Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Renewing driving licence

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Renewing driving licence Reply with quote

My driving licence is up for renewal next month and I don't currently have a valid passport (so they can't use the photo from that). It seems my options are:
- go to the post office, pay £17 + £4.50 for them to take your photo Confused
- say I've lost my licence, £20 and they'll send me a form asking for a new photo (as no electronic photo is available)

Am I right in assuming the form will ask for a printed photo? Does BCF still recommend 'losing' your licence so you don't lose entitlements?

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:21 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PCV was up for renewal last year and I just included a short letter saying I refused to send them my old license because I didn't want them to lose any of my entitlements, and when I received the new one I would destroy the old one..... I've now got both.

As for the photo, just get an official that's known you for more than 2 years to sign it (doctor, police, solicitor, company director etc)... printed is fine as long as it's passport size and printed at at least 150dpi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:42 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping you wouldn't have to do any of that signature bollocks on a renewal (?). Respectable member of society or whatever, coppers, solicitors Laughing

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Renewing driving licence Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
My driving licence is up for renewal next month and I don't currently have a valid passport (so they can't use the photo from that). It seems my options are:
- say I've lost my licence, £20 and they'll send me a form asking for a new photo (as no electronic photo is available)

Am I right in assuming the form will ask for a printed photo? Does BCF still recommend 'losing' your licence so you don't lose entitlements?
can you see why I am hanging on for dear life to my battered curled paper licence. When they want to see it at work, I don't let them touch it in case they damage it, I photocopy it for them.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Renewing driving licence Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I would, I'm paranoid about it even though I've 'heard' it hasn't been an issue for a while.

As far as I can see, if you check what the online licence information tells you, that's what you'll get back.

Maybe Cool

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always lose, never send in. I have my last 4 still. Laughing Two paper ones, an expired plastic photo card and the current
plastic only version. I wouldn't trust the imbeciles at DVLA to wash a car never mind making sure the people driving them
are authorised to do so. That would take a well run department with knowledgeable staff, accurate record keeping and
using a bit of common sense as opposed to computer says no, bored, uninterested drones who stare at the clock waiting
for Friday afternoon so they can go into town to do the other thing the welsh do well. Wasted

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they not updated systems to be like passports yet?
I'm almost certain you can just take a phone pic of yourself and do it all online (passports) and once the new passport arrives you post the old one in.
I expect DVLA are still in the dark ages with this?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my old paper driving license, I lost it and have since found it again after I had applied for the new plastic jobbie Wink .

Whenever I correspond with DVLA , I always enclose a letter explaining exactly what I require along with the forms.
I also send it recorded delivery.

I don’t know if it ensures they don’t miss anything, but so far so good .

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

<waves hand at the back> Can I just say - in 40+ years as a the owner of umpteen paper/plastic licences, vehicles, addresses, offences (well not umpteen of those), and genuine lost licenses (or those), I can't actually recall a single time where DVLA hasn't done exactly what it was supposed to?

Have to say, with the number of times I've used my plastic licence for ID purposes I'd find it an absolute ball-ache not to have one these days.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:43 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used my passport photo last time I did mine. 100% online. I did not send my old one in, claimed it was lost and paid the extra.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Have they not updated systems to be like passports yet?
I'm almost certain you can just take a phone pic of yourself and do it all online (passports) and once the new passport arrives you post the old one in.
I expect DVLA are still in the dark ages with this?

It appears not. When I applied for my licence I had a passport so they used that photo, but I'm a retard and didn't renew my passport. I'm fairly sure the £4.50 post office potato don't know hot to fill out a form check was optional before, I thought they'd at least still have the option of getting a form, and sticking down a 'passport photo'.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I can't actually recall a single time where DVLA hasn't done exactly what it was supposed to?

A relative got their licence back with her title as Msss (I assume triple spinster)? Smile This is my first renewal so I've no real experience of their f**k-ups either.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Renewing driving licence Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
M.C wrote:

can you see why I am hanging on for dear life to my battered curled paper licence. When they want to see it at work, I don't let them touch it in case they damage it, I photocopy it for them.

