Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

buying a moped for my sister

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: buying a moped for my sister Reply with quote

Sister is turning 16 in about a years time and since i got my first road bike when i was 16 she's been after one.

shes keen but would like a motorcycle styled one rather than a step through for obvious reasons, people dont know what they're looking at and anything with a 'regular' motorcycle silhouette will deceive 99% of people.

i had a DNA 50 that she liked but it ran like shit unless was on a flat road on a warm sunny day, so i sold that instead.

been looking at various bikes like the mash 50cc, lexmoto hunter 50cc but both of them are 4 stroke and Chinese and i dont want her first experience to be on the side of the road in the rain after her electrics have failed

not looking to spend a lot, found a lexmoto 50cc for 650 but i dont like the looks of the engine and carb setup, kinda like a cub knockoff and not sure whether it'll have the go for the hills around where i live.

was thinking 2 stroke but aprilias are expensive and half the owners have problems with them

maybe an old jap bike? i had one, RZ50 1998 turned into a money pit (started a dislike for taking bikes to be fixed at garages)

basically i want a good first experience for her so she keeps riding, again her wanting a bike is coming from her and not me or my dad so theres a good chance she'll ride it daily.

any advice, ideas would be great. avoid scooters please

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:34 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS50 OR GPR50, No questions. Probably the GPR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the Mash 50 models (Daughter has the Roadstar 50)
Lexmoto Hunter 50
Zontes Tiger 50

Reasonable places to start

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: buying a moped for my sister Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
Sister is turning 16 in about a years time and since i got my first road bike when i was 16 she's been after one.

shes keen but would like a motorcycle styled one rather than a step through for obvious reasons, people dont know what they're looking at and anything with a 'regular' motorcycle silhouette will deceive 99% of people.

i had a DNA 50 that she liked but it ran like shit unless was on a flat road on a warm sunny day, so i sold that instead.

been looking at various bikes like the mash 50cc, lexmoto hunter 50cc but both of them are 4 stroke and Chinese and i dont want her first experience to be on the side of the road in the rain after her electrics have failed

not looking to spend a lot, found a lexmoto 50cc for 650 but i dont like the looks of the engine and carb setup, kinda like a cub knockoff and not sure whether it'll have the go for the hills around where i live.

was thinking 2 stroke but aprilias are expensive and half the owners have problems with them

maybe an old jap bike? i had one, RZ50 1998 turned into a money pit (started a dislike for taking bikes to be fixed at garages)

basically i want a good first experience for her so she keeps riding, again her wanting a bike is coming from her and not me or my dad so theres a good chance she'll ride it daily.

any advice, ideas would be great. avoid scooters please

This is very difficult. There are lots of 50cc geared bikes "out there", even Rieju RS3 50cc ones (genuine Yamaha two-stroke engine/six-speed gearbox), BUT the problem is that for a 16-year-old, they will all HAVE do 28MPH flat out (31MPH on older ones; bikes not factory-made to do this speed are not legal for her to ride), and there you have trouble.

Either you stick to the legal limit, or you "do something".

Sticking to the legal limit means vehicles behind may well not realise that there's a 50cc/30MPH bike in front (especially if it looks sporty), and "doing something" renders the rider liable to licence-changing sanctions if detected, which will have a lasting effect on her using any other vehicle, for years to come.

There's also the p-roblem that a 30MPH bike like the Lexmoto Hunter is not as powerful as some scooters!

I would say that if you^Wshe gets a geared 50cc then four gears like the Lexmoto might be preferable to a six-speed.

Now you did say "avoid scooters". However, these must be a consideration. A bit more protection from the elements, less complex and easier/cheaper to maintain, in-bike storage, general practicality. Some, like the Peugeot Kisbee (std. 3kW of power), for instance, can be lightly and very easily "done something to" without so much risk of attracting unwanted attention "because it's a scooter".

Get a top-box for whatever you, well she, gets, and attach a sign like this to it to try and avoid frustrated tailgaters:

https://www.safety-label.co.uk/products/30-mph-speed-limit-sticker?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIof6a-4XD3gIVi6mWCh2YkQMWEAQYAyABEgJPXfD_BwE

Here's a video of the same thing that the boy's got (restricted):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUMW6dkqZys

(if all goes well he's riding a Rieju RS3 125cc when he's old enough).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH if you or her are planning to stick to 28mph then you
Might as well buy one of those shitty 2.5bhp four stroke nearly new Chinq bikes and be problem free most likely.

