Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YBR 125 Washer(s)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: YBR 125 Washer(s) Reply with quote

Hey, I am looking to do the first oil change on my YBR 125. From reading the Haynes manual, it mentions a washer inside of the drain bolt, and that it should be replaced.

Does anyone know what size and material the washer should be?

(I could take it apart and measure, but there are two drawbacks to that. One, the used one may not look like the new one did, so I might end up with the wrong measurements, and, two, if it needs replacing, I'll be without the bike until I figure this out and get some in. Ideally I'll have the spare part ready to make the job easier.)

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YBR-125-ED-Magnetic-Oil-Drain-Sump-Plug-Bolt-/331571920835

Replace bolt as well for magnetic one. Problem solved as it comes with washer.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Zl8AAOSw9V1ag77A/s-l500.jpg

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athena 19x12x2

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The magnetic bolt + washer feels a relatively expensive way of doing it, effectively doubling the cost of change. But at least I understand it! 😁

Ideally, I'd pick up a pack of suitable washers to use as and when.

For the Athena one, that's a manufacturer?

Which material should it be made from?

I get the 19x12x2 bit, can I get these from B&Q (or other hardware store) off the shelf?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:19 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year? They probably cost 50p oem from fowlers.

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What year? They probably cost 50p oem from fowlers.

It's a 2016.

What does OEM mean and is Fowlers some sort of hardware store, online or on street?

Haynes needs to up their game. For a subscription, they could have HD colour videos with all information and bring it from the 1950s into the present century. Black and white books with grainy photos and missing, basic info feels lazy. Rant over! 😁
jaffa90 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:00 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original equipment as used by the manufacturer of the bike.

Fowlers is a bike shop.

The gasket you need is number 9 at the link below and it costs (gasp) double my estimate.

Fucking hardware shop....

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5452390/ybr125ed-2014-51d3-europe-bluish-white-cocktail-1/oil-pump

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:45 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, whatever jaffa said do the opposite. Hes got no clue.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a washer from a hardware store, you really need to be looking at a hydraulic type dowty washer (google it if you don't know what one is)

The purpose of a sump plug washer is to seal your engine, and the washer needs to be able to "crush" slightly when tightened (or seal by a rubber gasket, like a dowty) and usually made from copper or aluminium, getting a steel washer from B&Q won't be able to seal your crackcase, and will end up leaking oil

So either do it right, and by the correct sump plug washer, or try to find a dowty washer the correct size for your sump plug

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: washer Reply with quote

Ask/beg santa for an early xmas present of a torque wrench as I feel you r gunna need one.

Money well spent.

Get a small one, 3/8 inch drive say from 4lbs feet to say 24 lbs feet, which will do most stuff on small 125cc engines ( and larger engines.

A bigger torque wrench is needed for ranges of torques above the 24lbs feet mentioned, but they are usually more robust fasteners and less easily sheared/stripped threads etc., like axle nuts etc..

What year is your bike and have you looked at the cmsnl exploded views as the oil pump section shows a filter, which may be a centrifugal type. The disc type looking thing part number 12.

You have a manual ?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:45 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ybrs have a flat gauze filter. You need to remove the clutch cover to remove it.

On the plus side you can wash it with soap and water (i used brake cleaner last time I did one.)

If you are gentle you can get the cluch cover gasket off in one piece. If in doubt get a spare gasket.

Paddy didn't clean his filter and his engine lunched itself......

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

The last ybr in the list on cmsnl shows the square course filter at 23 e ( part number 10 ) and a filter, disc type, for a few e's ( part number 12 ) in the oil pump section.

The clutch cover section shows the clutch cover gasket and its oil ways, so DO NOT use any sealer on that, get a new gasket.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:11 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That oil filter looks to be behind the clutch.

The gauze one just pulls out. I know which one I'd bother with, bearing in mind you can just wash it in the sink.

The only pictures I can find are in videos, so no links.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Oh, whatever jaffa said do the opposite. Hes got no clue.

On your bike, been doing it for years and when you were in your nappies. Razz

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Fucking hardware shop....

