Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where can I get a trashed bike to practice workshop skills

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Where can I get a trashed bike to practice workshop skills Reply with quote

At college training to be a mechanic, looking for a cheap damaged/salvaged bike that I never intend to put on the road. Just need it to practice dismantling,repairing skills. (not putting new bits on, just refitting old bits).

Any idea where I can source such a thing?
Everything on Ebay etc sites are priced high as they are repairable.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local scrap yards?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:04 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do a paddy. Lurk on the forum and offer anyone who crashes their bike, sets fire to it or has it stolen and recovered about tree fiddy for it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:15 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local Facebook groups.

Be careful that people don't just dump their incomplete pieces of shit that stand no chance of ever working again on you. Laughing

Loads of stuff on eBay is overpriced because the sellers are delusional with crazy ideas that someone is going to pay over the odds for an incomplete half broken dodgy project bike that hasn't been worked on in years.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Bodytard...... he has a shit heap to practice on... Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking. Stuff does come up. Look at sold prices near you:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories/131090/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&LH_ItemCondition=4&_nkw=%28scooter%2Cmoped%2Cmotorbike%2C%22motor%20bike%22%2Cmotorcycle%2C%22motor%20cycle%22%29%20%28spare%2Cspares%29%20%28repair%2Crepairs%29&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684&_pgn=1&_sadis=50&_stpos=PO1%202LA&LH_PrefLoc=99&_fspt=1

Countrywide now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycles-scooter-grip-runner-spares-or-repair/173639217293?hash=item286db4308d:g:9lkAAOSwP6pbr6BA:rk:48:pf:0
"Grip runner scooter saleing as spears or repairs as it dont run its missing the side caseing and its not got a battery and the throttle cable as snapped the plastics are scratched i have lost the logbook and i have for got the reg number so you will have to ring DVLA for it it has the keys in need of some tlc CASH ON COLLECTION"

£55, eBay, Sutton-in-Ashfield, though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sukida-125-scooter-4-stroke-spares-repair-LS57MLL-No-V5-Eng-turns-No-seat-carb/362462113452?hash=item54646ceeac:g:dDAAAOSwCyFbQ2lQ:rk:35:pf:0 (Aberdeen)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Spares-or-repair/173609930473?hash=item286bf54ee9:g:63AAAOSwlKlbq-Ut:rk:42:pf:0 (London)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peogeot-Speedflight-2-50cc-Motorbike-Project-Spares-Or-Repairs/163366526892?hash=item2609675fac:g:-kAAAOSwELBb3gT~:rk:44:pf:0 (Guisborugh)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jinlun-125-Motorbike-Spares-or-Repair-It-was-running-8-months-ago/253982870821?hash=item3b228f0d25:g:dAsAAOSwtQNb7a35:rk:52:pf:0 (King's Lynn !)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-TGB-Taiwan-Golden-Bee-Delivery-125cc-Scooter-125-Cc-Moped-Spares-Repairs/192725295303?hash=item2cdf52a0c7:g:lk8AAOSwMg5b7dAE:rk:54:pf:0 (Lancashier, buy it now)

Etc.....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:25 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"saleing as spears or repairs"

Wub

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:22 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Just do a paddy. Lurk on the forum and offer anyone who crashes their bike, sets fire to it or has it stolen and recovered about tree fiddy for it.

nah broooo thats my tactic Laughing

If you have a van, I have a bike you can collect for like... £300. It needs stripping down, cleaning up and building again so ideal really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with finding such a bike. I enrolled on a bike maintenance course 15years ago, and they had a fair few big, small and random bikes to work on.

Watch out for reality though. A bike that's stripped every week in class and then hurriedly thrown back together at the end of the week ready for the next class is nothing like working on a real bike with real problems like seized fasteners, stuck spindles, corroded water pumps and acres of rust.

My issue with classroom bike maintenance is that because your not going to put stuff back together like new with gaskets, shims, oil seals replaced etc and your never going to road test it, you'll never know if it really works properly.

You can't diagnose random intermittent faults and issues in a classroom, and stuff like fueling or braking issues in a classroom either.

For that reason I'd say your better off buying a cheap old bike that you want to rebuild and fix for yourself and then use it, as you'll learn much more that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I'd say your better off buying a cheap old bike that you want to rebuild and fix for yourself and then use it, as you'll learn much more that way.

