BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB125R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: CB125R Reply with quote

Had a shot of one of these today. A great wee bike that would suit the larger gentleman. I sat on the 300 version and the CB1000R and there's not much difference in size, except CB125 piston looks dinky and should be in a hamster cage.

It rode really well and was pretty speedy for a 125, I would recommend one to a new rider.

Honda cheque was sent by them yesterday.

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just getting back into biking after many years.
My son just turned 16 and has a Rieju MRT50 so I went out and bought a CB125R so we can go biking together.
Got it new for £3495 from Ecosse Dundee. Went in to look at 2nd hand bikes but this bike just stands out from the crowd. Had to get it.
It is a great starter bike. I have done less than 200 miles since I bought it so still running in the engine, but its now winter up here in Scotland (-8 in Aboyne a few days ago) so may be a while before I can put in many more miles.
Loving it so far, but if I have any complaints it would be seat is not very comfortable for longer journey.
I am only 5ft 9 and it is fine size for me.

Also bought a couple of Sena 10S Bluetooth headsets so we can chat as we ride. Brilliant buy. Excellent comms.
CB125R and Comms thoroughly recommended... by a noob.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
spoke about new to biking.

A refreshing change to hear a positive, especially about 125’s
Do well Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: just realised you were talking about the CB125R not the CBR125 Embarassed I think it's based on the CBR125 so my previous point was sort of on topic Shifty

Last edited by M.C on 23:40 - 09 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
I am just getting back into biking after many years.
My son just turned 16 and has a Rieju MRT50 so I went out and bought a CB125R so we can go biking together.
Got it new for £3495 from Ecosse Dundee. Went in to look at 2nd hand bikes but this bike just stands out from the crowd. Had to get it.
It is a great starter bike. I have done less than 200 miles since I bought it so still running in the engine, but its now winter up here in Scotland (-8 in Aboyne a few days ago) so may be a while before I can put in many more miles.
Loving it so far, but if I have any complaints it would be seat is not very comfortable for longer journey.
I am only 5ft 9 and it is fine size for me.

Also bought a couple of Sena 10S Bluetooth headsets so we can chat as we ride. Brilliant buy. Excellent comms.

Glad you're enjoying it mate. I lived in Banchory for many years so know what you mean. Just wrap up well and all's good Smile

I need to look at getting some bike to bike coms at some point soon.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's a good bike, it looks nice enough for a modern Jap 125 and there's not much more to say.

But at £3500 for a new 125. I really do shake my head at the perceived VFM. All I can think of is that in my generation a £3500 125 would have looked and sounded very different when I was 17 that's for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:10 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say it looks great. But for me the price is too high for a 125. £3.5k would go a long way towards a decent 500cc (and full license).

One reason I went for an 18month old CB125F (2k on the clock) for £1700. I assume it is as fast and agile as the CBR. Without the fancy dash. The other reason was that I am only commuting to the train station, a couple of miles each way. And it is hopefully only a stop gap for practicing towards full license.

Anyway enjoy, I have been enjoying mine Very Happy

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value for money?
That depends on what you are looking to get from the bike you purchase.
There are a whole bunch of top end 125s all around the £4000 mark.
Honda CB125R - £3995 (thats the Honda recommended price), KTM Duke 125 - £4100, Suzuki GSX-S125 - £3700, Yamaha YZF-R125 - a whopping £4400. Lets face it, the 125 market is an intro to biking for 17yo and these are going to get the juices running.
Then you have budget bikes like the Honda CB125F - £2500, Yamaha YS125 - £2800.
Next are the SuperBudget Chinese bikes usually well under £2000.
Of course there are scooters, but less said about them the better... only joking, but not my cuppa.

So what do you get for your money.
Well look at the CB125R. The only difference to any high spec motorbike is the engine size. It is almost identical to the CB300R. It looks great, it handles brilliantly, it has safety features like ABS and it is built to last.
The budget bikes are more basic. Stuff like less powerful engines, rear drum brakes.
The cheaper Chinese bikes tend not to be such good quality - you get what you pay for.

From my point of view the choice was simple. I wanted a motorbike that I can pass on to my son when he turns 17 next year. It needs to be reliable, safe and look good. The CB125R fits the bill perfectly. I was going to look at a second hand CB125R in Aberdeen, but Ecosse offered me the new bike for same price (£3495), sold.
If I was only looking for a commuter bike then I think the CB125F or YS125 would be a perfect choice.
If money was the deciding factor then I would have gone for a decent 2nd hand bike. Older Chinese bikes seem to be not so reliable.

