Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

mpd72 CPT
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Ok whatever

You're just making an argument for the sake as you did with your previous post, I'm not going carry it on.

Which is exactly what you did to me initially you hypocrite.

You dish it out but canít take it back.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnp72 wrote:

I don't know why I bother sometimes, when people just nit pick over wording.
I know 32-bit can only address 3.6GB, not all older machines are 32 bit though. Just to make you happy, maybe I should have written it as

"many older machines will only be 32bit hardware, so will be limited to seeing 3.6GB RAM. Some are 64 bit though."

Anything else you want to pick a pointless argument over?
What about Cucklio and his "if you upgrade from a 32 bit copy of XP to Windows 10 it will put 32 bit Windows 10 on".
Are you going to nit pick and tell him that you can't do an in place upgrade from XP to 10? No? Rolling Eyes

Why bother, the point I was making remains the same. It's not going to affect the advice given to the OP is it? Get over yourself.

And yet I was apparently on enemy when I wrote that.

Peeping again I see.

CBFcarl
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:19 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how this conversation has gone, I'll just leave this here, it seems apt.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1BKPSGcxQ&edufilter=NULL

Also, I've found that since I've upgraded the RAM in the old Macbook (Intel Core 2 Duo), it is a lot quicker, but I am still limited to the software that I can install, due to the OS being stopped - On older hardware, you can't automatically get the newest version of MacOS.

After xmas, I will be in the market for a couple of SSDs - one 128GB one for the mac, and a bigger one for my laptop. If I get chance this weekend, I am gonna put that one back to Win7.

I've just bought the mrs a cheap laptop for Uni. Win 10, touchscreen. 32Gb eMMC HD, 4GB RAM, with a cheap Celeron processor. I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole, but it isn't for me, and she wanted it - £130.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Also, I've found that since I've upgraded the RAM in the old Macbook (Intel Core 2 Duo), it is a lot quicker, but I am still limited to the software that I can install, due to the OS being stopped - On older hardware, you can't automatically get the newest version of MacOS.

Honestly that's one of the major drawbacks of OS X/macOS. With PCs you can install whatever you can find drivers for, even macOS Cool They also don't tend to completely drop software support, you have compatibility mode etc..

CBFcarl wrote:
After xmas, I will be in the market for a couple of SSDs - one 128GB one for the mac, and a bigger one for my laptop.

I'm still waiting on my uber cheap Integral drive to arrive (£13 Very Happy). I have the previous version which was £25, cheap at the time but now you could probably get a 240GB for that.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
[Are you on about Ram ?

Hi,
yes, i know there are different types/sizes and how easy it is to physically change them, but thats my limit so far.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
sorry for causing any arguments, but im pretty sure i said in my op i would like to upgrade from XP to windows 7 (i liked 7) NOT 10 (i just cant get on with 10) prefereably.

does this make it easier & less likely to cause any more arguments. no?

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the make and model of the laptop.

If you tell us we can look up the specs and better advise you.

Its usual a fairly straight forward process to change the ram. But without out knowing the make and model is difficult to advise you any further.

Some laptops have the space for more ram, some came already installed with the maximum they can support.

mpd72 CPT
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
Hi,
sorry for causing any arguments, but im pretty sure i said in my op i would like to upgrade from XP to windows 7 (i liked 7) NOT 10 (i just cant get on with 10) prefereably.

cheers,
GAZ

You'll still face the same barriers. Your laptop may have a 32 bit cpu, Win 7 drivers may not be available for it too.

We can carry on speculating, but as asked, if you can provide the full make, model name and number if there is one, we can check out if Win 7 is likely to work on it, whether it's worth it due to RAM restrictions and whether you'll need to get hold of a 32 bit version.

I upgraded an old Acer XP laptop to Win 7. All looked OK, until it turned out there were never any Win7 drivers for the USB controller.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
stirlinggaz wrote:
Hi,

cheers,
GAZ

You'll still face the same barriers. Your laptop may have a 32 bit cpu, Win 7 drivers may not be available for it too.

We can carry on speculating, but as asked, if you can provide the full make, model name and number if there is one, we can check out if Win 7 is likely to work on it, whether it's worth it due to RAM restrictions and whether you'll need to get hold of a 32 bit version.

I upgraded an old Acer XP laptop to Win 7. All looked OK, until it turned out there were never any Win7 drivers for the USB controller.

This is why I sent him to the Support pages, to see what was available for it,
The guy who has the Mac, 120GB SSD`s were £12 delivered this week, Hot Deals UK . . . .

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

No this is BCF Smile

As everyone else's saying we need the make/model. I've upgraded a few laptops to Win' 7 from XP, the one that couldn't was from 2003 or something.

From memory laptops sold with Vista offered an XP downgrade cos no one wanted Vista Laughing A relative had a Compaq from 2008 that still had XP (that upgraded to Win' 7 fine), as did a netbook I upgraded which I think was still being sold in 2011 with XP Confused

P.S. give us the model number Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
The guy who has the Mac, 120GB SSD`s were £12 delivered this week, Hot Deals UK . . . .

Back at around a similar price; £14 according to the comments if you do quidco or something: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-ssd-drive-560mbs-1699-mymemory-3129777 (or just pay the extra £3 Wink).

That's the 1st gen' drive which I have.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:42 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
& there was me thinking I could get a cheap CD, stick it in & it would do all the work Rolling Eyes

Anyway it's an antique Dell latitude D505
Windows xp pro but only 32 bit sp3
That enough info?
Scrap?

cheers,
GAZ

mpd72 CPT
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not worth the bother to be honest. It's not listed as compatible and would need a 32 bit version. You can check here..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/sln146400/microsoft-windows-7-compatible-dell-systems-and-system-requirements?lang=en

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother to behonest

Looking at the specs listed here - https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-d505/specs/

If those specs are accurate, Even if you could get drivers for it, it would run like a dog.

You could stick linux mint on it if you feeling adventurous. But otherwise I'd bin it. You can get a new laptop for around £300 these days

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, if it runs alright I'd use it but I wouldn't do any internet banking on it Smile Chrome dropped support for XP a while ago as did Firefox earlier this year iirc.

There's a workaround for POSReady updates, but when I tried it on a (similarly) old laptop* they just slowed everything down, I think it's getting dropped next May anyway.

*similar spec to yours actually but the previous owner had upgraded it to 1.5GB RAM... and it still ran like shit Smile It didn't have a dedicated graphics processor though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2