Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car Tax (VED)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Car Tax (VED) Reply with quote

Hi,

The wife has just bought a 2nd hand car from a car dealer, prior to viewing I checked tax/mot online, both present and correct.

When we picked it up, the dealer said she was doing something regarding tax but I missed what (to busy looking at the cars in the dealership), wife didn't pay for tax and nor did I when I settled the balance.

The tax is only £20 per year, so maybe the dealer has paid on our behalf, though I find this hard to believe.

Gov.uk is still showing the vehicle as taxed.

I thought tax couldn't be transferred when an owner change, is that correct?
I've printed the gov.uk page just in case I get stopped, however up here is covered in ANPR and i don't want a fine for the sake of paying £20.

What is BCFs opinion?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Very helpful.

Google backs me up in saying that car tax isn't transferable.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but, if the dealer has your details, then the car can be taxed there and then by the dealer, when the V5 is swapped over. Providing insurance is in place

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 21 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't.

And it will still show as taxed until they get the information it has been sold and make the refund.

However if you give the garage your details they can tax it for you.

One thing I haven't got a straight answer from anyone though - the tax refund is only whole months, so could you get away with saying it's still taxed to the end of the month and tax it from then?

Probably not, the gov want their pound of flesh twice Rolling Eyes

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out as the car was on a private plate, they were waiting for the v5c to be return, hence it was taxed but to the previous owner.

That was returned today, they then transferred ownership, which cancelled the tax, confirmed on the .gov site.

Took payment for the tax over the phone, receipt sent to me by the dvla just waiting on the v5c in our name and .gov site to update to say it’s taxed.

Odd that the .gov shows cancelled tax immediately but not bought tax, however they do say to wait 5 days.

Bit daft of us to buy a car without seeing the v5c but it was a main dealer so trusted them a little more than I should.*

It’s all coming out in the wash.

*not helped by it being a rare car** with other buyers interested, it was literally take our fucking money....
**nowt special just rare.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The systems seem designed to set Jimmy Public up for a fall.
From local council to the Foreign Office our Gov.kom are whankirs.
I just have to look at our Wheelie Bin Collection rosta to get an understanding of what gov.kom do not understand.
Whankirs.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

.gov site now showing as taxed with the correct days.

Happy days....maybe not now I have to be driven about by the wife, who drivers like my 6 year old drives in MARIO Kart.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1