Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone had their bike blown over by wind?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

hismaimai8888
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:07 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Anyone had their bike blown over by wind? Reply with quote

Left my bike parked outside over night with a motorcycle cover (oxford stormex), I also used the buckle under the bike so the cover is secured on the bike, and there are somewhat big winds in my area, was wondering if anyone had ever had their bike blown over on its side using a cover?

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:11 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it happens.

Park your bike with front facing into the wind.
And/or remove cover if expecting very high winds.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:50 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, happened to my 125 when I was a kid. One of those things.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
Never understood people who use a cover when the bike is their daily form of transport.

It's an unnecessary faff which speeds up rust especially if you put it on wet and as OP as found out acts as a sail in windy weather.

Is that so? I've been told it's best to keep putting the cover on to protect the bike. I was told of a bike which had been in use by a girlfriend who didn't bother with a cover and the bike was ruined. So always put the cover on was the moral of the story.

But if it speeds up rust...? Seems there are conflicting views. What are other forum users thoughts on covers for daily use? What about putting the cover on but leaving space for airflow under the bike if it's wet?

I do leave it off if it's going to be very windy.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike got blown over by the wind once, I picked it up Thumbs Up

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
KITT wrote:
Never understood people who use a cover when the bike is their daily form of transport.

It's an unnecessary faff which speeds up rust especially if you put it on wet and as OP as found out acts as a sail in windy weather.

Is that so? I've been told it's best to keep putting the cover on to protect the bike. I was told of a bike which had been in use by a girlfriend who didn't bother with a cover and the bike was ruined. So always put the cover on was the moral of the story.

But if it speeds up rust...? Seems there are conflicting views. What are other forum users thoughts on covers for daily use? What about putting the cover on but leaving space for airflow under the bike if it's wet?

Your talking to a bloke who once welded a front sprocked on to a varadero 125 and snapped a spark plug off in the head of his fazer, then make a complete hash of trying to get the remains out

I wouldn't take any advice from him
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:

Often recommended as an anti-theft device, especially with more nickable bikes; if the scrotes don't actually see the machine (along whatever anti-theft precautions might be hidden under the cover), more often than not they'll move on to the next bike.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:

Ignore this comment, any form of protection, weather & security is better than nothing !

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is that putting the cover on right after a wet ride traps residual heat from the engine, and helps things dry out a little bit.

Also yes, winds can and will knock bikes over. Worst is when the cover slips, the strap snags on something like a wingmirror and the whole thing turns into a parasail that drags the bike over. When I had my old KLE I used to sidestand it then use a bungee cord to lash the lean side handlebar to a nearby drain cover, hoping that would stop it toppling over if the wind lifted it. Absolutely no proof that it worked though, aside from it never fell over after I started doing that.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XV535 went over in a light breeze. Bandit has stayed upright so far, but the nudge sensor on the alarm goes crazy if I have the cover on when it's windy, so the cover comes off in foul weather.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:

You are a moron and your car is a PIECE OF FARKING SHITE.... Mr. Green

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Your talking to a bloke who

...also has a garage. Having seen the state of bikes left outside with no cover, and used covers myself, I'd always use a cover.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:

I agree. I used covers when I had to keep the bikes outside but not when they were hot, and I removed the cover at every dry opportunity to let air circulate. I left my first bike under a cover in the front yard over one Christmas thinking it was sheltered and it got blown over, but fortunately the locked bars hit the garden wall and stopped it falling. If I hadn't got a garage now I'd still use a cover, but not constantly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:26 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mates Sv650 once blew over the top of its sidestand! Wasn't immediately obvious until he saw the scuffing on the tailpiece and master cylinder reservoirs. It hydrolocked the engine with oil too, lucky he was suspicious of this before he tried to start it.

