Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VF 750fd engine/chsssis check

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Div
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:47 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: VF 750fd engine/chsssis check Reply with quote

Hi Ive just bought a VF750 FD 1983.I live in London and would like to find a knowledgeable mechanic to give the engine a once over plus other bits and bobs like fork seal ,flush tank, replace rear shock etc . Should any fault arise under inspection I would like assistance to bring the engine up to scratch and the same for the chassis and sub parts.The bike is running and is a generally sound . Any volunteers please,I can pay at reasonable rates for good work. 07448173172 Dave

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the engine UBG described as fitted with Cadburyshafts?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ignitor boxes are prone to melting, make sure the oil spray fittings in the heads are the most recent revision and be aware the gearboxes are prone to shitting themselves. Good luck!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:30 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Isn't this the engine UBG described as fitted with Cadburyshafts?

Yes...

The chocolate cam-shaft issue was rather inflated though, A-N-D according to Honda atributable only to the first batch of VF's sent to the US... not UK bikes.
Aparently the first production batch got unhardened pre-pro cams by mistake, and US bikes were subject to recall.

The model, however suffered its entire 18 month.. wow! Production run, with variouse lubrication issues, mostly due to an internal, but non integral top end oil-way-pipe grid made of steel brake pipe, that bolted down to the thin-wall pressure cast ali heads on fibre seal washers... between the differential expansion of the metals, and diferential expansion of the sections in the thin-wall pressure cast ali alone... before you chuck in any less than rocket technitial build or dullard dealer mechanic... I would include no-nuffink-DIY merchants, but Motorcycle & Motorcycle Mechanics (UK) had one as a cover-feature with the headline "Maintenance for Robots Only"... few DIY merchants were THAT brave.... (exept perhaps me... and I plead stupidity!) they 'leaked' like a sieve... worse than an old brit-bike... B-U-T cos it was inside... no one saw the puddle... just heard the knocking bearing!

The bikes DO deserve thier reputation as a grenade looking for some-where to go off... just not necesserily for the cam-shafts... which to all accounts, after that first US batch put egg on Honda's face, they sorted belt and braces toot-sweet....

Having announced the thing with much fanfare as "The ONLY way to make a four-cylinder engine water-cooled, and so meet the market expected power out-put and regulated emmissions, and keep the width to something that doesn't beg the engine placed even higher than in the air-cooled UJM's making handling a bit quirky... When it arrived in the show-room, it was actually no more powerful and a truck-site heavier than thier own air-cooled accross the frame four, CBX750F... and that engine lasted anouther two decades, used in the US 750 Nighthawk and later the CB750 Retro, like wot I got! Tough old boot that engine... mine still ent dead after a decade of waiting!

SO, all the complexity and convolution was rather proved to be a bit misplaced. Within a year when Kawasaki launched the first GPZ600R 900R's with accross the frame water cooled fours... the hype was rather dissolved.

BUT... Honda, deturmined to learn a trick or two from BMW who had only just abandoned the boxer twin they had been building since 1922.. decided to percevere with a bad idea and prove that development could make even a bad design come good... like the swapping ends porshe 911!!!!

The VFR750, and the RC30 were the result... and it wasn't until the release of the VFR800, that Honda admitted that actually, they lost money on every one they sold!!! Bit like a VW golf then... so they DID learn a thing or three from the Germans!!!!! Lol.

Greatest achievement of the VF750, was to beg Honda very hastily reverse engineer a GPZ600... wrap it in Ducati Paso-esque all enveloping fairings, and put it to market with much hype abouyt the weight saving not having to cast the Honda logo into the clutch cover saved... and call it the CBR..... which went on to be thier best selling model for oooh, a couple of decades or more!

VF750... TODAY!

If its still alive and breathing after thirty five years... Its PROBABLY a good'n!... or at least not suc h a bad'n!

A LOT however were imported to the UK as greys from the US in tyhe late 80's and early 90's, cos the US legend made them even less valuable there than here, and people literally couldnt give them away.

I would be more concerned to check the origin of the thing, as to whether it was a genuine Honda UK allocated import, or a grey. If Grey, its possible it could have been parked up very early in its life and not used cos resale was so low, or it had a minor fault like a flat tyre.

16" front wheel is pita to get decent tyres for these days, matching one to the 18" rear worse... its NOT a bike I would envissage using much, or hard, it would be a meet & show talking point... as in "Bludy Hell! It aint ate its cams yet!"

If there is ANY fault inside that engine... its pretty much scrapo before you start. They are a right royal PIT to work on; the motor has to come out of the frame to virtually do anything, access is so tight, and the carbs in particular are a pain, the bodies being different on the front vack to the rear, the jets different, and easy to get the wrong way around; spark plugs are an uncommon small size, exhausts a pain in thier propensity to rot out under the motor, and for manifold studs to sieze and shear and be even more of a bast'd to get milled out and replaced, especially on the reverse inclined back pots... shall I go on! Oh Yeah... then theres that convoluted PAIR of cam-chains and cam-chain tensioners.... which make the forked screw & lock-nut tappets look positively 'nice' to deal with, even though the rockers can twist!

OP A 'knowledgeable mechanic' would know NOT to go within a mile of one of these things.... a BRAVE and knowledgeable mechanic might be prepared to touch it with a barge pole... BUT..... it is a mechanics nightmare... it REALLY is.

Like I say... I would be more bothered about the things provenance, and whether the thing looked standard.

There were, in thier day, a host of upgrades and mods, both from Honda as official dealer service 'upgrades' like completely different oil-spiders in the heads... and more from the after-market that included external oil plumbing kits to 'try' and get around this warping issue.

Who knows what, in the last 35 years, has or has not been fitted, bodged or butchered.

