Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The last word on break-in?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: The last word on break-in? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/xpoglovyy_8

Two identical engines, one broken in gently, one brutalised. No discernable difference. Looks like the ride hard from the first mile camp have it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I think his comment on breaking in being a bit of a hangover from when manufacturing techniques weren't so good is a fair one.

I still wouldn't cane my own brand new bike from the word go though, it wouldn't feel right to me. Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measuring engine wear after 1000miles tells you fuck all, and it's a poor attempt at trying to definitively answer the question.

They need to measure engine wear and tolerance after say 50'000m and also much more important than engine wear is engine performance. The two engines should have been dyno tested and ideally compared on track with lap times and acceleration.

All modern engines are well finished and built by the factories now with low variation in tolerances, so they will have a long lifetime normally way past the life of the bike. Therefore it's more important to measure performance during that time instead of trying to find evidence of difference in wear rates.

I'd be much more interested in a BSB team carrying out such a comparison between running in methods and seeing if lap times and dyno runs are any different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:33 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I'd be much more interested in a BSB team carrying out such a comparison between running in methods and seeing if lap times and dyno runs are any different.

Most race bikes get run in quite harshly on a dyno I believe.

Of course, a BSB team with a new bike probably won't have that bike past a few thousand miles.

Last edited by G on 09:08 - 15 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: The last word on break-in? Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
https://youtu.be/xpoglovyy_8

Two identical engines, one broken in gently, one brutalised. No discernable difference. Looks like the ride hard from the first mile camp have it.

Blast. "Running-in". I thought you were talking about burglars.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shite test. It doesn't bring in a whole ramp of variables.
For starters the mileage - it doesn't give anything a chance to wear. Then there's the location of the test - it doesn't bring in colder outside temperatures that would affect internal tolerances more. It also wasn't real world testing - bring in some short journeys where the engine doesn't warm up much.

Are engines not broken in slightly on a test rig these days before being dropped into a frame? I'm sure they are.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three heat cycles then thrash the bollocks off it.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 11:20 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch a lot of this guy's videos and usually what he says makes a fuckload of sense.

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij7-LyOFlUU
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOb_PE7DKvE

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:23 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit for harsh 'break in' or run in is supposed to be to give more power. If it doesn't give more power, then there is no point.

However, I'm sure the longevity of an engine is not helped by doing this, so I think that the recommended break in or run in procedure is the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
For starters the mileage - it doesn't give anything a chance to wear. Then there's the location of the test - it doesn't bring in colder outside temperatures that would affect internal tolerances more. It also wasn't real world testing - bring in some short journeys where the engine doesn't warm up much.

Are engines not broken in slightly on a test rig these days before being dropped into a frame? I'm sure they are.

All engines are tested before they go into a vehicle - even Transit engines are hooked up, heated up and put through the entire rev range before getting approved. So yes, all engines are run before they see a bike/car/van whatever.

I personally used the 'savage' break-in method on my NC700, just shy of 80k miles with zero issues thus far and still achieving stellar MPG - doesn't prove anything in itself, but shows that it can't be a bad way of breaking in.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Fourte wrote:

All engines are tested before they go into a vehicle - even Transit engines are hooked up, heated up and put through the entire rev range before getting approved. So yes, all engines are run before they see a bike/car/van whatever.

I personally used the 'savage' break-in method on my NC700, just shy of 80k miles with zero issues thus far and still achieving stellar MPG - doesn't prove anything in itself, but shows that it can't be a bad way of breaking in.

Can you do a 'savage' break in on an NC700 Thinking

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:15 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

However, I'm sure the longevity of an engine is not helped by doing this, so I think that the recommended break in or run in procedure is the way to go.

The suggestion is that it is helped - certainly for the pistons etc, due to a better seal/bedding in between the piston rings and cylinder I believe - https://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm is the original page about this, oft-quoted.

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my FZ1 Fazer with just shy of 1000 miles on the clock, it was only a year old but had been handed over by Yamaha to support the TT travelling marshals, as a consequence the hero blobs had both been chamfered off and the rear tyre was FUBAR, so I doubt very much whether anyone had even considered a schedule for running it in

The bike was being sold at a considerable discount with a carbon Akro pipe so I figured what's the worst that can happen.

5 years and 38,000miles of not particularly gentle riding later, but with a yearly service & oil change, the worst is sweet FA ..... Very Happy

Hope this bloody post hasn't jinxed me ........ Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:43 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
[

Did you run it in on a dyno? No? Then you did a normal break in sorry to break your illusion, as I'm assuming you didn't do twenty laps of Donnington park at absolute maximum chat either.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
goto10 wrote:
[

Did you run it in on a dyno? No? Then you did a normal break in sorry to break your illusion, as I'm assuming you didn't do twenty laps of Donnington park at absolute maximum chat either.

