a silly email to careers.dylanjames@hotmail.co.uk I forget why it is we don't post full email addresses on here.

I'm glad I have some common sense for that, if I'd gone for it I could've ended up working for 2 weeks with no money at the end of it and with my job seekers cancelled. Shocked

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took you that long to work out they were suspect?

With a hotmail email address?

I am sure you will make some company, somewhere, very proud. How are you with a broom?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

I am sure you will make some company, somewhere, very proud. How are you with a broom?

Heh I've been looking into that actually , the problem is its not that simple, a cleaning job I saw in Manchester, need 5+ years checkable work history , CIS card, Enhanced CRB check applicant to meet cost.

And this was a min wage job...
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Minty wrote:

Heh I've been looking into that actually , the problem is its not that simple, a cleaning job I saw in Manchester, need 5+ years checkable work history , CIS card, Enhanced CRB check applicant to meet cost.

And this was a min wage job...

I stand corrected.

Shaun, you're screwed.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFGI
https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=XLN+scam&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:47 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

I never really took note of the email address, no need to, just hit reply.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripoff Report Verified Safe
February 2009.

I was invited for an interview at XLN Telecom for a management position. I researched the company beforehand: financial statements, directors' names, products, achievements and so on.

The information available on the web about this firm is everything but conclusive: one might find that they are the fastest growing telecommunications company in the UK; others might find that they promote bad sales practices, having breached several provisions of the Code of Practice for sales and marketing activity. Fair enough. However, the situation gets uglier when you find articles on a Birmingham paper describing how new hires have been promised a management position and find themselves cold calling and working on the field. Apparently, this is part of XLN Telecom way of training managers - the 'ACADEMY' - whereby unachievable objectives are set and everyone gets sacked in the first weeks without a penny.

Even feeling suspicious I decided to see by myself.

11:10, XLN Telecom HQ in Vauxhall. I come in, put my name down on the visitors' book and wait to be called for interview.

11:20, I am asked to go upstairs and so are other 24 people. We all sit down. After filling in a form, an XLN employee presents the regional director (Steven Pun) - 'Steve is a very important person, he made his first million pounds when he was 26, 50% of the employees in this company have been recruited by him, so I advise you to be very straight with him and never loose eye contact.'

11.45, Steve comes in and begins his speech which I would qualify as a stunning acting performance. The speech lasts 4 hours.

Steve enjoys himself. He has got his million pounds, 7 estates in London and a Lamborghini Murcielago. He likes to point out that he hired 87% of the staff (his colleague said 50%). He mentions that whoever does not like him can 'fuck off' and that it would be such a pleasure to slap and throw underperformers out of the window. Good corporate image I would say...

But the interview is not about Steve. He also goes through the company's figures, as follows:

(i) Profit After Taxes in FY2004: 500k
(ii) Profit After Taxes in FY2005: 1K
(iii) Steven Pun salary in FY2008: 170k

Turns out that the financial statements of XLN say it different, as follows:

(i) Profit After Taxes in FY2004: -215k
(ii) Profit After Taxes in FY2005: -1,230k
(iii) Directors wages in FY2008: 188k (so... he has got 170k and the remaining 5 directors 18k?!)

SLIGHTLY different! Nevertheless, as far as profits are concerned the company is pretty successful now. Not as much as Steve says though.

The most interesting thing about this company is the training they provide - the 'ACADEMY'. They want to train people for 8 weeks and the ones who manage to go through the process will earn 30k-50k. During the training they will go to the field and call some businesses (which I understood as field sales and cold calling, respectively) so XLN can ensure that people know what the business is about.

Steve does not actually explain what the role consists of but he highlights that the successful ones will be directing the ‘ACADEMY' in their areas. So, the job is about getting people to recruit more people. As more people one recruits, more money he/she gets. If one manages to stay 4 weeks, this person will train a new hire. The new hire will, in his/her turn train another new hire when he/she achieves the 4th week. So, after 5 weeks the first person would be managing the new hire and his/her trainees. The scheme goes on and on.

In a chestnut, the underlying truth is that new hires stay for few weeks, go to the field and get some contracts for the company. XLN then says that they have not achieved the targets and get rid of them without paying.

I am delighted to have turned down this job. I cannot complain about the company because nothing happened to me but I have heard from people who had terrible experiences at XLN. I expect with this report to prevent people to be deceived by their offer which might sound attractive at first.

By the way… I looked up Steven Pun on the web: he is an artist! I identified him by his photos. Apparently he has even released an album. You can check him out at https://www.angelfire.com/pop2/stevenpun/abouthim.html

Turns out that he might well be an actor and I watched a play for free… not everything is bad then.

Mr P
Blackheath
United Kingdom
https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/423/RipOff0423830.htm

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 19:24 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the link I posted above...

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
That's the link I posted above...

Sorry Shaun, I never read your stuff Mr. Green

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:07 - 23 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, guess you'll just have to go and model for Diesel.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 11:35 - 24 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a total aside to the job, I use XLN for my phones in the shop.

They are pretty good and internet speed is good and no one can beat them on price for my business. Very Happy

But yeah if your a "manager" for them your basically a shitty sales man and you do the lovely job of cold calling etc etc etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 9 years, 264 days between these two posts...
mark smith This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're a shower of cunts on here too so you better not just sign up just post any shite or bumf.

There are places for this.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the fuck is his post spam. He's warning people of another shitty scamming company that he has actual experience of.

OK, I'm not going to use them, others might be tempted though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:34 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragging up a thread that was last posted in 9 years and 264 days ago with something that's not even relevant to the thread counts as spam. Razz

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 years Embarassed I didn't look at the date.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1