Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crash/ Valuation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Crash/ Valuation Reply with quote

I had a crash a few weeks ago, im only 3rd party fire an theft so my insurance didnt want to know (Hastings). they put me in touch with a a company called Auxillis.

They have organised solicitors, got my bike recovered etc in the mean time the car who smidsy'd me has admitted liability.

A company called "Acorn Assesors" have just contacted me with a value on my bike which I think is a little bit low - looking on the autotrader there are bikes more pricey than mine an are both older an higher mileage. According to Acorn they use prices set in "Glasses Guide" an thats what they stick to regardless of the autotrader. the price difference between my bike an the autotraders is about £700. do I just accept Acorn's price, or what do I do?

the valued the bike at £2860 for a 2001 Blackbird 40k, the bike was genuinely well looked after.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:30 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh don't use their claims management company... :O

However, I'd go back with examples of ads on ebay and biketrader etc and try to demonstrate the value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I fell into the trap of a management company.

Annoyingly after I had spoken to Auxillus on the Monday, I received a letter from Esure (car drivers insurance) a week after the crash to ask if i needed any help.

I contacted Esure an asked them to take over the claim etc but they wouldnt as the leeches (auxillus) had already begun proceedings Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the normal procedure is never to accept the first offer but saying that, I don't think it is pretty far of the mark TBH.

The few on ebay for that year are less except for one dealer trying it on. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Crash/ Valuation Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
They have organised solicitors, got my bike recovered etc in the mean time the car who smidsy'd me has admitted liability.

You mean referred you to a claims management company, and recovered the bike so they can charge the other side storage costs. At the end of this you'll get a letter telling you to collect your f**ked bike which you won't be reimbursed for Neutral

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Crash/ Valuation Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
I had a crash a few weeks ago, im only 3rd party fire an theft so my insurance didnt want to know (Hastings). they put me in touch with a a company called Auxillis.

A company called "Acorn Assesors" have just contacted me with a value on my bike which I think is a little bit low - looking on the autotrader there are bikes more pricey than mine an are both older an higher mileage. According to Acorn they use prices set in "Glasses Guide" an thats what they stick to regardless of the autotrader. the price difference between my bike an the autotraders is about £700. do I just accept Acorn's price, or what do I do?

the valued the bike at £2860 for a 2001 Blackbird 40k, the bike was genuinely well looked after.

Thoughts?

If it was their fault, you are entitled to be put back in the position you were in before the crash. If you cannot buy an equivalent machine with the payment, it's not enough.

Have a shufti at: https://www.aboutsmallclaims.co.uk/road-traffic-accident-compensation-claims.html

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually looking on eBay. the price doesnt seem that bad. Just feel a bit pissed off as I've just fitted a scottoiler, heated grips an Givi rack.

At least i remembered to grab my plug n go kit from under the seat ha

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
actually looking on eBay. the price doesnt seem that bad. Just feel a bit pissed off as I've just fitted a scottoiler, heated grips an Givi rack.

If those things are broken or lost as a result of your crash, then the other party is liable for them, too, and should compensate you for them.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:

If those things are broken or lost as a result of your crash, then the other party is liable for them, too, and should compensate you for them.

As long as they were all declared to the insurance company in the first place Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

As long as they were all declared to the insurance company in the first place Wink

Why would that matter, he isn't claiming or even involving his own insurance, just the other drivers.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Why would that matter, he isn't claiming or even involving his own insurance, just the other drivers.

As you say. He whose fault it was is compensating mudcow007 for his loss.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

As a engineer who works in insurance, claim for everything!! It works!

Doesn't matter what is on your insurance as you are claiming off theirs. It would help if you can provide receipts etc for items on the bike, or pictures that they are present on the bike.

Dont forget helmets & leathers etc..

Last edited by Moo. on 20:48 - 20 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
( 8< )

OT: Did you ever know a bloke called "Cluck"?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you've also claimed for your injuries (you don't say what you received; but even if its just the inevitable bruising and pain it still warrants compensation)

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
claim for everything!! It works!

Second this. My wife once wrote off her car and told the insurance she’d just filled the tank. They paid out for the petrol.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Crash/ Valuation Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
According to Acorn they use prices set in "Glasses Guide" an thats what they stick to regardless of the autotrader.

The clue is in the name, it's a guide, nothing is set in stone, it's just a starting point and everyone in the motor trade knows it, including Acorn

Since you are not in the trade, you don't have access to Glass's, but you do have access to classified ads, so that's where you look and it's reasonable for you to use those to your advantage.

As others have said, you're entitled to be in the same condition you were in before you were hit, bike, gear, accessories, the lot.

Might be a fight, but don't give up. .