At the end of the day it is all about how valuable the bike is to the individual. I have a very reliable 125 which will not depreciate too badly. The commuter bikes are probably better VFM to a commuter but they are not what I wanted. And the Chinese bikes, well they can have reliability issues and are going to depreciate quite a lot unless you keep it locked in a garage for all its life.

I really don't think £3500 is that expensive for a motorbike, even if it is a 125.
Honda CB125R - £3495 - VFM? For me, absolutely.

AND.. shop around. Don't pay the asking price.

Curious about the bikes from your generation that looked and sounded so different. Would I be correct in assuming it was an un-restricted time with screaming 2-stroke twins? Back in the day I opted for a screaming 2-stroke triple (KH250). Ah those were the days.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine a lot of are being financed, even if a relative's doing the actual financing, so the purchase price isn't a major consideration (just the repayments).

I do remember looking at a 4k 250 when I was taking my test, I tried to get the local Honda dealer to match another dealer at £3600 but he lost interest when he realised I'd be paying cash. Even that was expensive so these 'premium' 125's do seem a little insane.

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not insane at all.
There are very little differences between the premium 125s and their bigger brothers.
For instance the manufacturers price for a CB125R is £3995. For a CB300R it is £4495.
The only real difference between them is the size of engine. Why should there be a huge price difference?
But you can't compare apples with oranges. Sure you can buy a 250 for same price, but there are plenty 600cc bikes that are more expensive than 750cc bikes, etc. It's all about what market they are aimed at.
For sure these premium 125s are aimed at a specific market. Thats why there are cheaper bikes available.
The great thing is there will always be a market for 2nd hand premium 125s, which helps justify paying that bit extra.

Jeez, I could have a calling as a bike salesman... or maybe I've been conned by the bike salesman. Very Happy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post with your counter reasoning argument, and yeah for some people and some situations and their needs a current premium £4k 125 is the right bike to get, and is VFM to them too.

My current 125 was about £1200 when they were new and first introduced.

Oh and my generation, well we had whatever we could get hold of at the time or afford. But the Aprilia Extrema, Pegaso Rally, Gilera SP01 and the Cagiva Mito Evo would have been our objects of last and our unattainable pinnacle 125's for most. And yeah your right, if your clothes and jacket didn't stink of burnt Silkolene then you were a faggot, or an old bloke commuting on a CD185 or C90 with your sarnies in the top box.

We wouldn't have any of that business, you were either a wannabe Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, or a Jeremy McGrath etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
It's not insane at all.
There are very little differences between the premium 125s and their bigger brothers.
For instance the manufacturers price for a CB125R is £3995. For a CB300R it is £4495.
The only real difference between them is the size of engine. Why should there be a huge price difference?
But you can't compare apples with oranges. Sure you can buy a 250 for same price, but there are plenty 600cc bikes that are more expensive than 750cc bikes, etc. It's all about what market they are aimed at.
For sure these premium 125s are aimed at a specific market. Thats why there are cheaper bikes available.
The great thing is there will always be a market for 2nd hand premium 125s, which helps justify paying that bit extra.

Jeez, I could have a calling as a bike salesman... or maybe I've been conned by the bike salesman. Very Happy

That's kinda why I mentioned the 250, it wasn't that long ago we were scratching our heads wondering why they cost so much more than the 125 variants, now the 125's have crept closer in price when it should really have been the other way round.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:58 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:
It's not insane at all.

Erm, it is.

I'm seeing more and more 3.5/4k bikes on bike sites, up for less than half what they paid with sub 5k on the clocks.

125s fall to a price and tend to stay there.

There is absolutely nothing that would get me to buy a premium 125 for myself or any offspring I dare have. It's a tool to learn with, it's gonna be abused, ragged to death and dropped. Nothing wrong with a £1200 used 125, I'd take that over a new one with a premium any day.

They are nothing like the bigger bikes. Not even in their shadow...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:35 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a new 125 is something you'll regret at a later date. Laughing

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Somebody has to buy them new. 😁

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
Ste wrote:

Somebody has to buy them new. 😁

Not really, make a point that the costs are too high and buy some used ones. They'll either cease manufacture or lower the price.

You don't 'have' to buy new stuff.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can see the point why £4k+ 125's are really overpriced from the manufacturers and it's because of either profit, supply and demand, or just greed?

