Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm gonna need it - there's a hill on my planned route Shocked Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in a little over 5 months, I've gone from getting out of breath going up the stairs once, to days that typically include this regime:

30mins jogging on the spot with 1 or 2min push to finish

15 push ups - tricky at first with the dodgy arm, and I think my good arm takes much of the strain, but slowly able to do more as time has gone on.
30 vertical leg raises
15 push ups
40 squats (without weight - probably time I started to use some weight for these, but they help to keep the knees flexible even without)
15 push ups
40 sit ups
12 push ups

Weights:
20 bicep curls per side.
30 shrugs per side.
30...what I call 'deltoid lifts' per side. Might have to drop these as I don't think my dodgy back likes them, I'll see how it goes a bit longer.
25 wrist curls
10 wrist rolls
15 bicep curls per side.
30 shrugs per side.

Sometimes a few extra reps of various exercises, depending on how I feel.

Light stretching before and after sessions.

"Per side" with shrugs because I don't have proper weights gear and am improvising, and also because I lack range of movement in my dodgy left arm, so wouldn't be practical to use a bar anyway.

Plus the back problem, dodgy knees, etc etc... Laughing
These mean sometimes I need a couple, or even a few days off now and again, but progress continues, so I just accept I can't push too hard.

I is pretty pleased with myself - think I'll have another biscuit Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran 10 miles this morning

rode 18 miles doing deliveroo tonight, 6 drops.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 km XC race, first time wearing spikes. Grip on the muddy downhill was amazing but did not enjoy the rest of it. Too much hard gravel trail, left heel and achillies were giving problems on the 2nd lap. Route was 1km longer than last time here and improved time by a few minutes.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

20/25 miles done for November Race at your Pace, I have signed up for December too. I might give the 50 mile challenge a go in January if I can up my miles slightly.

Im just chuffed I have made it this far. I still get exhausted and can't run continuously yet but my stamina and endurance is definitely getting there now. Gotta keep practising!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
20/25 miles done for November Race at your Pace, I have signed up for December too. I might give the 50 mile challenge a go in January if I can up my miles slightly.

Im just chuffed I have made it this far. I still get exhausted and can't run continuously yet but my stamina and endurance is definitely getting there now. Gotta keep practising!

cool.

I signed up for race at your pace, (cycling) 100 miles this month. Did that days ago Laughing

gonna keep adding a 100 miles each month

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a "gonna complete x miles within y time period challenge", I'm assuming not in one shot?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:55 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my grading for my green belt this evening.
I passed Smile Thumbs Up .
Pleased Pepperami is pleased.

We were pushed hard and I hurt from the soles of my feet all the way to the few hairs I have left on my head and everything in between.

A real positive for me was the after grading feedback.
My instructor said that my overall fitness has significantly improved compared to when I first started Karate with them.

A lot of fitness to improve before I go any further.

Keep plugging away Thumbs Up

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Is this a "gonna complete x miles within y time period challenge", I'm assuming not in one shot?

Yes it is, you get a jazzy medal and a compression top at the end of it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if this weight training is destroying my back or not. Had a few days of bad back pain. Then yesterday, felt not too bad, so did everything, with only a few twinges. Extended the jogging thing to 35mins too, still with a 1min 'sprint' to finish. Today, feel good Confused

Also, not really sure I need to take the jogging out on the road. It's clearly very beneficial as it is, legs stronger, cardio improving, flab disappearing - why do I actually need to run outside? It's not like I'm competing, just trying to get fitter.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

today, I think I have a Bedford Park Run pb. I did an 8 mile run all in, with a park run in the middle, just waiting for the official time, but I'm pretty confident I done it

some Deliveroo customers are going to get their pizzas a tad slower than normal this afternoon

been thinking I want to do martial arts, self defense again, cos of all the creeps and low lifes about at night when I'm doing my deliveroo Confused

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

been thinking I want to do martial arts, self defense again, cos of all the creeps and low lifes about at night when I'm doing my deliveroo Confused

I think I've decided there's no point for me, what with all my physical limitations. Which makes me sad, as I have discovered there's a Lau Gar and Kick Boxing club not far from me.

I loved Lau Gar Sad
But anyway, would it have been the same without Neville Wray as instructor? Thinking

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

You seem to be a good runner, that’s a damm fine method of self defence Thumbs Up
People can call you all the names they like and it won’t hurt if there is distance between you and them Thumbs Up

Not that my opinion means jack shit: as a method of self defence, I would strongly recommend Krav Maga as it is based on self defence and unarmed combat.
90% of what you learn will disappear when you end up in a conflict situation.
Your brain will go back to auto reflex and do what you are comfortable with.