Nor did the guy in the video above. Is he under an illusion too?
I know how to baby an engine, and I know how to work an engine - do you think this is a secret only known to you?
Put it another way, I didn't break it in by the manual, I broke it in hard.
Just because my results don't adhere to your predictions, doesn't make it wrong.

Essentially, I followed the Mototune guide:
https://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
No illusions. Just a method Rolling Eyes

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 17:58 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going to add, I always break things in as specified by the owner's manual. When it comes to this discussion, people often forget that this thing we take for granted was written by the actual engineers who built the bike.

They know better than internet hearsay, popular/unpopular opinion, broscience, and the grapevine.

If there are any scientific studies done that fairly conclude that the manufacturer's break in will ruin my bike, then I would deviate from it.

Otherwise I'd just trust the damn manufacturer. They're the people who built the bike, wrote the manuals, and have to sell a fuckload of these things to make a profit.

I doubt they're going to want thousands of people showing up to dealerships with fucked up engines because they got it wrong in their manual.

Boggles the mind.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:08 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Just going to add, I always break things in as specified by the owner's manual. When it comes to this discussion, people often forget that this thing we often take for granted was written by the actual engineers who built the bike.

I doubt it.
At best it will be a committee that has input for engineers.
And legal people.
Let's take a bike that does 100mph in first gear and matches a veyron for pace to that speed; and that for some people this may be their first motorcycle.
Now imagine for a second how the legal people would react when the engineer suggests "What we should suggest is that accelerate as hard as possible in the first gears, then make sure they use plenty of engine braking to slow".
Having a bike that exceeds the speed limit in first gear is bad enough - advising people to do that on their first ride, is rather asking for trouble.

Quote:
I doubt they're going to want thousands of people showing up to dealerships with fucked up engines because they got it wrong in their manual.

A bit like Apple wouldn't want people showing up to their showrooms with dead batteries that aren't user replaceable outside the warranty period?

Wink

(Of course in this case they intentionally break their go a bit further and intentionally break their products!)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when we get to the last word Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

Have you got any evidence of this?
I ask as I've worked for a short spell on a production line admittedly for cars, but the only testing on every car I saw was at the end of the line where they were filled with fuel, driven onto a roller for basic drive and brake testing. It was seconds of testing on each car.

The engine production line completed 100's of engines a day on shift, and there wasn't the test facilities to plug in each and every one for run up testing. They did random sample testing and every so often would take a random engine that would never then see a car, and they'd do endurance and durability testing.

So I'm calling Bullshit sorry.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:10 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Essentially, I followed the Mototune guide:
https://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
No illusions. Just a method Rolling Eyes

You do realise that the source you've quoted is the origin of ALL of the 'hard break in' nonsense that's available on the internet? It's basically a viral bit of fake news.

They talk total nonsense on that site.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
They did random sample testing and every so often would take a random engine that would never then see a car, and they'd do endurance and durability testing.

This.

The company I work for makes Aircraft Stuff, with significantly more testing and QA needed than any car, bike, van, lorry etc. We do not, with very minor exceptions, do any 100% inspections. If you're doing volume, it isn't economically viable, for any company, even at the prices some of these things cost. Most stuff is tested to an IEEE standard, and some to the manufacturers specific schedule. I may test on a CMM, laser scanner, or a simple visual check. The former checks add significantly more cost to a product.

Have a look around for Inspection Schedules, you'll get an idea of what is and is not realistic. I'll get the exact IEEE standard we use to pull set quantities of parts to test if you really want to get bored for a bit.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:13 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

They talk total nonsense on that site.

Which bits are nonsense?

The dyno section I thought was pretty well accepted for race bikes, at least.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
I watch a lot of this guy's videos and usually what he says makes a fuckload of sense.

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij7-LyOFlUU
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOb_PE7DKvE

Yip and he just put a video up debunking the OP vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiNsEsU8pGs

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what you lot are waffling on about, but to answer your question, the last word on break in is 'in'. Hope this helps. Thumbs Up
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:12 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:

The interesting and relevant part of that video to my mind was at 14:55 where he states there's loads of articles showing engines that hard break-ins burn oil.

Unfortunately he doesn't provide the sources for these.

It's lovely that he'd design some ultra complicated test with ESMs etc - personally I think a better test would be to just run engines and see how long they last.
With modern telemetrics, could probably get decent data from engines actually being used - but it would of course take a long time. (However engines taking 10 years to do 80k miles is of course reflective when compared to an engine sat on a bench doing it over a few months.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2