Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Roller Garage Doors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Roller Garage Doors Reply with quote

I fancy the option of pressing a button on a key fob as I round the corner on my bike and just rolling into the garage as the door slides down behind me. Practically it'll give me the option of getting the bike out even if my missus' car is parked too bloody close to get the (current) up 'n over door open.

So, has anyone had one of these Bad Boys fitted? Ball park price? Hassle? Security issues? Reliability? Recommendations?

Ta Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:36 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend of mine ordered a manual roller shutter door for his garage a few years ago, as he was losing a lot of space with the up and over. He can probably give decent details of price etc.

I leant a hand to fit, we fitted it in a weekend (eventually), but the instructions were garbage. You had to 'prime' the spring by rolling it against spring pressure and using a suitable 'wedge' to hold it in this position while you did the next step.

The 'wedge' idea failed, and the whole fucking door unravelled itself outside the runners. Had to take it all down again, and it was a right pain rolling the thing up again straight AND tight enough as it came from the factory so it would fit back up.

Right ballache at the time, but had a good laugh about it afterwards.
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. £1150 fitted iirc or thereabouts. Keyfob control, looks like a bike alarm fob, decent range. Door itself is insulated and reinforced, tough piece of kit and as it's an integral garage (my place is a 3 story townhouse layout) the insulation has made a noticeable difference to the warmth of the house.

All in all I'm very happy with it. Plus there's the added bonus of just pushing the button, riding out and pulling your gloves on as the door closes and riding off. It may not look like it but it makes you feel a little bit like streethawk Very Happy

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the responses Thumbs Up

I think my terrible accident proneness and aversion to any form of DIY will render the idea of fitting one myself null and void especially if your experience has anything to go buy Goose Shocked Wink

I've been doing some research and the insulated roller door looks favourite as I have an outside door and an internal door leading off the garage so I'm really grateful for your reply TS, it's certainly given me more information than I've been able to garner on the plethora of traders websites that I've visited.

https://www.rollerdoorsdirect.co.uk/images/insexplain.gif

Did your fitters dig a gully to enable the door to slot below ground level when closed? I'm assuming that's what they do to improve security and reduce drafts.

Time to get some quotes (and hope that the oft used 'I'll pay cash if you fancy keeping it off the books and it'll reduce the price' carrot pays dividends).

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fitters didn't, I did afterwards. Any reputable company will measure up and make the door to fit and this means when the door is down and in it's "closed" position the magic hinges on the roller will extend, this makes it impossible to lift the shutter and just open it. Basically without motive power being applied (either by the electric motor or the hand crank override) the door will not open.

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TS - I'm sure I'll come up with more inane questions but I appreciate you taking the time to address them, Cheers Thumbs Up

Got any pictures of the inside/outside of it? Wink

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sort some out tomorrow, bear in mind mine is fitted in a reversed position so the roller is in a box mounted on the house exterior. Could probably have gotten away with it inside but this way gained me an extra foot or so of garage, it does look a little odd though. Technically the inside face of the door is outside and vice versa.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:21 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a double roller to my dads new garage a couple years back, I'm sure he got it for a few hundred quid, we fitted it ourselves (altho we are sparkies) .. easy to fit, good quality, they aren't super expensive really but well worth it for security and less hassle.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:26 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G's got one on his garage. It doesn't go on runners but rolls up. Its not electric but I'm sure it is designed to be 'electrified' as it were.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:59 - 03 Jul 2009    Post subject: Re: Roller Garage Doors Reply with quote

As Goose and Marjay suggest:
Think it was a bit under £300; I picked it up myself (in a van with no heating at the beginning of February, but that's another story) and fitted it with the help of a few others.

I found that, ironically, the bit with the missing instructions had my blood spilt on it from fighting with the door, so I was going to scan it and make a fuss, but never got around to it.

Apart from that, it wasn't too much hassle to fit, though a few hands are useful - afraid I don't know how much it'd cost to pay to have it fitted.

