Base layers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:39 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Base layers Reply with quote

Hi all

After 5 years riding i finally got fed up of the rain and got some textile trousers, I get hot really easy so find I sweat quite alot if i wear the textile trousers only with boxers on. Thinking of trying some base layers to stop me sweating as much, any recommendations?

These ones look quite good but pricey

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/393496?r=GS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgoy478WJ3wIVzpPtCh3L2guMEAQYAiABEgJWH_D_BwE

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grab some from a sports/camping shop, they cost way less because they don't suffer the motorcycle label tax.

ಠ_ಠ

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:46 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear long johns from M&S and base layers from sports direct.

can be as cheap as £2 a piece and keep you solidly warm. If you just layer up you can be really toasty. Trick is lots of thinner layers not one or two thick layers.

M&S do really good thermal tops too, slightly thicker but ten times warmer.

Edit: Just looked at the link LOL 40 QUID FUCK OFF. Can get about 10 pairs of long johns and 10 pairs of base layer tops for that.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought some from Aldi when they motorcycle bits are available. They also crop up before winter as base layers for skiing.

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

merino wool .. keeps you warm in winter wicks away the sweat ..
lidl just had them on for £17 each .. I use them in the kitchen at work .. some parts of it are 30c others 5c

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Helly Hanson base layer that I paid £18 for. Been using it for a year and actually prefer it to my old merino layers.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:51 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

are the merino wools one "slippy" - i tried some old camping ones today and was a nightmare I kept on sliding forward - infact I will make a separate topic on that Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Base layers Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
After 5 years riding i finally got fed up of the rain and got some textile trousers, I get hot really easy so find I sweat quite alot if i wear the textile trousers only with boxers on.

That's why I don't wear them. I realise they're not much good on big boy roads but around town kevlar jeans with thermal long johns underneath have always been fine for me (during winter).

It depends where you feel the cold though.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:42 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap and they work
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Webtex+base+layer&_sacat=0

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab merino wool cycling kit from aldi whenever its available.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a t-shirt under my leather jacket, which I wear in spring, summer, autumn and winter.

I am from Yorkshire though and was brought up that it was "Gay" to wear a coat in winter on a night out.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:02 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 'merino' base layers (ups and downs) from go-outdoors. Their selection was cucking dire and i had little time to shop before I left for work.
They lasted about two months. Stretched to fuck and wore thin in the wash.
Can't remember the make but will not buy from there again.
The ones I have on now are called Icebreaker. 100% Merino. The knit is very fine and almost looks like cotton.
(Not dead thick like Rab stuff.)
I'm not in a severe cold place now but they feel comfortable enough.
I think they may be kinda expensive too. Can't remember how.much I paid.
I got them from a camping shop on Glezga Graham Tiso Outdoor.
Maybe available cheaper online.
The size I have is L- large but I normally wear M- medium stuff. So perhaps the sizes are a bit smaller than out std UK sizes are.

https://www.tiso.com/icebreaker/

Just checked. Shocked Phuque Saique...

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up some Merino Wool ones from Sports Direct via their Karrimor brand, probably meant for walking.

I don't ride often so rarely wash them, however they haven't changed shape.

If I hadn't bought those, I would have gone for EDZ ones.

Back to your original question though, whilst Merino wool with wick sweat away, won't adding another layer just make you hotter and sweat more? Or will the fact that it wicks the sweat away magically prevent this?

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Just grab some from a sports/camping shop, they cost way less because they don't suffer the motorcycle label tax.

What he said... Any good quality base layer will do. If possible get a windproof mid layer that sits over the base layer and under your winter motorbike jacket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mix of base layers that I have acquired over time. This includes a freebie EDZ one I got with some publication or other, a set of the Aldi/Lidl underlayers from a while back, a few compression base layers (Under Armour, Nike) I use for cycling and some thicker, thermal type ones from Decathlon. I pick and choose dependent on the weather.

For hot weather I still tend to put a layer on for the reasons the OP mentions - it helps with wicking and also helps put on and remove the clothing when you're hot and sweaty. If it's warm I'll go with the thinnest layers I have - as the weather cools I'll use a thicker layer and/or multi-layer. For ultimate warmth I have a Frank Thomas windstopper layer which is nigh-on impenetrable.

Cycling stuff is a good place to start, with Decathlon being a good VFM option.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:
If possible get a windproof mid layer that sits over the base layer and under your winter motorbike jacket.

I have an old Ronhill running jacket that I use for that - virtually no bulk, but makes a notable difference. I'm pretty sure I've seen a Decathlon one for £10 or so.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:11 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I think it is more of the material inside the textile trousers which makes me a bit hot and sticky (A* drystar) - I did wear some karrimor base layers I found lying around the house yesterday but because the material is that polyester type I just ended up sliding around in the trousers. I am thinking perhaps just standard 100% cotton long john pyjama type will help as I shouldnt slide around and my skin against the textile fabric won't be as sticky.

tbh i don't get that cold and commute year round in summer goretex gloves with no issues so not worried about being cold, it is more avoiding sweating due to my bare skin against the textile inner leg material

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got these - appearing in adverts below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160589392543
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:34 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid sexy Flanders.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:52 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Has anyone got these - appearing in adverts below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160589392543

OK until you need a dump Shocked

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
OK until you need a dump Shocked

This is also why I don't use my beka coolwear onesie very often. If you're in a situation where one-piece leathers are approprite, one piece baselayers are supremely comfortable, right up to the point you need a comfort break.

Current monday night game stratergy: starwars pyjamas beneath bike kit. Comfortable indoors and out.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont waste money on shit thin cotton, merino icebreaker is the way to go.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
dont waste money on shit thin cotton, merino icebreaker is the way to go.

"Icebreaker" base layers are quite expensive. Are they much better than normal Next/M&S thermals? I'd be interested to know as I am always looking at ways to stay warm on a motorbike in the winter Laughing

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them to be warmer and last a lot longer, I'm on the same set for the last 5 years now and I never got that sort of life out of any of the other options i tried.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1