Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Steering head: taper rollers, press or mix and ??match??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: bearing Reply with quote

Yes, but htf are you gunna get the old cone off and the new one on, or are you just gunna replace the bottom yoke complete !

Take that to its logical conclusion, get a new bike when the oil needs changing ?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:04 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He plans to leave the cone and put a new race over it... Which I think is a mistake. You don't know how much wear is on the old race, you don't know the tolerances used by the different bearing manufacturers and you don't know what crappy chinese fab shop knocked up the parts.

It is theoretically possible to interchange bearing parts:

Arrow If they are the same make

Arrow If they are the same model

Arrow If they are both brand new

Arrow If they aren't chinese copies.

That's a lot of ifs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: bearing Reply with quote

Yep, he shows talent as he says he has changed a main bearing on a 50cc crank, and/or buggered a puller in the process.........

Similar task.........did he get a new/s/h crank also ??

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that worked out OK. Components interchangeable. Cleaned, greased, refitted.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: races Reply with quote

Same protrution of the steering tube and enough upper thread available, some pics would help.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Components interchangeable. Cleaned, greased, refitted." Statement, not question.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

so a pic will say it all then !

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:24 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
"Components interchangeable. Cleaned, greased, refitted." Statement, not question.

That's a bit of a pratty response considering people tried to help you and you ignored their advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

That's a bit of a pratty response considering people tried to help you and you ignored their advice.

Sorry, but refer to my OP about the question, which was not answered, and subsequent posts about interchangability of bearing components. If that's no good, e-mail SKF (a bearing manufacturer) for further advice.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR.

Redundancy max+ to fit a new part of a bearing with an old part.

If you cannot replace all of the bearing system then leave things as they are.

The point with roller bearings is that a lot of wear is invisible to a naked eye. The wear takes place under the surface. The surface of a roller bearing flexes in service and it it this part that most commonly fails. Pitted surfaces one notices in 'failed bearings is usually due to not being replaced soon enough.
They should be replaced long before they become pitted.
That can be determined by OEM service guides or hard won experience.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The point with roller bearings is that a lot of wear is invisible to a naked eye. The wear takes place under the surface. The surface of a roller bearing flexes in service and it it this part that most commonly fails. Pitted surfaces one notices in 'failed bearings is usually due to not being replaced soon enough.

If sir would like a nice fairly exhaustive article about wear on bearings, I was about to pop this into the conversation (it's Timken's):

https://www.timken.com/pdf/5892_Bearing%20Damage%20Analysis%20Brochure.pdf

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

still bad practice, that's like putting a new chain on worn sprockets. Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:35 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
still bad practice, that's like putting a new chain on worn sprockets. Rolling Eyes

Agreed.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tell Skef & others about it. This is becoming like discussing Brexit with that other fellow. I'm out.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:49 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
So tell Skef & others about it. This is becoming like discussing Brexit with that other fellow. I'm out.

Well, you might happen to be the only one who disagrees with us...

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dremelling the thing off is not difficult!

Copied this from my rebuild thread:-

Quote:
I needed to get the bottom bearing race off the steering stem.
I haven't got any workshop facilities at the moment, just a, knackered, shed and a workmate type thingy, which means brute force, ignorance and a large hammer weren't going to solve my problem.
I decided to get the Dremel out!
It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, took less than 10 mins.
I made a diagonal cut into the race, just deep enough to get a flat blade screwdriver into the slot.
A halfhearted twist of the screw driver and the bearing race cracked and came off them stem with finger pressure, didn't mark the stem at all, result!

Sorry about the photo but you get the idea.

https://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/Troodos-Pool-Guy/XL125RC/XL125RC10_zps57c31992.jpg~original

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:53 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Dremelling the thing off is not difficult!

That's what I did with mine, I bought a battery powered dremel specifically for that purpose.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2