Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Have you ever had a bike stolen from your home?
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 28 ]
Attempted/Failed Theft
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 49

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 18 Nov 2018    Post subject: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

Hi BCF, it's been a while since I've been around - so please accept my apologies if this in the wrong section.

Last week I discovered to my horror, that my bike, whilst secured to the wall on my driveway (in a nice neighbourhood) - was prepped to be stolen. It was secured to a wall anchor using a quality chain, and a while back I noticed some scratches on the wall anchor but thought nothing of it.

However, the chain (fully intact and still attached the bike) had been hooked around the number plate - after the wall anchor was shredded; presumably with some heavy-duty bolt cutters (see attached image). Note that the wall anchor is pretty tough steel. I guess the silver lining is that the chain held up to whatever tools they used, since there's only some scratches and a tear in the fabric cover.

https://i.imgur.com/CS7sLPf.jpg

Since this incident, I have repaired and refitted my GPS tracker, and bought a disc lock alarm for added security. I'm also going to look around for a tougher wall anchor. It's not a high value bike, but it is personalised and I've had it a long time; understandably it is valuable to me, hence the extra effort.

Just sharing this for awareness sake, keep your bikes secured in whatever ways you have available to you! If you're in the Birmingham Area - be aware that this London-type theft has very much reached the Midlands.

Let me know: Have you every had your bike stolen, or an attempted theft, whilst it was parked at your home?

Last edited by simonjb on 19:27 - 22 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

simonjb wrote:
If you're in the Birmingham Area - be aware
that this London-type theft has very much reached the Midlands.

Tut Tut I don't see any acid or Angel Grindr action.

It looks like the bolt croppers failed on your chain and they attacked the anchor.

Got a security light? Got a dog? Reported to the fuzz on 101?
The more people report stuff the better a pattern of offending can be built up. They won't take prints though.

Seems like they were undisturbed for a while. Security lights with indoor chimes are available but the local cat setting it off at 3am will piss you off after a few days.

Zoned CCTV with remote alerts can be programmed to ignore small movements or movement outside of a ringfenced area, that can be made to ping an email or message to your phone to alert you to the thieving scum.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:21 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wall anchor wasn't tough if someone could do that to it with bolt cutter. Sad

I'd go for a ground anchor rather than a wall anchor.

https://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_60&product_id=60

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:27 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Reported to the fuzz on 101?
The more people report stuff the better a pattern of offending can be built up.

That times a million.

Ideally, report at the point of noticing scratches on the wall anchor.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

simonjb wrote:
Have you ever had a bike stolen from your home?

Yes, when I lived in that London.
Ste wrote:
Ideally, report at the point of noticing scratches on the wall anchor.

I find the following hard to believe but...https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/839462/burglar-signs-symbols-home-security
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:31 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So groundbreaking was this April 2015 revelation by the Lanarkshire Police that the British press appeared to have suffered grave amnesia on the matter of new burgling innovations. Both the BBC and the Guardian had cracked the mysterious “Da Pinchi Code” way back in 2009, and the Telegraph only got wind of the burgeoning threat of chalk symbols four years later, in 2013.

Like many claims of their ilk, what the housebreaker’s code warnings rest upon is claimants who believe they were targeted as potential victims due solely to unexplained markings found on the outside of their homes (or near their property, or on their vehicles) even though no evidence demonstrated any ensuing attempt was mde to burgle or rob them. These rumors typically lack any demonstrable connection between a belief in the presumed purposed of the markings and the actual intent of the persons responsible for them, or any details as to how police could have conclusively determined that symbol X was linked to the commission of crime Y.

Nearly all property crime is predicated upon the desire to enrich oneself or one’s interests with minimal effort, and an element missing from the belief that thieves pre-mark homes to rob is one that fails to sufficiently explain where the added value in such a proposition lies. It’s possible to burgle a home without first essaying a legend detailing its contents and the temperament of its occupants, an unpleasant reality of day-to-day life that plays out with unfortunate frequency. As mentioned in one of our articles about a similar legend, gangs of criminals working together can simply jot down the addresses of their targets and share them by a variety of means; there is no benefit or advantage to risking exposure and foul-ups by physically marking homes"

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/grab-and-go-code-chalkers/

Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I was right. Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"So groundbreaking was this April 2015 revelation by the Lanarkshire Police that the British press appeared to have suffered grave amnesia on the matter of new burgling innovations. Both the BBC and the Guardian had cracked the mysterious “Da Pinchi Code” way back in 2009, and the Telegraph only got wind of the burgeoning threat of chalk symbols four years later, in 2013.

Like many claims of their ilk, what the housebreaker’s code warnings rest upon is claimants who believe they were targeted as potential victims due solely to unexplained markings found on the outside of their homes (or near their property, or on their vehicles) even though no evidence demonstrated any ensuing attempt was mde to burgle or rob them. These rumors typically lack any demonstrable connection between a belief in the presumed purposed of the markings and the actual intent of the persons responsible for them, or any details as to how police could have conclusively determined that symbol X was linked to the commission of crime Y.

