Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rear shock reccomendation: YSS Any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:15 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just add to this...

That I decided to replace the shock because I have an awful lot of filtering on broken road surfaces in my commute. At the moment the rear end is so squishy that the bike tramlines and randomly spits off in different directions when moving between 20mph and 40mph (prime filtering speeds) so in actual fact it's pretty dangerous right now.

The reason I went for the Nitron is partially because I've always wanted one, partially because I know it'll be built for my weight and partially because I know it'll survive a couple of winters. I realise it's a lot for a commuter, but I'd probably feel bad spending £265 on a shock that is not much better than stock and certainly not tailored to me, when I could spend another £165 and have something that is objectively awesome.

I've always not hit the go button on a Nitron previously because for my other bikes I'd like fully adjustable, but in this case it doesn't matter so much. I guess it's time to see if they are as good as people say they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Can I just add to this...

That I decided to replace the shock because I have an awful lot of filtering on broken road surfaces in my commute. At the moment the rear end is so squishy that the bike tramlines and randomly spits off in different directions when moving between 20mph and 40mph (prime filtering speeds) so in actual fact it's pretty dangerous right now.

Fwiw I've got three totally different bikes - weight wise, height wise, engine wise - and they all do that sir. Filtering on even slightly poor surfaces is usually a bit of a handful to say the least. There's the white paint to contend with, the poor surface, and - more often than not - a weird mini cambering effect where the weight of vehicles has impressed a dished concave curvature. It's a right bastard when you're trickling at walking speed - throw in a bit of greasy damp plus a pillion and fuck me, my visor's soon steaming up with the effort of it all. New-ish tyres are about the only thing that alleviate it ime.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:18 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Fwiw I've got three totally different bikes - weight wise, height wise, engine wise - and they all do that sir. Filtering on even slightly poor surfaces is usually a bit of a handful to say the least. There's the white paint to contend with, the poor surface, and - more often than not - a weird mini cambering effect where the weight of vehicles has impressed a dished concave curvature. It's a right bastard when you're trickling at walking speed - throw in a bit of greasy damp plus a pillion and fuck me, my visor's soon steaming up with the effort of it all. New-ish tyres are about the only thing that alleviate it ime.

My other bikes don't do it.... It also weaves at 30-50mph and the back end is verrrry squishy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:35 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Just to add to this, and to update the thread, I received and fitted my Nitron NTR-R1 shock last week. I went to work on the bike Monday and Tuesday and it was 'meh it's ok, a bit better than it was'. So on Tuesday night I got the GF to help me measure the static sag and it was far too high. I adjusted so with me on the bike the sag both ends is 32mm ( the reccomended amount for the VFR it seems) and I added three clicks of generic damping to the rear end. The bike is now rock solid but comfortable, confidence inspiring but not harsh. I rode over the broken surfaces on the M4 this morning, and it was like any other road surface to my newly fettled bike. For non suspension related reasons I took the Street Triple to work yesterday, and while it was better than the unadjusted VFR, it's far more twitchy than the current VFR setup. Not dangerous in any way, just a bit more 'exciting'. The VFR forks feel decent, and I used their damping to gauge the correct level of damping on the rear. This seems like a good choice.

Riding the Street Triple back to back with the VFR, I also noticed that the gearing on the Street is REALLY low. In top gear at 70mph the Street still pulls all the way to the top of the rev range as the VFR does in third. This means that motorway riding the Street is revving its nuts off, but the VFR is just about 4500rpm. The Street also encourages some, err, "spirited" filtering, which I don't really feel the need to do on the VFR. Don't get me wrong, it will do it if I want to now, I just don't feel encouraged to do so by the bike, if that makes sense.

So, the long and the short of it is, if you have a bike that tramlines, or is unstable or seems wayward, you can and should sort the suspension setup out. My bike is more relaxing, more confidence inspiring and overall a lot safer on my commute. I had my doubts about spending the money on the Nitron, but if even 10% of the improvement I've found is down to the quality of the shock, it was worth every penny.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2