Why cant you just give them a DVLA Code and let them view it online ?

https://www.gov.uk/check-driving-information

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Renewing driving licence Reply with quote

They are not that advanced yet, I'm sure they will ask for that eventually. In fact I have hired a few bikes and a car abroad this last few years and they still happy with just my old paper licence.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old licence is sent AFTER new licence is received so no need for the hand wringing snowflakery now.

🤣

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence#more-information

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I renewed mine recently. Even doing a normal renewal you don't have to send your old license away immediately - you can retain it if you are likely to need it for some reason in the interim such as for a driving course. I didn't send them a letter or anything although the form may have had a tick box to say that you agree you will send it at a later date or something along those lines. Can't quite remember. In any case I got my new license back and only then did I send the old one away after.confirming it was still correct.

I have the misfortune of having to deal with the DVLA on a semi regular basis for work purposes. They are the single most awkward, bureaucratic agency I've ever come across.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Old licence is sent AFTER new licence is received so no need for the hand wringing snowflakery now.

🤣

Skudd has just lost his A entitlement due to DVLA being useless.They're still doing Wales
proud, don't worry. Rolling Eyes

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to the post office and let them do it all. No problems occurred, perhaps I'm the exception?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
I just went to the post office and let them do it all.

It has to be a main one and I'm lazy. However the online service has been 'down for maintenance' the past two days so I might end up having to Rolling Eyes

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed address a few times in the last 4 years and always request a new licence. I've got a couple of my past card licences in my office after hearing about people losing entitlements.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:34 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DMV printed my licence in front of my eyes in Florida, no need to send anything anywhere....

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have found to my cost and should have known better the first time, ALWAYS SEND ANYTHING TO THE DVLA BY REGISTERED POST.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
MCN wrote:

🤣

Skudd has just lost his A entitlement due to DVLA being useless.They're still doing Wales
proud, don't worry. Rolling Eyes

I always call DVLA, 'Taffy Bastarts' because 'Bastarts' rhymes with 'DVLA'.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out the post office do still do the paper forms, I somehow missed that Brick Wall I couldn't do the lost licence thing online for some reason, so I've sent my old licence off with the form, a new photo*, and a cheque for £17. Bets on what I'll get back and when? Smile

*which doesn't need to be signed if you're renewing your photo/licence btw

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:36 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly. I recently had to do a GDPR request on my licence data because the code generating system was down and my f*ckwit employer turns out to have not had me on the company insurance policy since they took over nearly 10 months ago (but are providing me with a company vehicle, and taxing me on it), I pointed out that the person who comitted this cock-up is jointly liable for permitting if I get done for driving without insurance...

Anyway, here's the output. On DVLA headed paper. Note it has all the test dates and document references pertaining to them listed.

I wonder how that would stand up in court as evidence of having a licence should categories go missing. On the plus side, it is also free.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/s7joavMz-PlYLEG1unQMryrIM0tgXfu3HA_JW9YX2FMjdFe7LTd4SsHtxGHNJisYbOcm0il7V_xvnfomuyZs5spJTSKty5oC6z1iOKID1UB4Or5EOiocigTNcJ7qTanAl-MIqWiy5g=w606-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3gWpjK8Oq9ysQ9QEvd8RmiVtOqLLjrfYlGC613TMTwe1OiRrm3MqKA498xk2MnYwEtlMjaeuwdLrXzr2noiPXe4dOuLZZyk_Vsc8rmw8AYLNh8MNTS9eIt-nD9ARlyKfzK2OQTI93g=w524-h698-no

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I've sent my old licence off with the form, a new photo*, and a cheque for £17. Bets on what I'll get back and when? Smile

It's back already Shocked They only received it on the 10th. Oh and all entitlements are correct Dance!

One minor point, they renew it from the date it's issued, not the old expiry date? So you lose however long was left on the old one. I'm not complaining, as they said it could take 3 weeks I was stressing (a bit) I'd left it too late factoring in the Xmas period.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1