Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Biking Essentials!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mason_pb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:19 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Biking Essentials! Reply with quote

I'm looking into buying a 125cc on a CBT as well. I do not have a drive, so the bike would be parked on my small front garden.

I'm looking for advice on essentials needed for getting into riding. I want;

A good motorbike helmet (Fullface)
Gloves that are textile but armoured
Possibly a lightweight but waterproof jacket and trousers
And multiple types of locks to secure the bike, such as a good strong chain/padlock, maybe a disclock, a alarm of some sorts.
A helmet camera.

Any help is appreciated, and preferably on a cheaper budget as I'm only an apprentice so can't afford mega expensive things, but still waiting t good quality.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ground anchor to chain it to.

Helmet camera is an essential??

mason_pb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:28 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Evil Hans"]A ground anchor to chain it to.

Helmet camera is an essential??[/quote]

Because I'm a young rider and can't afford expensive insurance Is rather have a camera so if something isn't my fault I can prove it. You never know what people are like.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

This^+1,........ also a substantial chain and lock for each wheel.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:22 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

An action cam is the last thing you need.

Helmet? One that fits. Sod make, sod colour scheme, to some degree sod price. You buy a crash hat to save head in an off, and if it dont fit it dont work. Plus, you have to wear it every time you ride; you dont want it to hurt, or you wont be concentrating so well on the road.

Also don't dismiss open-face lids so quick. On a restrictive budget, they have a lot to offer. The sacrifice of that chin-bar, as far as 'safety' goes is often illusionary. You face plant a Scania, that extra bit of unpadded non shock absorbing plastic aint likely to save your life!!! It may save some unsightly gravel rash on your jaw if you have an off, but.... you are usually sacrificing the better periferal vision of an open hat to get it, and you in that all important cost issue, not having a chin-piece and visor means you dont have a visor to fog up and stop you seeing where you are going. You can get brand new approval marked lids for perhaps £30... you need to be looking at closer to £300 until you get full-face lids that have visor mechanisms and venting that actually 'work' and work reliably, and STILL they can fog-up. Open face hats also tend to be lot lighter, and less of a strain on your neck, and have less to go wrong.

They have a LOT going for them, IF you can get past the emotive gut reaction "BUT I don't want my pretty face scraped along the road!" Which is where a LOT of the problems of motorcycle safety start... letting the fear of potential harm over-inflate the real chance you'll have an off to start with, or it will be that bad.

Gloves? Often under-valued, because they seem so small compared to jackets trousers or boots, but they are actually the more intricate and complicated and expensive to make, AND where you NEED the feel and mobility to work the clutch, throttle, brake and steering. 90% of the control of a bike is through your hands.. so again... why 'armour'?

Cheap gloves tend to be cheap gloves. A few bits of plastic on the nuckles aren't going to do an awful lot to stop fingers getting broke, in an off. If they stop you being able to feel the brake lever, or grab it as quick, or throttle though, they may actually 'help' you come off... and like the hat, need to be comfy, and keep hands warm, especially this time of year, cos if you cant feel your fingers cos of how cold they are, you are onto a looser when it comes to feeling how much brake pressure you are applying to stop the wheel skidding....

Water-Proofs are good.... Personally I recommend the cheaper one-piece over-suit. For about £25 you get something that keeps wind and rain out and covers multitude of whateverr you put it over.

Under that? Jacket & Trousers? Not essential. If you come off, padding is good. Cusions the blow, and gives material to be worn away before skin. So, layers are good, and this time of year, also help keep you warm, which also good.

You do NOT need chuck loads of cash at dedicated riding wear or expensive leathers. Common sense and whats probably already in the wardrobe can work wonders.

Good boots? Again, often false ecconomy to buy cheap, and no need for dedicated bike boots. Quality of many cheaper, budget bike boots is rather questionable, and they often have no more crash protection than a cheap pair of tall trainers, and in every-day use normal wear and tear, likely wont last any longer.

On a tight budget, 'sensible' outdoor or work wear is the recommend, and again, bit of improvisation, you probably already have something suitable in the wardrobe, or can get a pair of army boots or catapillar style work-boots off the market for under £30.