Nearly all property crime is predicated upon the desire to enrich oneself or one’s interests with minimal effort, and an element missing from the belief that thieves pre-mark homes to rob is one that fails to sufficiently explain where the added value in such a proposition lies. It’s possible to burgle a home without first essaying a legend detailing its contents and the temperament of its occupants, an unpleasant reality of day-to-day life that plays out with unfortunate frequency. As mentioned in one of our articles about a similar legend, gangs of criminals working together can simply jot down the addresses of their targets and share them by a variety of means; there is no benefit or advantage to risking exposure and foul-ups by physically marking homes"

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/grab-and-go-code-chalkers/

Wink

yes, but worry if you find some of these signs near your house

https://i.postimg.cc/FR8L5rVP/tumblr-oti1z0-V3-VW1uief8ao1-r1-1280.png

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:05 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
worry if you find some of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoAlZX0VJos&list=PLtYetg_vfpCqQ59Bw00F80PFi4W7TsD1I

Crying or Very sad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shambhala Shambollocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jElb5KPMRI

Smile

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

They won't take prints though.

why not?

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

I do have a security light - however I only discovered that it isn't working after the attempted theft made me more vigilant. Going up there to check and replace the bulb.

Haven't reported to the police via 101, but have filed a crimestoppers report - do you think this is enough?

Ste wrote:
I'd go for a ground anchor rather than a wall anchor

Cheers for the tip, evidently the wall anchor wasn't strong enough, lesson learned. I'll either get something beefier for the wall, or a ground anchor.

ART-ADS wrote:
why not? (take prints)

I presume because most criminals use gloves, probably won't have touched anything, and because it's a low-level crime without an actual theft taking place.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

simonjb wrote:
Have you every had your bike stolen, or an attempted theft, whilst it was parked at your home?

Yes.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

They won't take prints though.

why not?

Low level, so depending on the resource available to the local plod, it's doubtful.

Brick won't yield anything, mangled metal is mangled.
They probably already know the culprits.

That fingerprint alone won't give anything worthy for the CPS to bother pursuing, any amatuer brief could get the case chucked out from the outset.

Multiple prints at a fresh crime scene indoors is different.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Attempted Theft (or preparation for theft) Reply with quote

simonjb wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

I do have a security light - however I only discovered that it isn't working after the attempted theft made me more vigilant. Going up there to check and replace the bulb.

Light shot out with air rifle, or bricked?
They wanted to do it quietly, and without drawing attention, croppers are almost silent.

You want to make it a noisy lengthy affair, and get that boiling chip pan rested on the upstairs window ledge.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, which wall anchor was it?

I think the sad fact is if it's what they want, they'll just keep coming back. The trick I think is to make it such a PITA to swipe that they move on somewhere else. Alarmed disc-lock should be a pretty good deterrent I'd have thought as it'll make a racket if they try to move it?

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Out of interest, which wall anchor was it?
I unfortunately can't remember, I bought it 5 years ago or thereabouts.
ThunderGuts wrote:
I think the sad fact is if it's what they want, they'll just keep coming back. The trick I think is to make it such a PITA to swipe that they move on somewhere else. Alarmed disc-lock should be a pretty good deterrent
I'm thinking of replacing it with something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LX8C61E
And perhaps filling the anti-tool gap with something to make it even more difficult to destroy. I mean even hot melt glue would do something, but I'm thinking more epoxy resin and sawdust on both sides.

Now got an alarmed disc lock on also.

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Light shot out with air rifle, or bricked
Nope, bulb was genuinely just blown and had gone unnoticed. Doh! Embarassed

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say either get a big strong ground anchor and chain, and light the place up with PIR floodlights. Put a cover over the bike and an alarmed disc lock or something to make a shit load of noise. If the tougher security, being lit up like a beacon, and a noisy alarm that will wake up you and your neighbours don't stop them and make them run then nothing will.

Plan B is leave the broken light, and bike on full view at night with a normal nothing special bike chain through your wall/ground anchor, and hide in the bushes all night or buy a bivvy bag. If you can be fairly sure they are coming back first chance they get, then one or two rough nights in the garden might be worth it so you can bounce a scaffolding pole off their skull a few times

If you do go for plan B, just don't fuck about. As soon as you catch them and they need to have touched the bike not just stepped into the garden or opened the gate, hit someone very hard first and preferably enough times to make sure they don't get up. The more of them there are the more vital this could be.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:38 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If you can be fairly sure they are coming back first chance they get

The weak wall anchor thing was broken last week so they're not coming back at the first chance they get. Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who can't see OP's picture?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:26 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rehosted: https://i.imgur.com/CS7sLPf.jpg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOh - that's not good...

What constitutes 'reasonable force' these days I wonder.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:33 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable force can be lethal in some circumstances.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Reasonable force can be lethal in some circumstances.

Like when dealing with bike thieves. Thumbs Up

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Plan B is leave the broken light, and bike on full view at night with a normal nothing special bike chain through your wall/ground anchor, and hide in the bushes all night or buy a bivvy bag.

I wouldn't stakeout to hunt them per se. But if the alarm goes off and I catch them in the act, I expect the police will find plenty of DNA evidence from their scattered teeth Laughing

A100man wrote:
Am I the only one who can't see OP's picture?
Ste wrote:
Rehosted

Switched that expired dropbox link with the rehost - cheers!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1