Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car license with bike experience

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Car license with bike experience Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:
Anyone got an idea of how many lessons is recommended, just out of couriosity or other people's experiences.

I've been driving for 31 years and riding for 6.
I had 8 driving lessons and passed without incident with very little driving experience before hand but I was confident.
There's no point in recommending how many lessons you need because everyone is different.
If you're confident with some road experience you may need less but of course if you're not and new to the road, you may need more.
I know my amount of road experience helped me to enjoy my bike training and pass the tests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally it's how many hours you had as (obviously) you can have 1 or 2 hour lessons, or in my case 1hr 20mins as the instructor drives you to and from a different area for your lesson Rolling Eyes

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

passed two years ago

been riding bikes since 1998is

I had six lessons took test failed had another two lessons in between and took test 4 weeks later

maneuvers where the main bit I needed to learn and clutch control with my foot
fucked up my first test as examiner gave me a random command coming off an island and I didn't hear and clipped a curb when I asked him
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to ride motorbikes on the road back in 1975,after three car lessons.

The car instructor pissed me off big time while having a lesson so I got out of the car at some traffic lights and walked home without paying for the 'lesson'.

I needed transport so as to get to Navy College and so a bike seemed like the easiest...and far more fun way to get about.I passed my bike test one month after starting to ride bikes.

It was not until 1984 that my then boss said that I needed a car licence for the work that was being put my way.Mrs Fizzer sat in our car with me as I had no time to get any lessons and then I took my test in that same vehicle.The next day my boss passed me the key to my new company car and sent me out to RAF Fairford to fix some electronic equipment that was not repairable by the RAF erks.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:14 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had loads of car lessons when I was learning to drive, back when I was 17 and had no idea how roads worked and the whole thing was very daunting. I was crap at it and passed on my 4th attempt, I just fell apart under exam conditions.

Id been driving for about 10 years before I finally took my bike test and sailed through it first time with a single minor, because I had 10 years worth of experience of being on the road and know how roads work, how to read traffic and plan ahead etc.

Same with my C1 licence, sailed through it first time with no problems.

I can only assume its similar in reverse, you know how roads work, as a biker you're used to spotting fuckwits about to pull out on you and try to kill you, and scanning/planning your route ahead. The only "training" you'll need is on the basic operation and manoeuvring of a car as opposed to a bike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
The car instructor pissed me off big time while having a lesson so I got out of the car at some traffic lights and walked home without paying for the 'lesson'.

Legend Laughing

Tierbirdy wrote:
I had loads of car lessons when I was learning to drive, back when I was 17 and had no idea how roads worked and the whole thing was very daunting. I was crap at it and passed on my 4th attempt, I just fell apart under exam conditions.

Id been driving for about 10 years before I finally took my bike test and sailed through it first time with a single minor, because I had 10 years worth of experience of being on the road and know how roads work, how to read traffic and plan ahead etc.

Same with my C1 licence, sailed through it first time with no problems.

I can only assume its similar in reverse, you know how roads work, as a biker you're used to spotting fuckwits about to pull out on you and try to kill you, and scanning/planning your route ahead. The only "training" you'll need is on the basic operation and manoeuvring of a car as opposed to a bike.

Speak for yourself I passed both of mine first time Wink I get what you mean although I think a large part of it is when controlling the vehicle becomes natural, then you can fully focus on everything else that's happening.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did car test lat year. Despite bing in a bit of tizz i passed test first time. My instructor was reluctant to estimate how amny lessons right up to the point he decided I was ready for my test and there was a 6 week wait for any of the localish test centres. Constantly told off for not trusting other road users, particularly the vehicles that seemed somehow dubious, moving out when someone was creeping at a junction, I'm not even sure most of the time what makes a vehicle set of the danger sense. I had to de-roadcraftify my driving some, which I did not like.

(But I'll never forget my ERS ride where a twat in a saab swerved at the last minute to not turn off and stopped the bike hard and nearly collected my obsever. Becasue I didn't trust the indicator, and the driver was looking in the wroing place for the way he was going. Driving instructors appear to heat that. )

And my examiner got so audibly frustrated that i didn't fuck up that I thought I had fucked up on the test.

Way easy compared to bikes as long as reversing manouvers and how to sight them are explained well. My instructor couldn't easily explain the difference between a sigting mark (ie something that lines up between your head and something external) or a reference plane (somehting that lines up with the vehicle independently of where your head is).

I'm about to do IAM in a car mostly to undo the de-roadcrafting i did to get through my test.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:34 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I wish there was some sort of continual assessment. Every ten years when you renew your license for example.

I agree. I drive a bus for a living, and when I joined the company (they provided my license training) I was mildly irritated at how many bad habits I had developed in just 12 years.

I'm also a believer in compulsory medicals at provisional application (I know someone who's legally blind and managed to procure a provisional), and again periodically, say every 5 years, like on a vocational license. The infrastructure already exists. Wouldn't be all that hard to enlarge the process.

The reason I suggest compulsory medicals (as opposed to the current self declaration) at provisional application is simple. As a kid I wore glasses, and eventually chose to stop wearing them as I thought they were ruining my coolness. passed my car test etc without them, applied or bus license, told I now need eyesight correction across all vehicle categories. Here's the kicker - when I went for my eye assessment for the DVLA, I took my old glasses which my Mum found in a drawer somewhere, my prescription hadn't changed. I'd been driving around for 12 years seemingly blind as a bat. Other than that, I have colleagues who only found out stuff like they are diabetic or found out they have glaucoma through the DVLA process. Over all, it would relieve some pressures from the NHS.