Saying all that there's a couple of £6000 125's (new) that I wouldn't mind owning and would enjoy riding them.

But the fact remains that your CBR125's etc are overpriced for what your getting for the cash. Sure today we have digital dash's, ABS and EFI, but none of that needs to be £4k expensive.

If you look at a Chinese CBR125 replica, they have the same style, the perceived trick bits like USD forks, radial mounted brake calipers, wavey discs and digital dashboards. The only thing the Chinese can't seem to offer is 15bhp engines as they are always down on the power of the Jap bikes.

But I bet alot of electronic and hardware bits on CBR's and YZFR's etc are coming from China, even if the bikes aren't built there (some are though). You shouldn't have to pay a £1500-2000 premium just for a brand name anyway.

I think I'd see the value in a £4000+ 125 if it had Ohlins fully adjustable forks and shock, Brembo monoblock brakes, multiple ECU maps, titanium full exhausts and forged race wheels etc. None of them do however.

Oh and let's be honest, it's not just Japanese 125's that are a piss take in cost either. When a Fireblade and R1 is £18-19k then in my book that's another not worth it piss take for what you actually get for the money.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:50 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
When a Fireblade and R1 is £18-19k then in my book that's another not worth it piss take for what you actually get for the money.

Agreed, I definitely remember seeing a new Busa up for 13k OTR when I started biking. 750/1000 were edging 10-12k and they seemed great for the money.

New GSXR1000 is £13,700 which without any special add ons... is ugh. Even the Duc 1299, which I would find more desirable is topping 17k in its absolute cheapest trim.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I've been shouted at many times before by the BCF'ers that do economics, and apparently it's nearly all down to exchange rates between the pound and Yen, along with inflation as the other fundamental reason.

Slightly less so but still relevant is the market shrinkage for sports bikes, so supply and demand rules come into it, along with more expensive raw materials like Aluminium, steels etc due to the Chinese industry explosion. However that must be in part balanced out by todays cheaper electronics and ECU's, and I'm convinced that it's cheaper to make EFI throttle bodies than a bank of trick flat slide carbs.

The real problem that people don't bang on about though, is that when new Fireblades, R1's etc were in the £9-11k range we had a good economic period and more disposable income. The bikes didn't seem too expensive back then for most of us, and then there was the parallel import boom for those that were almost able to afford a new bike, and this made the difference between the attainable and unattainable for lots of people.

The fact is wages haven't come anywhere near in keeping up with inflation for 10years, and peoples earning potential had been capped by the big financial crash 9years ago, and they've never got back on top since or been able to justify extravagant or frivolous purchases to the degree that they did 15years ago.

flamewraith
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:04 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just bought my cbr125 two weeks ago, i'd agree its a lovley little bike. have rode a yam sr125 for a year and a bit, defo an improvment

once i pass the mod 2 i can honestly say i will be happy riding this for a few years its nippy enough for the odd bout i do on fast rodes and great for round and about the local area/ too and from work Smile

its a 2016 model and i was surprised when it was side by side with the cbr600 in the shop , size wise you would'nt think it was a 125. (unless you look at the "engine" lol)

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamewraith wrote:
i just bought my cbr125

That's a different bike. Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
flamewraith wrote:
i just bought my cbr125

That's a different bike. Rolling Eyes

Shhh! I made the same mistake Smile Sort of related as they're based on the CBR125, which AFAIK was based on the 250 which the 300's also based on (tying into the convo above about prices).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:52 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamewraith wrote:
i can honestly say i will be happy riding this for a few years its nippy enough for the odd bout i do on fast rodes and great for round and about the local area/ too and from work Smile

Lots of people say that but once they've got a bit of experience they realise that things would be a lot easier on a bigger bike.

So they end up selling their shiny expensive 125 for quite a bit less than they paid for it.

Been there. Done that. It's a waste of money. Laughing

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, my mate pays £89 a month for a shiny and generally issue free decent Honda CBR125R

If you look at things on a monthly cost then you can plan for it.

Or oh shit my engine/gearbox went but I only paid £1200 for my 125.

Last edited by struan80 on 23:32 - 02 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Bah, my mate pays £80 a month for a shiny and generally issue free decent Honda CBR125R

If you look at things on a monthly cost then you can plan for it.

Or oh shit my engine/gearbox went but I only paid £1200 for my 125.

Well a pal had his CBF he'd owned from new go bang shortly after his final payment Smile He'd done 30k on it but still he was slightly miffed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2