Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New build and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: New build and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Reply with quote

I've bitten the bullet and gone Ryzen. My previous system was Intel 4th Gen. My Windows 10 SSD has 'worked' in my new build including the drivers for my Rx 470 (HOORAH!). Will it all sort it self out or am I better off formatting the SSD and putting Windows on again? it appears to have loaded or bodged all the drivers as it works but I'm not sure it may be hampered by all the old stuff Intel related. Also it tells me my copy of Windows is no longer activated?

Thanks folks for any help.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:26 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format and reinstall. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always switched hard drives between different systems, you normally just have to install a bunch of different drivers. I believe with Windows 10 you have to sign in to activate it? The copy of Win 10 that came with my PC is only my second ever legit copy of windows (the other was Vista that came with a laptop) Laughing, so I'm not 100% sure, but when I re-installed Win' 10 you didn't have to activate it as such like previous versions of windows, just sign in with the account you used before.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that now, this computer is fast. Thanks for the advice. I decided to go for Ryzen as it had a greater availability and better upgrade path than my old Haswell system.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows has detected that it is in a new PC, you should activate windows over the phone, you can get to talk to someone in person that activates it for you.

Just play dumb and say your PC broke and you took it to a store to repair and they said they changed the mainboard.

I've done it about 5 times in the past, once was refused as I told them I built a new PC and moved the HDD with windows on it across. They said as the windows was used in another PC, it cant be moved over as it was an OEM licence.

If you have the full retail version, I think you can put it on whatever you want, as long as its the only one active computer with that licence on it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that happened with XP but is that still the case? Confused

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I know that happened with XP but is that still the case? Confused

Yeah you can still do it, but it seems they have an online chat system now.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/activate-windows-10-license-microsoft-support/

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the serial key number in again and it's worked, WINDOWS IS ACTIVATED WITH A DIGITAL LICENSE.

All good.

The Ryzen system is a lot quicker than my old Haswell; despite only having 8 gig ram opposed to 16 on the I5.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
The Ryzen system is a lot quicker than my old Haswell; despite only having 8 gig ram opposed to 16 on the I5.

I have my PC set to display memory usage in-game and I’ve yet to see it using 8GB. I play mostly strategy games too, which seem quite heavy on the system in that department with so many individual movements.

A fresh build always feels lightning fast anyway, give it a few months of installing crap and forgetting about it* or clogging up your C drive with multiple phone backups and you’ll slow down to normal.

*recently rediscovered a whole host of software I’d installed for playing around with a Pi, which is now itself sat in a drawer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1