I don't think 30mph is safe anywhere other than in gridlocked cities where the average traffic speed is more like 15-20mph tops. The first urban 40mph dual track or bypass she rides on well it's sitting duck time, and when not if she gets forced off the road or someone tries to squeeze past a gap that's not there, or she just gets intimidated by a truck 2' behind being a total wanker.

If the 50cc bike (I'd always suggest a scooter if they were acceptable) is only going to need to last a year (who keeps a 50cc for longer if they are interested in bikes?) well why not make it a de-restricted or even tuned and big bore kitted Aprilia sports moped etc?

The engine will only have to last a few thousand miles, and not only will there be safe 55mph performance and 8bhp+ but the rest of the machine is well up to it with big disc brakes and better suspension, wider tyres etc. A fresh engine re-build for piece of mind is a good policy too. Might be worth teaching her the two fingers on the clutch at all times routine too just in case.

Oh and if your bothered about breaking the law, then just tell her to ride it at no more than 30mph and she'll never get pulled over by the police anyway.

I realise all the above is crap advice, but I don't think any restricted 50cc is a sensible proposition anyway, not in the UK at least. It'd be fine on a small Greek island though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:19 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I don't think 30mph is safe anywhere other than in gridlocked cities where the average traffic speed is more like 15-20mph tops. The first urban 40mph dual track or bypass she rides on well it's sitting duck time, and when not if she gets forced off the road or someone tries to squeeze past a gap that's not there, or she just gets intimidated by a truck 2' behind being a total wanker.

Mmmm. It really is a worry. The boy has a restricted Peugeot Kisbee, which gets up to speed nicely, but the speed is only about 30. He tends not to go on "big roads", but has once been on a NSL dual carriageway with friends which was "very scary". Most roads seem OK, although he does complain about being tailgated by frustrated people wanting to do 35 in a 30, or the sort that just will not overtake, hence the reason for mentioning the "Limited to 30" sticker. He tends to stick to his CBT advice, which is good, and take up "a dominant road position".

A month to go, all being well, before a sporty RS3 125. That will bring further worry, of course.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, I had a 2 stroke gilera dna that flat out with a good amount of road will keep up with cars on a 50mph, i also had a wasp 50 chink scooter that easily did over 40 closer to 45, I'm not too concerned with the plod pulling her over at whatever speeds, I never had an issue even with police behind me, beside me and having a chat at a stoplight. i know it takes one time but for me its more likely she'll get into an issue doing 30 in a 40 than the police pulling her over. may sound sexist but a girl doing more than 27 rather than a tracksuited lad with a 80cc kit on his stolen bike, I'm not too worried.

i'll have a look at the options advised above, she likes the look of the Yamasaki ym50 (the name is cringe as hell), found a new one from the official UK importer for 1100, and a derestricted ECU/ CDI i cant remember for around 50 quid extra. probably the best option iv seen so far.

main thing I'm looking for besides the obvious is her feeling 'cool' on it or whatever, very important for a teenage girl when pulling into the school car park to not be embarrassed. so the Aprilia and mash listed above fits that bill nicely thanks for the suggestions

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Mmmm. It really is a worry. The boy has a restricted Peugeot Kisbee, which gets up to speed nicely, but the speed is only about 30. He tends not to go on "big roads", but has once been on a NSL dual carriageway with friends which was "very scary". Most roads seem OK, although he does complain about being tailgated by frustrated people wanting to do 35 in a 30, or the sort that just will not overtake, hence the reason for mentioning the "Limited to 30" sticker. He tends to stick to his CBT advice, which is good, and take up "a dominant road position".

A month to go, all being well, before a sporty RS3 125. That will bring further worry, of course.

cycling route finders may be helpful here,

of course you can't use cycle specific routes, but may find a route running parallel to a main road / fast road that uses residential streets. Might take a bit longer due to more junctions to navigate but worth looking into.

Used to use https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ when I cycled everywhere

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: buying a moped for my sister Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

My daughter felt exactly the same, we went for a second hand Lexmoto Hunter. Seems to be a solidly built machine, we've certainly had no issues with it.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:01 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with her waiting something motorcycle shaped rather than a step-thru, but I'd be putting her on a step for the first year, earn some road sense and NCB, go geared 125 at 17.

I paid (albeit a few years ago) 100 quid for a Chinese takeaway carton, fettled the carb a little, ran it for 3 years, sold it for more than I bought it for. I even put air in the tyres once. Had i slung it down the road, it been pinched etc 0 Fuxx given.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:38 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd prefer bike shapes and the ability to do sensible speeds then RS50/GPR50. Nothing else to look at.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If you'd prefer bike shapes and the ability to do sensible speeds then RS50/GPR50. Nothing else to look at.

