Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fuel gauge reading too low, digital.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:50 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Fuel gauge reading too low, digital. Reply with quote

So, the strumpet's fuel gauge is reading too all of a sudden.. I don't think its a stuck or broken sender because it also says empty when it's still got a few litre of fuel in it.

I'm guessing that either the digital bit (lcd display plus low warning light) is miss reading the voltage or somewhere along the wiring resistance has increased due to a fault.

Has anyone else come across similar and what was the solution?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wide swing at it.

I would guess that the sender/float is probably easiest to replace.
It would be sweet if the easier bit to replace is also cheap-ish.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:38 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
A wide swing at it.

I would guess that the sender/float is probably easiest to replace.
It would be sweet if the easier bit to replace is also cheap-ish.

71 quid and i can test it by first disconnecting it and checking thw guage followed by bypassing it. One shoukd give full and one should give empty. If the rest is okay.

The fact that its reading empty when the tank still has fuel in it indicates that it may not be the sender. It doesn't have a traditional airfikked float to puncture to alter its density.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Traditionally' fuel level sensor systems measured current between the battery and the gauge with the sensor inbetween.
The sensor was a simple reostat (variable resistor).
Empty produced a high resistance and full provides zero resistance (effectively). The gauge was an ampmeter (Or voltmeter can't remember)
The simple test was to supply 12v direct to the gauge if it moved to full then it was ok.
Change the sensor.

More modern stuff maybe changes the physics. Some sensor systems use PWM (Pulse Wave Modulation) and are difficult for the uninformed to test. They almost always need at least three wires at the sensors.
The old stuff was Analogue and easy to test.
I don't know if any bikes use PMW.
I'd look on eBay for a sensor/float.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPRINT-ST-1050-2004-2010-PETROL-FUEL-LEVEL-SENDER-USED-MOTORCYCLE/142997440633?hash=item214b4fc879:g:k7MAAOSwm4Zb2wWK

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:58 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two wires to the sensor. Its actually a rubber ring that floats in the petrol around a sensor tube and goes up and down witg the petrol level.

It should be as simple as you state to test, but because it's a solid rubber ring, i cant see how it can be floating lower than fuel level to record empty when its not. I can understand it getting stuck and reading low when it's full, though.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:23 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't see a low reading gauge as a major problem.... unless you run your tank to empty before filling up.

Fuel gauges are a luxury I've seldom had on bikes, so I just got into the habit of filling up after 100 miles and have found anywhere from 4 to 11 litres left in the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's using a more precise magnetic sensor. The rubber ring will be acting as a proximity switch.
The ring has a magnet in it that closes reed switches inside the tube.
That will energise sectors on the gauge to indicate level.
It's a suck it and see thing maybe.
You may be able to determine the sensors functioning by measuring resistance as you move the rubber ring on the tube.
I could be talking out the hole in my area too.

This shower of pricks sometimes post some usefulness.

https://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/245554-1050-fuel-tank-connections-help.html#/topics/245554

(***Beware*** Heavily Polluted by Murican Motorcycle Tossers.)

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had the tank off recently, pinched any wires or crushed terminals?
Checked output with multimeter?

It sounds earthy or wiry, chafing near the headstock happens on most bikes over time.

I don't have such luxuries as a fuel gauge, poor me has to reset the trip-o-meter every fill up.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory guess

It uses a black pipe sender thing
Inside is a 'ladder' of changeover reed switches with resistors between them
dese fings

https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xxl_ws/C300/MK23_90C2_01.png

As the magnetic float passes a switch it flips to the NO wire (signal)
and the combined resistance over the series resistors left in circuit
gives a voltage related to the fuel level.
the ECU read this volatage, translates it to fuel level and lights up
the appropriate leds

I reckon the sender is probably the bottom end of a voltage divider with a regulated voltage supply from the ECM.

If the magnetic float gets stuck or sticky , that will give erroneous readings

To test, you'd have to remove it and take resistance readings as you tip it upside down and back while watching the meter
I'd also read the voltage on the signal wire, if it's too low ( <5V)
that will give low fuel readings too.

Bad wiring and connections wil make it play up too

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a connector under the tank sometimes gives trouble, could be damp in it, easy fix unless corroded if it is that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:23 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not yet looked. I'm expecting it to be the sender but some of the readings don't respond to what you would expect.

I have a week off for crimbo so will investigate then. Tank hasn't been off since I fitted the scotoiler 3 years ago.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1