What's he like eh?
hardware shop, dowty seals indeed
He wants to go to a proper ironmongers
for some flax yarn and tallow and pack it with that

TigerWax
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:28 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/ybr_125/14-16/picture/sump_plug_-_drain_ally_washer

I'm using these washers on my ybr125 custom. If you are just buying the washers the postage will be ridiculous so I would order a few other bits at the same time.

Also this:

https://youtu.be/fmazZJXyDkM

Quick edit:

This is about the oil filter thingy mentioned above:

https://125ccbikeclub.awardspace.co.uk/oil.htm#Centrifugal-Oil-filter

Haynes manual mentions changing the gasket as well which is roughly £13: you can look it up in the Yamaha parts catalogue and order from a parts dealer near you or buy from fowlers.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big issue about a sump plug washer!!!
How many spark plug washers are replaced after a spark plug chop mixture check or a spark plug test / clean and replace.
It used to state "Take Beechams powder" on the rear of double decker buses in the 60`s but i never did.
Haynes manuals ??????????????????????????????

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: washer Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Ask/beg santa for an early xmas present of a torque wrench as I feel you r gunna need one.

Money well spent.

Get a small one, 3/8 inch drive say from 4lbs feet to say 24 lbs feet, which will do most stuff on small 125cc engines ( and larger engines.

A bigger torque wrench is needed for ranges of torques above the 24lbs feet mentioned, but they are usually more robust fasteners and less easily sheared/stripped threads etc., like axle nuts etc..

What year is your bike and have you looked at the cmsnl exploded views as the oil pump section shows a filter, which may be a centrifugal type. The disc type looking thing part number 12.

You have a manual ?

The torque wrench was delivered yesterday 😁 From reading, as the fasteners need specific levels of torque, sounds crazy not to use one nowadays.

I've looked at the Fowlers exploded pump view, what's the CMSNL one?

I've got the Haynes manual and online copies of the ones that are supposed to come with the bike.

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:51 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Ybrs have a flat gauze filter. You need to remove the clutch cover to remove it.

On the plus side you can wash it with soap and water (i used brake cleaner last time I did one.)

If you are gentle you can get the cluch cover gasket off in one piece. If in doubt get a spare gasket.

Paddy didn't clean his filter and his engine lunched itself......

There's a great YouTube video showing this as part of an oil change, the top hit under YBR 125 oil change.

Interestingly, the maker simply unbolts the clutch cover and a couple of the bolts on the starter motor and slips off the cover. If you went with Haynes, you'd be unplugging terminals, removing the starter motor, about ten other steps and then finally getting round to removing the clutch cover, just to grab out the mesh filter.

On YouTube, it's a 5 min job. With Haynes, it looks more like an hour. Is the Haynes method really necessary?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:54 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be incredibly cack-handed to fuck up the clutch cover gasket just by removing the cover on a 2 year old bike.

And its exactly the same as the YouTube video. I did one for a kid who came on here looking for advice a year or so ago.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: filter Reply with quote

Take another look, the diagram suggests ( shows ) the round filter goes on the end of the crank...;.....the last ybr in the cmsnl list, oil pump section.

OP what year etc is your ybr, can you post a cmsnl link to it ?

cmsnl, just google and follow your nose, get a new gasket, if you can get the clutch cover off with gasket intact bravo, some oe ones have heat activated adhesive and tear tear tear.

How many miles has this bike done ? well done for the torque wrench, so no sheared bolts, stripped threads ever from now on eh"!. money well spent.

which one did you get ??

the magnetic sump plug is also money well spent in my opinion, but so are filer cleaning and renewal. The oe round filter is some mere pennies........

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2011 YBR125 here at the mo and a manual too.
It has a strainer screen and a centrifugal filter on the crank.
The strainer is easy to remove/check clean etc as per that yootoob vid.
Checking/cleaning the filter takes a wee bit more work but while yer in there, why not do it too?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: washer Reply with quote

exactly!

post a pic.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:14 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by 'behind the clutch' is that it looks like the clutch has to be removed to access the filter, not that it's on the same shaft....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2