There are a couple of other things to look at (e.g. RS3 50cc https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/rieju/rs3-50/2012 ), but the point is that she's 16, and if she's involved in a crash, or pulled by an inquisitive flattie, then the consequences could be really quite nasty.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:42 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't crash, job done?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:02 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughly what's her budget?

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i think she should wait till shes 17, 50cc are terrible unless shes happy to be a on a either a vespa 50cc or piaggio zip 50cc,

when shes 17 she should get a honda grom as they are easy to ride and handle (my personal bias is at play here as its a great bike to start and learn on)

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a massive budget less than 1500 absolute max

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
Personally i think she should wait till shes 17, 50cc are terrible unless shes happy to be a on a either a vespa 50cc or piaggio zip 50cc,

when shes 17 she should get a honda grom as they are easy to ride and handle (my personal bias is at play here as its a great bike to start and learn on)

Why? My nephew has had his Direct Bikes DB50, for 18 months now, loves it rides it to & from college in rush as well, on 40mph roads, all fine. Oh, and last december, he did the Birmingham toy run on it from Streetbike to Birmingham Childrens hospital, in that god awful weather

My daughter has had her cbt for a month now, 16th birthday present, and loves riding here Mash 50 Roadstar.

Both of them will have a good appreciation of road riding / commuting before upping the power to a 125

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate don't waste your breath. There are some on here that think even if cities were limited to 15mph that a 50cc of 2bhp or even 9bhp would be dangerous and lethal and deadly. They also suggest that you probably want at least 100bhp to safely pull away from junctions, filter through traffic or maintain a decent and safe level of progress on motorways.

50cc is a thing and works for some people in some situations and some traffic environments. No UK limited 30mph peds are not safe for out of town use, and yes faster ones are illegal and are like riding without insurance, licence or type approval.

Remember some people think 125's are desperately unsafe and they honestly think in 30mph they lack the power to keep up with cars or get past a vehicle going slower.

And some people will say wait until 17, like it solves all problems of transport and that the guy/girl is taking up riding bikes as a die hard biker who'll be S1000RR riding to work as soon as they can afford to. Bikes don't exist for any other reason than that, and there's no reason to own one unless your on the road to 200bhp.

I don't have Borg style statistics, but I bet 50% and more of 16-18yr olds buy 50cc and 125cc machines for cheap A-B and getting to work/college or university. I bet as soon as they are earning decent money they'd walk straight past a BMW S1000RR to get to a new Golf GTI.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:22 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get her this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-Honda-C50-Little-Cub/273501724307?hash=item3fadf91e93:g:QaEAAOSwJuZbvZmt:rk:11:pf:0

Proper footpegs, proper brake positions, large wheels, gearbox. However automatic clutch.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Mate don't waste your breath. There are some on here that think even if cities were limited to 15mph that a 50cc of 2bhp or even 9bhp would be dangerous and lethal and deadly. They also suggest that you probably want at least 100bhp to safely pull away from junctions, filter through traffic or maintain a decent and safe level of progress on motorways.

50cc is a thing and works for some people in some situations and some traffic environments. No UK limited 30mph peds are not safe for out of town use, and yes faster ones are illegal and are like riding without insurance, licence or type approval.

Remember some people think 125's are desperately unsafe and they honestly think in 30mph they lack the power to keep up with cars or get past a vehicle going slower.

And some people will say wait until 17, like it solves all problems of transport and that the guy/girl is taking up riding bikes as a die hard biker who'll be S1000RR riding to work as soon as they can afford to. Bikes don't exist for any other reason than that, and there's no reason to own one unless your on the road to 200bhp.

I don't have Borg style statistics, but I bet 50% and more of 16-18yr olds buy 50cc and 125cc machines for cheap A-B and getting to work/college or university. I bet as soon as they are earning decent money they'd walk straight past a BMW S1000RR to get to a new Golf GTI.

I am one of those people Smile We had a fleet of Faggio 50cc 'peds at work and they were truly terrifying, most people including myself refused to ride them. Even on my 125 nipping past some arsehole holding up cyclists at 20mph was sometimes dodgy, I suspect the sweet spot is around 25-30bhp, de-restricted 125 2-stroke or modern 250 4 stroke territory.

I suspect you're right, most teens are going to rapidly fall out of love with biking due to the machines they're limited to, although car insurance premiums will probably keep some of them riding.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1