Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Questions about travelling through Europe

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Questions about travelling through Europe Reply with quote

Hi, I am planning on going to Poland on Friday after I pick up a new bike from dealership on Tuesday. I have never travelled independently abroad and have no idea what to expect.
I would like to find out people experiences about travelling through France, Belgium and Germany.
If there is any motorway charges or what to look out for.
Also what to take with me.
It is a 700 mile trip and will be staying in Poland for 3 days therefore I am not taking much.
Will be with a pillion on the back.
Will use 3 different offline satnavs on the phone with back up and trying to sort out usb charger
We both have full biking gear Very Happy
AA in place
I have already roughly planned the route and expect maximum riding time of about 10 Hours without including brakes with minimum. Speed of 70mph.
The bike will be Yamaha xj6n (yes the wind will be annoying)
Will take any advice from everyone if possible!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be doing a lot of miles on Weds and Thurs - Zero chance I'd be sodding off to Europe on an untested, new-to-me bike.

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:40 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive to Germany often, Lille, Luxemburg down to the SW of Germany. If you're heading towards Belgium you should be toll free. France other than being on the other side of the road is similar to here, Belgium if you see an indication they are already moving into your lane. Should be good for 80 mph once you hit Belgium but the motorways can be seriously/dangerously (ruined two car tyres) potholed, Germany is bliss if you find non motorway routes.

Not done Europe on a bike yet so will leave others to advise there but am surprised you've not tested the bike with pillion on long journeys beforehand. I had an XJ6N and added the small Puig screen which made a big difference diverting the head wind and for me (5' 8'') made motorway riding more comfortable. .

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tested the bike but I am a really confident rider with a pillion. Ton of experience with pillion on motorways on a 125 Very Happy .
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service stations tend to charge for using the toilets. I've always found the Serways ones to be clean and well laid out. There are plenty of parking stops on the autobahn routes with more basic toilet facilities.

Doing lots of miles on an unfaired bike will be tiring, but everyone has a different tolerance for it, so that's your call.

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers guys, will I need some type of a GB sticker on the number plate, always wondered about that 🤔 also how are the EU countries with wearing tinted visors.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Questions about travelling through Europe Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:
Hi, I am planning on going to Poland on Friday after I pick up a new bike from dealership on Tuesday.
[...]
I have already roughly planned the route and expect maximum riding time of about 10 Hours without including brakes with minimum. Speed of 70mph.

Do I understand this a brand new bike, ie not run in yet, and you're planning on setting off on a 700-mile journey travelling at a more-or-less constant 70mph? Really not a good idea.

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 14:43 - 28 May 2018; edited 2 times in total

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Questions about travelling through Europe Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Hasujek wrote:
Hi, I am planning on going to Poland on Friday after I pick up a new bike from dealership on Tuesday.
[...]

Do I understand this a brand new bike, ie not run in yet, and you're planning on setting off on a 700-mile journey travelling at a more-or-less constant 70mph? Really not a good idea.

It's a 2012 with 4k miles, all serviced and prepared for the trip, will do a more throughout check after I pick it up.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Questions about travelling through Europe Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:
It's a 2012 with 4k miles, all serviced and prepared for the trip, will do a more throughout check after I pick it up.

Fair enough, then. Wink

Hasujek wrote:
will I need some type of a GB sticker on the number plate

For travelling in EU countries you'll get a different answer on that everywhere you look; including the one that states you still need a full-size GB sticker even if you have the little GB on the numberplate.
At 99p, it would be plain daft at least not to have one of those though. You really don't want to be giving foreign popo a reason to pull you over, even if they are in the wrong for doing so.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your V5 with you, spare key and paper copies of your insurance documents and carry them with you everywhere. Going through France you need a high vis jacket for both you and your pillion.

How many days are you planning for the ride there and back?
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
having spoken to a few guys no-one had any issues except one guy that dropped his bike 4 times and came home early.

Well there you go - I bet he didn't have a GB sticker

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Going through France you need a high vis jacket for both you and your pillion.

How many days are you planning for the ride there and back?

Is the hivis necessary, I am going on Friday and do it in 1 day and coming back Tuesday. Doing 700miles in a day may seem tiring but I am stubborn and deal with tiredness, I am used to 12 or sometime 16 hour work shifts in a high paced workplace on feet without regular brakes Very Happy

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the germans dig up the autobahns on sundays and their umleitung signs tend to be missing....

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:

Is the hivis necessary..........

only if you breakdown ... stupid fine if caught without.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:54 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're riding through France, be wary of French petrol stations. They're extortionate and you have to pay before you fill up which is OK in theory. What they don't tell you is that when you put your card in, they charge the maximum amount (150 Euros) out of your account until the payment clears and then they take out only the amount of petrol you've filled up with. Nine of us went on a Spain / France / Belgium tour last week and we all went overdrawn because of this stupid practice. I heard Tesco tried to do the same but lasted a matter of weeks before the uproar forced them to back down. Be aware that French supermarkets are cheaper to fill up than motoryway service stations so do that if you can.

Also, French drivers. They're dangerous. They think tailgating, pulling out without warning and generally driving aggressively is perfectly acceptable. French lorry drivers are even bigger *****. On two occasions I was nearly wiped out by some fucking bellend having no regard for anyone around them and others in the group had similar experiences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:43 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Oxfordshire to Barcelona and back last year and a bit of Belgium previously.

In terms of french riding a lot of good advice mentioned already. In terms of the Hi-Viz i would stick one on while youre going down the motorway anyway so no need rto worry about having one or not (your choice tho of course!)

The entire time i was there I saw 2 of the Gendarmarie on bikes and no other police of any form. There is also a speed camera sign about 300m (ish) before every speed camera so you can keep an eye out for them (not that you will be speeding anyway)

I ended up having to ride from barcelona to calais in one day and the toll roads all the way across france saved me abou 5 hours (but cost about 50 euro to do the length of the country) so you can cost the tolls up at around 10 euro for an hour saved depending on your route i guess.

Also in france dont expect every services to have petrol, some are just picnic benches and toilets!

Other than that dont ride like a you-know-what and you will be sweet i imagine!

Enjoy!

terry p
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:00 - 22 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

at junk-shone in France make sour you stop the police sit watching for the unknowing person to carry on and swoop and when there prey is court there fined you on the spot

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out re your sat nav apps etc in France:

https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/radar-detectors-in-france.html

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:

garmin have changed theirs to showing danger zones .. and not camera zones .. buy a garmin
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1