Locks and chains..... yup... you need some. Lots.

A small front garden doesn't sound promicing, bvike will be in full view of all and sundry and some-one likely to have a go at it at some point, likely pretty soon after you park it there.

Just as and possibly more important is parking the other end, particularly if, like at home, bike will be left in plain sight, for long periods, such as in the college car-park our outside work.

Some sort of ground anchor would be good, but again, improvisation goes a long way. Concrete a bit of old chain, into the lawn, so you can lock the bike down to something imoveable, could be useful, and cheaper, and possibly sturdier than something off e-bay screwed to a wall or paving slab with raw-plugs.

Again, improvisation and common sense goes a long way.

Absolute minimum kit? For all weather riding... IF you apply common sense and improvisation, you can probably gear up for under £100, with a £30 hat, £30 gloves, £20 work-boots and £20 water-proof over-suit.

Security? Good chain and padlock, and something to lock it down to IS absolutely essential, and far more effective than an alarm or disc lock or tracker or anything else hi-tech... A-N-D it don't have to be all that fancy.

ANY chain, is better than no-chain... IF you use it.... and the ratings and reviews get very involved in how many seconds it takes cut through with a pair of bolt-cutters or an angle grinder.... bottom line is that if any-one comes along with such tools to have a go.... the difference makes little odds... they will have it one way or another and making it a few seconds more awkward isn't going to stop them.... and if its not chained to something immobile... matters not a jot... they just lift the lot away!!!

So, as far as security goes, back to that common sense and improvisation... pay attention to find your parking spots; LOOK for places that aren't so in plain sight, or secluded, and do have 'something' like a lamp-post you can chain down to...

In days of yore, a lot of the kit that now seems so 'essential' (*Like an effin action-cam!!!!) wasn't even invented. We had to think a bit more about what was really important; make do and improvise and apply common sense.... and try not to bludy crash! No crash, not hurt! Simples! So that's where safety starts. Common sense and applying it.

But... CBT is but the first-lesson... and L-'s is for Learner's not Test-Dodger.... you want safe, learn to ride and NOT fall off. going it alone on CBT and L's is a plan to fall off.... its the school of hard-knocks, and it doesn't tach you what to do, just hurts when you get it wrong, to let you know it!!!

And it only gonna hurt more if you do that falling off in the busiest most hazard strewn time and place of a morning commute, when you are probably hoping not to be late and annoy the boss.....

NOT on your list, and should be at the very top, IS the full bludy licence... means tests, Theory/Haz, mod 1 & Mod 2.... cost £122 at last check... and you can self book and do on the 125 you plan commuting on.. and get that bit of paper that says you are at least competently qualified for that... wont make you anyt safer in itself, but the learning to get it will.... and THAT will do a LOT more to save hurt than crash-hat and gloves and riding suit... AND for a fraction the money.... go ponder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mason_pb wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Because I'm a young rider and can't afford expensive insurance Is rather have a camera so if something isn't my fault I can prove it. You never know what people are like.

That works both ways when you fuck it up and the other driver informs insurance you had a camera. Looks bad when you deny it. Plus your talking about spending money to save money.

No need for a camera. Save the money and spend it on better clothing.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:37 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

mason_pb wrote:

No... it REALLY isn't!

See comments above re-test. Prevention is better than cure. And a bit of action cam footage? Absolutely NOT solace to be able to say "SEE! I toild you it was MY right of way!!" as you went your way up the pearly stair-case.

A-N-D, here and now, on CBT and L's... the odds is that any action cam footage you capture, will show more faults that YOU make than it does any-one who helps you come off.... and that's IF the action cam is good enough you can actually get any footage that shows you anything, the thing is pointing in the right direction at the time it happens, and the thing isn't wobbling about with the bike vibration or wind wobble, rendering it pretty much useless.

You think that a £30 aldi-cam will do you any good? No... REALLY no, it wont. and buy the timne you have spent up the market to get something that might, you will have spent as much as taking tests.

