Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

sliding forward

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:55 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: sliding forward Reply with quote

i usually wear kevlar jeans year round and if it rains stick some waterproof trousers over the top and deal with the sliding forward for that day only.

finally got fed up of the random rain and wind chill and bought myself some textile trousers (alpinestars v2 drystar) - very good at doing the job however I guess with the kevlar jeans they really stuck to the seat but with these I find myself sliding forward a bit,

was even worse today as I tried some old camping base layers and made the sliding forward 10x worse, wasnt as bad yesterday when I just had cotton boxer shorts on and the textile trousers - just got a bit sweaty

does anyone else have this problem with sliding forward in the seat and has found a way to stop it (yes i grip tank with knees) - current bike in question is a 02 cbr f4i so could be due to the old leather seat im not sure, will soon be changed for a more upright bike which would help but just wondering if you can put some fabric on the seat to stop this happening etc

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.racksolutions.co.uk/anti-slip-mats.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI36v94vyK3wIV6JPtCh2dGwZcEAkYASABEgJTavD_BwE

I had a similar thing on the rear seat piece on my ER6f to stop my wife sliding forward under braking when two up.
I took the seat off, wrapped this stuff around and taped it together on the underside. From a distance you couldn't
really see it either. Definitely kept my nuts from a regular crushing. Trouble is when my wifes on the back is she's
looking at the scenery rather than the traffic, so is often not ready for braking. This problem seems to have fixed itself
with me getting a faster bike, she pays a lot more attention to the traffic and what I'm doing on the back of the Spacker. Twisted Evil
The seat isn't as big either so she's not quite as comfy as she was on the last bike.

Ash-69
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha love the advertising recommendation for sliding bush ......... Rolling Eyes

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the downside I've realised from my A* goretex troosers.

My old HG ones had a leather patch on the a$$ which did a great job of keeping you in place.

These A* ones don't have that "luxury". Perhaps A* like the idea of a rider who still wants to move around on the saddle while riding? That's my justification.

I don't though, I just want to get to work comfortably in the rain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

that anti-slip stuff looks pretty good tbh I'm assuming it doesn't stick down though, how do you stop it moving about or you have just pulled it very tight under the seat? can you cut it? I think a couple of strips of this on the seat would do the job.

tbh the A* trousers are pretty good but I don't understand why they don't have a more abrasive bit on the arse so you stick to the seat more, I notice all the textile trousers I looked at didn't have any different material on the arse.

it was OKish yesterdsy with just boxers on so might just get some 100% cotton long johns to wear, rather than base layers where I seem to slide in the trousers themselves too Laughing

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had anti slip stuff on the back of the er5 seat. I wrapped it over and stapled it under.

Lidl occasionally sells the anti slip stuff. Usually marketed for car boots or dashes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:59 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or put stomp grip on the sides of the tank.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leathers do not have this problem. Recommend Spada Nero as they are waterproof and warm enough for year round use, and unlike textiles they will protect you properly in a high speed slide.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
that anti-slip stuff looks pretty good tbh I'm assuming it doesn't stick down though, how do you stop it moving about or you have just pulled it very tight under the seat? can you cut it? I think a couple of strips of this on the seat would do the job.

I have a small piece on top on my instrument binnacle in the van, it's where I keep my sunglasses. They weigh less than
a mars bar but their own weight keeps them from falling off while driving around. So your own weight will keep it in position
when on the bike. But yeah, stretch it round tightish and secure underneath. Crappy cheap parcel tape was sufficient to
keep it from coming away on the underside of the seat on my ER6F but a staple or two wouldn't hurt either. It's easily cut into
shape with ordinary scissors.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:15 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
high speed slide.

On UK roads, if you get into a high speed slide, I'd say you weren't worthy of riding a bike as you must be a spacker. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

...another reason I don't wear textiles Smile

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

suppose you could always use something like surf board wax ..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/surf-wax/kw2ayxu9mz7b8ee

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:43 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Leathers do not have this problem. Recommend Spada Nero as they are waterproof and warm enough for year round use, and unlike textiles they will protect you properly in a high speed slide.

I used to slide all over my blade wearing leathers. Another vote for stomp grips or similar

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Or put stomp grip on the sides of the tank.

As a warning to bigdom86, if your jeans are comfort fit and not the yoof skinny jeans, then stomp grips wont make much difference.
They help, but the jeans stay in place and then you move about in the jeans.

Leathers tend to be a much tighter fit so the effect of grips is much more pronounced.

MattB suggested to me that I reverse my waterproof trousers and exploit the tacky/waxy side. It worked.
Not sure if it would quickly damage the waterproofs or not, but it certainly stopped me banging the tank every 2 seconds.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:45 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

'Proper' quality Textiles (Kevlar/Aramide) of decent thickness is comparible to leather.

It's a wee bit like comparing the qualitoes between fibreglass and steel.
Fibreglass 'can' be made to be as strong as steel but it depends on thickness and other construction detail.
Pound for Pound comparisons can be drawn.

Leather has a property of becoming liquid when heated (As a result of friction heat). This helps prevent perforation of the garment through to skin then bone.

(Skin and bone melt too.)
It also prevents the garment being ripped off the wearer as it slides rather than grips. Pulling a Zipped-Up jacket off at 30-60MPH might chaff 😀

Kevlar type material is very tough and when knitted/woven densely can prevent penetration by objects.

It also melts when heated.

I find that leather is more comfortable and maybe looks better than kevlar/aramide and that is my reason for leather.

Most important thing is to have bike gear that is protected at the areas that may come into contact with the road.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:24 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, if you're sliding about inside your bike trousers while riding, you're going to have a bad time if you crash. The armour will land up in all the wrong places causing stress risers on your bones and you'll get some epic friction burns from the synthetic lining. Believe me, these hurt.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In fairness, if you're sliding about inside your bike trousers while riding, you're going to have a bad time if you crash. The armour will land up in all the wrong places causing stress risers on your bones and you'll get some epic friction burns from the synthetic lining. Believe me, these hurt.

Would that be after you've mashed your nuts on the tank? Ouch!!

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me a motogp or similar race where anyone wears textile, even in appaling torrential rain, they will not, instead opting for the clear bin bag over leathers. Textiles are not allowed in any kind of racing? They do not make them to fit like leathers. The protection is not all over.

Well fitting leathers are known for the ability to hold a crushed limb together, which can prevent excessive blood loss and swelling, or large peices of broken limb being thrown into the hedge.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Show me a motogp or similar race where anyone wears textile, even in appaling torrential rain, they will not, instead opting for the clear bin bag over leathers. Textiles are not allowed in any kind of racing? They do not make them to fit like leathers. The protection is not all over.

Well fitting leathers are known for the ability to hold a crushed limb together, which can prevent excessive blood loss and swelling, or large peices of broken limb being thrown into the hedge.

You're comparing apples with pears though. it's abrupt deceleration (ie hitting something solid) that kills you, not the slide. Tracks have huge run-off areas, you can slide a very long way. As such a longer slide with a slower deceleration is probably the best way to crash. And while tyre barriers are not exactly pleasant to hit, they are more yeilding than a Skoda Yeti.

Out on the road, there is much more out there to hit. The textile fabric will bring you to a stop more rapidly, hopefully before you hit that wall/kerb/skoda.

To entirely flip your statement. You almost never see moto-x, rally or enduro riders in leather. It's always textiles plus armour.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1