Mine was made to order as far as size goes. It does have runners at either side.
It's not massively secure, but the older door didn't lock, so it's better than that! Mine was a relatively cheap one, so none of this is that relevant to you, really.
It has survived, thinking, four years now actually; so can't be that bad!

You can get electrification kits which bolt on pretty simply. Have been tempted, but if you don't have other access to your garage you do also need to drill a hole through for a manual lock.
I'd want it to be openable from inside, so that I didn't have to wait standing by the door.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 04 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mr.H, I'd totally forgotten about this. Pics forthcoming tomorrow.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 04 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one - £900 fitted, it's a steel shutter similar to that you'd have over a shop window. It was here when I bought the house but I had the receipt

Which was bloody handy when it bust itself at 4 in the morning when the missus came home from clubbing Rolling Eyes

Anyway, called the number next day - they'd gone out of biz. Got someone else out - it was fitted incorrectly from the start and they were amazed it'd lasted as long as it had, it'd bust all the gears out of the motor tube so they had to be replaced etc.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is have it done right first time round - and get recommendations from people who've used the company in the past because there are a lot of cowboys in that industry.

The bloke that came round to fix mine was very good and recommended a Gliderol door, apparently they're the best type.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 04 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here y'go sir. As you can see, mine is fitted externally to give maximum space. I've also put a video up so you get an idea of noise level, the click as the fob is pressed gives an idea of how quiet the motor actually is. They're pretty much zero maintenance, not even cleaned mine in ages let alone needed to grease or oil anything. It could do with the concrete dust wiping off from where I chopped some gully out Embarassed

Video HERE

Steve H II
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:07 - 08 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Stuff, thanks very much TS you've really gone above and beyond the call of BCF duty here and I really appreciate your efforts (I'd dish you out some of the thumbs up stuff if I was allowed Shocked ).

BIG UP to arry, G and Sparks! for their input too Thumbs Up

I've had four quotes, the cheapest being £1200 the most expensive being £1500. I've got one more local company coming out this week and then I'll make a decision on which one to use (or attempt to play them off against one another in an attempt to reduce the price a little).

Thanks again Gents Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 9 years, 145 days between these two posts...
Teyv This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 fucking years, 145 sodding days.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:47 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teyv wrote:
(until i put a shilling in the meter)

Spam

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
9 fucking years, 145 sodding days.

Almost as old as the fackin' Doors. (I hated J. Morrison too.)

OP. Yer door is worn out. That is why the slats are falling apart.

Order a new door.

You will struggle to find spares for a domestic roller shutter. Most domestic roller doors are single piece sheet metal now.

Go online and look. Probably find a door for as much as it would cost for a fitted to fuck with the old one. And no guarantee that another slat will shit itself in a month or two.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Teyv wrote:
(until i put a shilling in the meter)

Spam

Doh!

OP. Get your Cunuk arse (ass) down to national tyre (tire) or Home Depot.

Kerenist
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:55 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a new house that has 2 9x7 garage doors. The doors haven't had any maintenance done to them recently as the prior occupants of the home were renters. I went to the local Home Depot and grabbed some lithium grease spray to lube up the hinges, the older steel rollers and the pulleys. After spraying everything down I noticed that some of the older rollers bearings just weren't any good anymore, so I went back to Home Depot to get 2-Inch 13 Ball Nylon Garage Door Rollers With 4-Inch Stem...$7 for 2 rollers, and my door has 10 rollers...so onto Amazon I went and found these puppies. I swapped out the older rollers for these and what a difference! My doors are so much smoother and quieter! I'm really happy with these rollers and they are a breeze to install.

You don't need to remove hinges and what not to get these rollers out...just find a loose spot in the track and use a screw driver to pop the old rollers off the track and pop these in. I swapped out the rollers on 1 door in 10 minutes tops by myself...no problem! I will be picking up a second set of these for my other door as they do such a good job. As the specs say, the shafts are about 4 inches long and they fit the standard 2 inch track.

Don't pay a garage door installer some ridiculous price when you can do it yourself very easily!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerenist wrote:
...$7

So why is your location midlands UK? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:25 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garage door spam is the new kitchen spam.

I'm not sure what Kerenist is selling though. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1