It's a complete red-herring, and just HAVING an action cam, is likely to do more harm than good; EITHER, making you ride like a loon for more 'esiting' footage to show your mates or put on You-Tube, or like so many V-Loggers (so often cyclists!) paying more attension to what other traffic is doing trying to capture ther crimes on camera than you do riding and didging the situation likely to make you even get in the argument with Ins-Co "Oh but it was DEFINITELY his fault I got hurt and my bike bent"!... which STILL dont help, the fact you have got ghurt or your bikes bent!

Action cam does not offer ANY 'protection' tpo save you getting hurt; it does effalll after to make that hurt any less, or make it better.

Its utterly utterly unnecessary, and risk that it will give you false confidence you have some, perversely makes it more likely you WILL get hurt.

And IF you are trying to keep the budget skinny? Its just SO unimortant as to not warrant a second thought, and its diverting your worry and budget away from the stuff, that IS likely to actually help... LIKE getting the learning and getting the licence, and the stuff that help you to NOT crash to start with.

And how old you may be, makes chuff all odds to that. You STILL gotta pay for insurance, and it aint going to be any cheaper 'cos you got a hat-cam!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoPro-HERO-LCD-Touch-Screen-Action-Camera-Camcorder-Certified-Refurbished/183458716333?_trkparms=5926%3AKEYWORD%7C5079%3A0

Go pro for under 100 quid.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:28 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... £90 for a 2nd hand, 1080px, tele-tubie-cam... to maybe be able to have something to show insurance assessor from hospital bed....

About the price of both Mod 1 & Mod 2 practical, a good pair of gloves, or half decent pair of boots, or better budget crash-hat, OR a really good pair of actually sticky tyres for a 125....

Sort of puts that in context really.... decent, brand new tyres that grip road so you dont come off....OR a tele-tubby-prop, to maybe get some "Again-Again" action replay to show the insurance assessor, after you have....

Common sense... that's where safety starts.... its in whats in your head not what you put on your head!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
mason_pb wrote:

That works both ways when you fuck it up and the other driver informs insurance you had a camera. Looks bad when you deny it. Plus your talking about spending money to save money.

No need for a camera. Save the money and spend it on better clothing.

2 days after getting my first helmet camera (after riding for years), I crashed into the back of a van Embarassed However I still use it, you might incriminate yourself, or catch that driver who lies about what happens or crashes into you and drives off.

grr666 wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoPro-HERO-LCD-Touch-Screen-Action-Camera-Camcorder-Certified-Refurbished/183458716333?_trkparms=5926%3AKEYWORD%7C5079%3A0

Go pro for under 100 quid.

If I was going for a GoPro I'd try and get the 2018 model (I think that's the older one on eBay). With a firmware upgrade you can turn it from a 1440p to 4k camera (like the Hero 5): https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/35326005

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing about helmet cams is too many people use them to start vlogging.

If starting out on a cheap budget, a helmet cam would be a long way down my list of stuff to buy.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The worst thing about helmet cams is too many people use them to start vlogging.

It doesn't have to be a gateway drug Wink Think of it this way, if you do crash almost straight away you'll have a video to earn some money back from Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:07 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won't have made any money from that video.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a couple of cameras. A drift Ghost HD which I paid full whack for brand new about 4 years ago, which still
works great. And a more recently purchased second hand basic go pro which I've yet to have a proper play with. I won't be
buying another one for a while, they are just toys really. Have caught a few interesting moments on the rides where where
I am cammed up, but I'd struggle to fill two minutes of "interesting" footage. I usually wear the ghost on the side of my lid.
The go pro was intended to be rear facing when I do have a play with it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
He won't have made any money from that video.

Are you sure? I realise they changed it recently but I thought (close to) a million views was a sizeable chunk of change. Probably not enough to replace a CBR125...

https://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/15/13/82/47/utube10.png

EDIT: just realised why Brick Wall The music... I've made that mistake as well Crying or Very sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:20 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have 4,000 hours of overall watch time within the past 12 months and at least 1,000 subscribers.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say they changed it recently: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16899068/youtube-new-monetization-rules-announced-4000-hours

CBR wall-riding boy could have earned a decent chunk of change before the... err change.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a knife and get used to drink your own piss. You never know when you get stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1