This+1

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"saleing as spears or repairs"

Wub

Good one, wasn' tit.

"i have lost the logbook and i have for got the reg number"

Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:14 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

I'd say your better off buying a cheap old bike that you want to rebuild and fix for yourself and then use it, as you'll learn much more that way.

This+1

Is why if he bought my neglected pile of bike, he'd make money on it just getting it running nice Laughing

I just have zero time and its time to retire the bikes and get myself a sensible car. Neutral

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

nah broooo thats my tactic Laughing

If you have a van, I have a bike you can collect for like... £300. It needs stripping down, cleaning up and building again so ideal really.

TBH for what i need. just building mechanical skills.like remove and refit. i really don't need a bike that will be able to go on the road again as i wouldn't be putting new parts on it or diagnosing (as of now) old faults. I just need a hunk of junk which has met the end of it's like. So i'm looking for a bike that is going to be scrapped and someone sells the bike in it's price worth of scrap. but imho opinion i don't mind spending £300 on a bike which i can diagnose and get back on the road. however since i may not be the one necessarily paying for the bike it really isn't my say.

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Good luck with finding such a bike. I enrolled on a bike maintenance course 15years ago, and they had a fair few big, small and random bikes to work on.

Watch out for reality though. A bike that's stripped every week in class and then hurriedly thrown back together at the end of the week ready for the next class is nothing like working on a real bike with real problems like seized fasteners, stuck spindles, corroded water pumps and acres of rust.

My issue with classroom bike maintenance is that because your not going to put stuff back together like new with gaskets, shims, oil seals replaced etc and your never going to road test it, you'll never know if it really works properly.

You can't diagnose random intermittent faults and issues in a classroom, and stuff like fueling or braking issues in a classroom either.

For that reason I'd say your better off buying a cheap old bike that you want to rebuild and fix for yourself and then use it, as you'll learn much more that way.
One problem with this is even if i wanted to sell it on afterwards. i can't road test the bike as i'd need insurance to do it. and insurance for a 19 yr old is sky high and i only have an A2 license

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting the engine running on a bike and getting the lights working will increase a bike’s value.

For sale (bike) engine runs lights work, no MOT £ xxx.
Or.
For sale (bike) nothing works £ xx

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Just getting the engine running on a bike and getting the lights working will increase a bike’s value.

For sale (bike) engine runs lights work, no MOT £ xxx.
Or.
For sale (bike) nothing works £ xx

I found one going for £200 Smile
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811142429463?year-from=1970&advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=po80ju&sort=price-asc&radius=50&page=1&fbclid=IwAR0d74-8htQK4gjpFPLnTItMRRZoj6o7cCK4Qc6e-m-zcYAMe-FaCm3Hd4Y

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a CG125 for £100 took it apart, failed to put it back together again properly and sold it for £125. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for what Paddy is selling for £300 over that biketrader £200 bike any day.

Stick the reg of the biketrader one (OU61BHD) into https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ to get an idea of what's needing work and there'll be a lot more that needs doing than what the MOT man found last year.

The seller has already spend £19.95 on that advert, buying it sounds like a bad idea. Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Goulbourne wrote:

If you're just dismantling, fiddling about, etc, you could perhaps sell the bits, for "fast moving" components it seems you'd recover your outlay....

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:05 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt mechanicking by trashing good bikes.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the bike Paddy?

I have an sv650 in need of a bit of work but unsure on OPs budget.

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
What's the bike Paddy?

I have an sv650 in need of a bit of work but unsure on OPs budget.

Sorry for late reply. But my budget varies by bike. for example a 125 thats scrap won't be too big however a GL1800 goldwing would be a lot more. (just an example)

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a VFR750 you can have for £400 Wink

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

David
Have you tried Freecycle? It's a re-cycling site, where people post any old stuff they want rid of, and you can also post requests.
https://www.freecycle.org/browse/UK
Worth a punt. You might get lucky with somebody trying to clear out an old shed or garage.

David Goulbourne
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
David
Have you tried Freecycle? It's a re-cycling site, where people post any old stuff they want rid of, and you can also post requests.
https://www.freecycle.org/browse/UK
Worth a punt. You might get lucky with somebody trying to clear out an old shed or garage.

Thank you. Currently looking now. have yet to find something but im sure something will pop up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2