Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YBR 125 Split Pin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: YBR 125 Split Pin Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy split pins for the brake torque arm bolt. What size does it need to be?

And how do you remove the existing one? It's very well bent around the nut, and I've never removed one before.

Thank you

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a traditional one, straighten it with pliers and yank.

I'd replace it with an "R" clip/pin. you can get packs of multiple sizes for a few quid. They come in useful. Given the location, I'd suggest stainless ones.

Last edited by ThatDippyTwat on 16:21 - 01 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a screwdriver to lift the split ends then long nose pliers to make them straight then pliers to pull the pin out.
The ends may break off but you can still measure the thickness and length.

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Does the R clip offer the same protection? I'm learning maintenance from a very early stage.

In terms of measuring, I see that they are often 1/2mm apart, is it to a degree a common sense thing, insofar as as long as it isn't clearly smaller, it should be okay?

Great call with the stainless steel 😀

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an R clip is good enough for the rear wheel of a ZZR1400 I'm pretty sure a little Yibber will be perfectly safe.

https://i.imgur.com/ROUsWAj.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, they're used on much more powerful bikes. My VFR has some dotted around. Had them on a YBR when I had one. Much easier than piossing around with split pins. Just get a multipack and find ont that fits nicely.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:58 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are too cheap to buy a pack of split pins or r clips, strip a bit of 240 volt wiring and cut off some of the earth wire.

Stick it through this one hole and then twist the two ends together.

You'd need to bw really cheap though... .

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: split pin Reply with quote

The fun really starts when the dam things are corroded in, and, when the remains of the pin is stuck in the hole.

Use some side cutters to "lever" out the pin, if its free in the hole.

The idea being, when the pin is free in the hole and the "legs" are straight ish, place the cutter blade across the "head" and squeeze enough to grip the head. Now using the ends of the cutter as a fulcrum against the nut usually, lever out the pin, usually in stages.

Remember to bin the pin immediately unless you want to find it in your rear tyre.

Motor factors, screw fix etc. but not halfrauds as they are toooooooooooooo expensive, will supply assorted boxes.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht396-151-piece-r-clip-assortment/

...or these... https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht311-cotter-pin-kit/

On my FZR-R I use 'R' clips together with a small zip tye

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20150730_153901_zpsq5fqw91b.jpg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I'd replace it with an "R" clip/pin. you can get packs of multiple sizes for a few quid. They come in useful. Given the location, I'd suggest stainless ones.

Hey,

I've looked online and can find nothing about the fitting or removal of these. I imagine they are simpler than split pins though.

Is it basically push the vertical limb through the hole and guide the curves around it?

In terms of removal, can you simply widen the curved limb to come off the way it came on?

Last edited by Huarachedevil on 10:42 - 06 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

That's a really clear picture, thank you. I think mine goes through the screw threads from memory, I'll have a look and take a pic if it's different to yours and see what you think.

Apologies to all if this seems beyond idiotic for such a lengthy thread. I want to learn and have absolutely no confidence in my judgment to do anything that isn't reinforced by knowledgeable minds on the Internet at the moment.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huarachedevil wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:

That's a really clear picture, thank you. I think mine goes through the screw threads from memory, I'll have a look and take a pic if it's different to yours and see what you think.

Apologies to all if this seems beyond idiotic for such a lengthy thread. I want to learn and have absolutely no confidence in my judgment to do anything that isn't reinforced by knowledgeable minds on the Internet at the moment.

If you want to start from the beginning I would suggest spending £9 on this publication https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Basics-Techbook-Haynes-Techbooks/dp/185960515X/ref=sr_1_113?ie=UTF8&qid=1544117887&sr=8-113&keywords=haynes+workshop+manual+motorcycles

Always have a 'Plan B'

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:51 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huarachedevil wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Hey,

I've looked online and can find nothing about the fitting or removal of these. I imagine they are simpler than split pins though.

Is it basically push the vertical limb through the hole and guide the curves around it?

In terms of removal, can you simply widen the curved limb to come off the way it came on?

You are incredibly thick....

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:12 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go woth Nobby on this one.

If looking at it and looking where it goes doesn't tell you all you need to know... You're a fuckwit. Put down the tools. Go see your mechanic. I normally champion home servicing, but not if you're mechanically inept, and you do sound it.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: pin Reply with quote

we all started somewhere, maybe he's a little paranoid or what ever, a manual would help him.

Huarachedevil
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words 😂

Split pin removed with the help of pliers, R clip fitted in its place. Magnificent. Just pulls off with the pliers too. Split pin got a bit messy and tricky to remove so will look to avoid them in future.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1