I wish I was as good a runner as you, that would work for me!

Par cour and fast running, sounds like a plan Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I once got into a bit of a scuffle as a lad. Gave my opponent a front snap kick to the nuts, which quietened him down a bit Laughing
Didn't think about what I was doing - would I have done the same if I hadn't done any Martial Arts? Thinking

You're right though - better to get away from a conflict situation, that's the best defence. If you keep getting into scraps, sooner or later you'll come off worst.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
pepperami wrote:

I once got into a bit of a scuffle as a lad. Gave my opponent a front snap kick to the nuts, which quietened him down a bit Laughing
Didn't think about what I was doing - would I have done the same if I hadn't done any Martial Arts? Thinking

You're right though - better to get away from a conflict situation, that's the best defence. If you keep getting into scraps, sooner or later you'll come off worst.

Clearly you were comfortable with your front snap kick Thumbs Up and it must have been the 10% of martial arts that has seeped into your auto reflex

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Clearly you were comfortable with your front snap kick Thumbs Up and it must have been the 10% of martial arts that has seeped into your auto reflex

Yep, always been my strongest technique. Well, it's easy to do without any thought. I certainly don't think I'd have been trying to use blocks - I threw the kick because he threw a punch which didn't connect. Don't remember trying to block it.

But that's not what I'd like to do Martial Arts for. I loved the club camaraderie we had, which was largely down to the fact that Neville strongly encouraged us to enter semi-contact competition. But I also love all the sets (katas) and would love to have been able to study various weapons, which I could have if I'd studied for long enough. I messed about with nunchaku off my own back, and would love to have got as far as double broadswords; all just for their own sake, nothing to do with their actual combat use.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
today, I think I have a Bedford Park Run pb.waiting for the official time, but I'm pretty confident I done it

23:12 get in. Laughing And, 23miles for Deliveroo in the p.m

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially clocked up my 3,000th bicycle mile this year on Strava.

probably done more cos didn't record every trip

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race at your Pace - done! Im going to keep totting up my miles for the month to see how many I get to.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see everyone making progress. I slowed down as the weather turned and it got darker so invested a bit more cash into this with the aim of 4 hours a week just for the cardio work.

Cycling is not cheap if you go for the reasonable kit and I don't even lycra warrior it up Shocked. I'm viewing it as an investment in my health and should reasonably expect the kit to last for a good period now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hkXIwIOa4Vx5LWyKBSU-3DCQVKMYs8gg

Cycling specific use has a measure called FTP which means functional threshold power which translates to how many watts a person can hold consistently over one hour. This correlates as a gauge to your fitness level but is incomplete from a performance measure as it doesn't account for weight.

After roughly 1500 miles this year I'm at an FTP of 211 which isn't too bad really. I'll try to stay consistent and see what gains the indoor trainer can bring even with the layups I'm sure I will have.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended the jogging thing again yesterday. Now 40mins, with a 'sprint' to finish.
Today, did a double set of the weight training. No back problems caused! Why does it kill me sometimes, and others it doesn't? Confused

I blame Brexit the weather.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

did my first 50+ mile shift with Deliveroo today

had my first off too, banged my right knee and back of calf just enough to make me doubt I will do the half-marathon in 8 days time.

got a Strava top ten off road, not bad as I had a load of food and drink strapped to my back

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Extended the jogging thing again yesterday. Now 40mins, with a 'sprint' to finish.
Today, did a double set of the weight training. No back problems caused! Why does it kill me sometimes, and others it doesn't? Confused

I blame Brexit the weather.

I have an issue with my neck, feels like a trapped nerve, and when that kicks in, it's Tramadol for about a week, as I can't do anything.

Bit of an anti climax to my week, had a PT session today which I was looking to do better than Thursday, where I did several pb, but a dose of food poisoning last night put the kybosh on anything decent.

Crying or Very sad

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy and muddy Parkrun today, I was a minute slower than last week as I spent a lot of time sliding back down the hill. I'm still pleased with it!

I got my Race at your Pace medal and certificate yesterday. And I started the December challenge today Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained last night...... we did a lot of ground work. (Like wrestling but less theatrical)
Physically very draining . Shocked Sick

My weight came in handy last night as I was able to just flop on top of the fuggers and they struggled to get out from underneath me Laughing

It must be doing me some good (cardio) as I was puffing and blowing and my heart felt like it was trying to climb out of my chest by the time we finished.
My Gee was so wet with sweat I could actually wring it out!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 18 of 29