Bottom line... even when brand new, there were 'better' bikes about on just about every front... as said, even Honda's own air-cooled CBX750, was lighter and more powerful and better handling; the GPz600 set new standards for four-stroke sportsbike handling and performance, the GPz900, proved a big four-stroke could handle, the FZ750 proved reliable and just 'nice' with its slant-4 lump and beam frame; only Suzuki persevered with evil handling over powered monsters in the oil-boiler, bendy wheel GSXR's!

Its a real 'land-mark' motorcycle... unfortunately, that land-mark says "Ere Bee Dragons".. as a rolling museum piece, it has a LOT of curiosity value, because its was proof of honda getting so much, so wrong, and begging the VFR series, as well as the CBR's...

BUT it is NOT a bike, you should have ANY aspirations about 'using' as anything more than a rolling museum piece... if it runs! Be glad... and hope it dont pop.

It's a 35 year old bike.. its not a first MOT fresh new one... and it was a bit of a grenade looking for a place to happen 35 years ago, let alone now!

Polish... ride CAUTIOUSLY to meets, making sure AA card and mobile is in your pocket, talk about its historical significance, ride CAUTIOUSLY home after, park in the shed for another two months until you dare do it again! THAT is the sort of bike it is...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Div
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:54 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: still looking for someone who knows this bike Reply with quote

As Motorcycle news said …. Probably one of the best handling bikes in the world. A Honda made a for experts .The one Spencer won the Daytona 200 on. One of the best handling bikes Ive ever had and I Rode in the Brands Hatch National GP before retiring and had wins in the National Production class on 2 stroke Yamahas and later in 4 stroke open races on a Yoshimura Honda. My last bike was a Frank Wrathall GSXR 600 ex IOM 129bhp . Both had superb neutral handling. We built our own 492 Yoshimura / Honda which was timed faster than the official Rutter Works Mocheck entry at Elvington that yearl. Its a great bike when sorted which it will be and they look a dream when they are virtually brand new like this one. Theres a fix for everything inc having a full rebuild at Honda Chiswick .So many thanks for the knowledge about the electric unit frying....that will be sorted.I got its started today and apart from a carb clean which is an easy job for me with small hands used to tinsy weeny plugs etc it sounds just fine with 37K on...the last time I rode one for from London the St Ives Cornwall it was a dream.It got noisy at 20k when a villain nicked it and used it in a bank robbery in Woolwich . He got away his mates where caught....and the bike was cremated.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the camshaft issue was over-inflated and I don't think it was limited to the 750 either. My brother in law bought a vf750 sometime in the mid-90's - camshafts were rattling loud enough to drown out a Ducati clutch. I bought a VF1000 in 1996. Lovely bike in Rothmans colours. Once I patched the rotting collector I found it was a bit top-end noisy, the cams were pitted and on their way out. Went to Northamptonshire and paid 600 notes for a low-miles replacement engine out of an interceptor. Got it home, pulled the lids - cam lobes were pitted and on their way out.

One thing I'm wondering though. If this is true:

Quote:
We built our own 492 Yoshimura / Honda which was timed faster than the official Rutter Works Mocheck entry at Elvington that yearl.

Why do you need a mechanic?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I don't think the camshaft issue was over-inflated and I don't think it was limited to the 750 either. My brother in law bought a vf750 sometime in the mid-90's - camshafts were rattling loud enough to drown out a Ducati clutch. I bought a VF1000 in 1996. Lovely bike in Rothmans colours. Once I patched the rotting collector I found it was a bit top-end noisy, the cams were pitted and on their way out. Went to Northamptonshire and paid 600 notes for a low-miles replacement engine out of an interceptor. Got it home, pulled the lids - cam lobes were pitted and on their way out.

I think they got the camshaft eating issues sorted out for the 800 magna.

The real weak point on them was they were also prone to breaking selector forks thus allowing a set of dogs to float about in the breeze. Mine did this and I soon found out it was pretty common.

A shame as the bike, when it ran right, was great!

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very early VFR750 engine screw adjuster and short rockers
OK ish but most parts No longer on honda lists but our mail Pattern part wholesaler has lots !
We (the Workshop SE20 8JY) would tackle but we pro's so NOT cheap with that age of bike you often better off DIY

If all is running well Change oil and oil filter air filter and maybe plugs careful check of breaks and bearings and ride it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

One thing I'm wondering though. If this is true:

Quote:
We built our own 492 Yoshimura / Honda which was timed faster than the official Rutter Works Mocheck entry at Elvington that yearl.

My thoughts too..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Div
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:31 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm ? Maybe I need a mechanic who has access to a carb synchroniser and a an ultrasonic tank to make sure the carbs are clean and synched. The cams sound good. So not bad deal !.... an almost mint bike with 37k on a sound engine ... looks almost mint / original for £800.... I did find a perished tube which I wll spend the weekend filing.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're far better off doing the carbs yourself for peace of mind...
..IMO.

Ultrasonic cleaner about 30 quid, Sync gauges available for about 40 quid.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:29 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err.. yeah... you know all these 'ace' mechanics that build/have built super-trick track bikes, you have raced..... B-U-T you dont own, and dont know who has a set of carb-manominters or a USM trich-tank....

Something here dont add up, especially when the motive seems to change....

You start by asking about giving a bike a 'once over'... that turns into a major service, and reveal along the way that your interest is that this old bike is just that, and you are more enthusiastic about how cheap, and apparently catalog it looked... and lots of outrage and chaff about Yoshimura motors and late 70's formula proddy racers, that REALLY doesn't add up, and isn't germain to topic.... b-u-t you niether wish to see it as a pampered classic, nor a hack-rat...

Excuse me if the signals I am getting are a little mixed up here!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1