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I hope you've also claimed for your injuries (you don't say what you received; but even if its just the inevitable bruising and pain it still warrants compensation)

If the injury is minor, then unless the injury is valued over £1,000 then it would have to be a claim made by the claimant in the small claims court. Over £1,000 (which is usually more than just soft tissue injury) then legal costs will be paid on the portal fast track scheme but from later next year, the minimum value for an injury claim will be upped to £5,000 although there are a lot of arguments being put forward to contest this ruling.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.C wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

If the injury is minor, then unless the injury is valued over £1,000 then it would have to be a claim made by the claimant in the small claims court. Over £1,000 (which is usually more than just soft tissue injury) then legal costs will be paid on the portal fast track scheme but from later next year, the minimum value for an injury claim will be upped to £5,000 although there are a lot of arguments being put forward to contest this ruling.

Isn't that to try and stop whiplash claims? My injury claim was a little under 5k, 4.5 years on I still get daily pain from said injuries. It seems like they're gonna be punishing a lot of innocent people to try and stop scammers Neutral

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Isn't that to try and stop whiplash claims? My injury claim was a little under 5k, 4.5 years on I still get daily pain from said injuries. It seems like they're gonna be punishing a lot of innocent people to try and stop scammers :|

It's not even about scammers, it's the ambulance chasers pushing these things on you

I still get about 1-2 phone calls a week from ambulance chasers trying to get me to claim the "money that has been set aside" for my soft tissue injuries (that i didn't suffer from, and have told each and every one of them i suffered no injuries) from a minor car accident (not my fault) from over 3 years ago

At one point, when i was receiving at least 2 calls a day, i very nearly caved in and claimed it, just to stop them calling me each and every day........ unfortunately though, i have principles Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah the whole 'industry' is a joke, from hire charges, to repair costs, to inflated or bogus injury claims. It needs sorting out rather than introducing an arbitrary number based on (I assume by what's been said on here) the threshold at which they properly investigate claims.

With the 5k figure I'm guessing that it's per person? If not then it won't make a difference, a guy at work boasted about getting 3k when he wasn't even in the car that crashed (a 2 occupant accident became 4 Rolling Eyes).

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar situation to you at the moment. Bike crashed into, other party completely at fault and admitted liabililty, but the engineers report for my bike falls about £800 short of a replacement machine. I sent through links to replacement bikes for sale in my area proving they were undervaluing mine, but this was rejected by the engineer. The last thing I did was sum up all the extras i'd put on my bike I had the receipts for (which in themselves total £1,120) and send that to my solicitors.

Also got this advice from T.C. in my thread:

T.C wrote:
Most insurers/valuers will provide a trade price valuation which is always going to be below the retail price.

You are entitled to be compensated for a like for like.

Go back to your solicitor and tell him/her that you are not in a positon to accept what is a trade price valuation for 2 reasons

1. You do not have access to trade prices. Only those actually in the trade have access to such low valued machines.

2. You are entitled to be put back into a financial position you would have been in had it not been for the negligence of the third party. Therefore you should not be required to foek out any additional money to be put into a like for like position.

The third party insurers will alway try and get away with offering trade values even though they know that 99% of the riding public do not have the facilities to but at trade.

Do you know a local dealer who would be willing to provide a trade price value that you can use to prove to your solicitor that you know what you are talking about?

Your solicitor cannot accept a valuation or a sum on your behalf without your permission, and most engineers do not have much idea of what is and what isn't a fair price.

The other alternative is to include the difference between the trade value and the retail value as part of your scedule of losses (similar to claiming for your excess) or get your solicitor to issue proceedings for a quantum trial (valuation trial) for a proper judgement.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Crash/ Valuation Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
The clue is in the name, it's a guide, nothing is set in stone, it's just a starting point

Which is pretty much exactly what my own insurer told me, before agreeing to significantly up the value of my written-off bike, in response to my whinging

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Isn't that to try and stop whiplash claims? My injury claim was a little under 5k, 4.5 years on I still get daily pain from said injuries. It seems like they're gonna be punishing a lot of innocent people to try and stop scammers Neutral

Partly.

It is in the main make it more difficult for the crash for cash scammers as well as the claims management companies who submit multiple false claims.

It is in affect upping the current basement value of £1,000 to reduce legal costs bearing in mind that even now if a claim is worth less than £25K it falls into a fast track portal case and law firms are paid a fixed fee of about £800 per case unless liability is denied.

Bear in mind also that law firms have also been allowed to deduct up to 25% of a claimants compensation to replace the success fee that was outlawed about 5 years ago, but it is a maximum of 25% and can in some case be negotiable which is why since the change in law regarding legal expenses insurance, LEI can actually be a good proposition these days as the success fee is not deducted.

There will be genuine people who miss out, especially those suffering whilash and minor soft tissue such as bruising, but those people will still have the option of issuing proceedings on a personal basis and be able to claim these costs back.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1