Sometimes you just need to tie them down (a lot of bikes went over that night!):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4LvzQC1pGsJMqjtoGejJg1lptwtu3xygzRVQYvyREM9IhuD3dcHv1rzxX0W3yaYtfMswXA9Zu8WDHkv5IgkSkXHbt_oE3XQQH_FqM5-KTiPAHeZW3K0JudrXfr9JMgfWzlebOCiVFQ=w1164-h873-no

EDIT: If it's a worry and the bike is parked on your own property, consider bolting a bike chock to the ground, park it in this. They use these to support bikes in the back of a van when transporting them, they can be used as a ground anchor too. Many brands are available, this company does a thatcham approved one.
https://www.bumpstop.co.uk/

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
My theory is that putting the cover on right after a wet ride traps residual heat from the engine, and helps things dry out a little bit.

Or alternatively, it creates a mini steam room in which the bike is then trapped as it can't dry out?

Dunno.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A mates Sv650 once blew over the top of its sidestand! Wasn't immediately obvious until he saw the scuffing on the tailpiece and master cylinder reservoirs. It hydrolocked the engine with oil too, lucky he was suspicious of this before he tried to start it.

Sometimes you just need to tie them down (a lot of bikes went over that night!):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4LvzQC1pGsJMqjtoGejJg1lptwtu3xygzRVQYvyREM9IhuD3dcHv1rzxX0W3yaYtfMswXA9Zu8WDHkv5IgkSkXHbt_oE3XQQH_FqM5-KTiPAHeZW3K0JudrXfr9JMgfWzlebOCiVFQ=w1164-h873-no

Was it cold that night? Smile

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
KITT wrote:

If its windy, fuck trying to fit that thing on, LOL. As mentioned, you may as well have a sail, flapping about all over the place. I've ended up halfway down the road on windy days, and I'm quite a lump.

If you're that worried about leaving space for airflow if a bike is wet ... wipe it down before you go indoors. I tend to keep an old teatowel under the seat for wiping it down if I've left the cover off, nobody likes a wet bum in the morning, so if someone is gonna be absolutely neurotic about it being covered whilst wet, then just dry "the worse of it" off before you cover it. I'm inclined to be more concerned about melting the plastic of the cover, or scorching it with a hot engine if its one of them canvas things (but I wouldn't/couldn't lug a canvas thing up and over a bike, not enough strength).

I only really put a cover on every day, if I actually have a cover, but mainly only as a theft-deterrent (huh!) ... its a pain to wait till the engine cools off a bit, but its not like you have to wait forever. Park/lock bike up, come inside and make a cup of tea, engine has cooled down enough to cover after you've finished your tea. I tend to just chuck the cover in the hallway as I leave, then if it was raining in the night, it will normally have dried off by the time I get home anyway. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 11:15 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can give, from someone who uses a cover every day and who's bike lives outside, take the cover off when it's windy. Wind will get under it, especially if you've strapped it under the belly of the bike in which case a cover will act as a big wind sail.

Also if it is possible for you, park your bike next to a wall that will shield it from the incoming direction of the wind.

One final golden rule is to always park your bike in gear so it doesn't roll forward if the kickstand is lifted momentarily by the wind. It would fall right over if parked in neutral as the kickstand would lift up with the forward rolling motion of the bike.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cover doesn't seem to make much difference to me,

bike gets used all year round in all weathers to commute, not using a cover and using a cover have made no noticable difference to the deteriation of the bike.

washing it from time to time might help...

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:48 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's very windy I'll wrap a spare chain through the front wheel and wheel hole in the cover, holds the cover in place.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
cover doesn't seem to make much difference to me,

bike gets used all year round in all weathers to commute, not using a cover and using a cover have made no noticable difference to the deteriation of the bike.

washing it from time to time might help...

Deterioration? The only bits I noticed rusting on a bike I had for a few years were the flyscreen bracket (which was shit metal) and a scratch on the tank.

Until I see solid evidence I'm a cover guy, at the very least you avoid a wet arse in the morning, or birds crapping on your bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1