My thinking is along the lines of sort of a one stop shop for this kind of thing - medical appointment (referrals as necessary) followed by a short driving assessment straight afterwards. Couple of hours out of your life every 5 years. The flipside is that if there's something wrong - either with your health or your driving - it's in everybody's interests to know that now rather than when you end up in a farmers field. Vocational (taxi/C/D) license holders assessed by the employer (process is pretty much already in place at my work) and private individuals to make their appointment at the relevant facility. Could even do your photo at the same time.

harlzter
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:45 - 23 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The practical was a piece of piss, it was the theory it took me three attempts to pass, after the first two fails I bought the official DVLA disc from Amazon and found I was clicking too early for hazards so good obs on the theory are bad obs. Cracked it in the end with an higher score than examiners need.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally passed the car test in February. Wobbled around in a Ford Focus with an instructor who also rides talking about bikes and good roads while I settled into the car.

A week after passing my test I was driving a friends Focus with my GPZ on a trailer.

I had a couple of weeks where I did really stupid shit, possibly stuff that wouldnt have been aproblem on the bike, the rest of the time my instructor apologised for taking my money. I think I did 16 hours or so before my test.

It wasnt my first effort, I'd had lessons in 2007 and failed the test which put me off. I also 8had a bunch of lessons when I was 17 in 1990.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Wobbled around in a Ford Focus

Loose wheel bolts?

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Wobbled around in a Ford Focus

Loose wheel bolts?[/quote]

More like a loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat Twisted Evil

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 24 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a driving instructor ages ago in London, bikers were always my easiest pupils.
Probably because they already had road experience and they only had to get used to controlling the vehicle and weren't fazed by the roads and traffic.

Most coped very well as I recall and often had to be reminded to obey speed limits.

I passed all my motorcyle car and ADI tests first time
Brilliant rider/driver?
Nahh, just lucky.
Maybe its different now, but the car test in my experience was a lottery, I had numptys who passed first time and great pupils who failed, so I gave up trying to predict who would pass/fail.
You just had train them as best you could and hope for the best.

I had one woman who after passing on her third attempt told me she'd prepared herself by having a valium, a tiny swig of vodka and a few polo mints !.

the only panel on the car that never got damaged was the roof.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:07 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Maybe its different now, but the car test in my experience was a lottery, I had numptys who passed first time and great pupils who failed, so I gave up trying to predict who would pass/fail.
You just had train them as best you could and hope for the best.

I had one woman who after passing on her third attempt told me she'd prepared herself by having a valium, a tiny swig of vodka and a few polo mints !.

Sometimes the luck is just with you, when I passed my bus test there was literally nothing to deal with, other than my own shit driving. Examiner even added a few extra minutes on in the hope something came up to test my resolve.

And we all must know someone who had a little chemical 'help' to get through their test.

Overall though we send drivers out onto the road seemingly woefully underprepared. My lad's currently learning, and is basically ready for assessment (told to think about booking in the next few weeks), went out with him a few days ago in his own car, and to say I was nervous is an understatement. He already knows that he'll be getting further tuition whether he passes or not. On my dime.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offerfuksake!

Licence
Licence
Licence
Licence

https://www.gcse.com/english/licence.htm

It's fukin English. Learn it.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:43 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to drive round illegally in an old wolsley I picked up for £15.00. After that an old Hillman Avenger (whilst living in Gt Yarmouth). Moved to Nottingham did one lesson and passed my test in a Mini aged 17. Them were the days Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
Sometimes the luck is just with you, when I passed my bus test there was literally nothing to deal with, other than my own shit driving. Examiner even added a few extra minutes on in the hope something came up to test my resolve.

And we all must know someone who had a little chemical 'help' to get through their test.

Overall though we send drivers out onto the road seemingly woefully underprepared. My lad's currently learning, and is basically ready for assessment (told to think about booking in the next few weeks), went out with him a few days ago in his own car, and to say I was nervous is an understatement. He already knows that he'll be getting further tuition whether he passes or not. On my dime.

That's the problem, how do you gain experience without doing lots of lessons and it costing a fortune. I'm willing to bet the standard of those who have been riding around on a CBT* for say 3-6 months is higher than those who have been having driving lessons over the same period, despite having someone who's meant to be teaching you sitting by your side.

The thing I found most distracting when I started to drive was other people in the vehicle, maybe they should remove all passenger seats for your first year, young driver insurance might come down as well if the risk of potatoing 4 or 5 future rocket surgeons is taken away Smile

*obviously the risk of death or injury is initially a lot higher

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:11 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my car test first in 1998, but then did my CBT in '99 and then passed my test in 2000.

My CBT instructor was a bit of a pratt in training. He scoffed that any car experience we had would be useless. I have to admit the sense of speed on a Yamaha SR125 was... surprising. For the first week on my NS125R I don't think I really got much above 40mph, but after that I was fine.

I do think I'm a better car driver because of my riding, but there are different machine control and spatial awareness skills required for driving an enormous tin box.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sense of speed thing goes quite quickly IMO, then you have the opposite problem*, suddenly 50mph down your local high street feels normal where you wouldn't dream of such a thing in a cage Very Happy

The main thing I've probably taken from riding to driving is slowing down gradually, and keeping moving. This seems to piss off other road users who see every chance to stop as an opportunity to check their phone.

*except for at motorway speeds, I think it was Chris Harris who said (something like) naked bikes were the best way to prevent speeding.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2