BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fun bikes for < 2k

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:37 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can stretch your budget a bit and if fun really is what you want then a KTM690 Duke will be hard to beat. I have way more fun on the Duke than I ever did on my Fireblade. I know guys with the supermoto models with the older LC4 engines and they love them. Might get a half decent one for your budget.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise they don't get a lot of love on here cos they're only ~50bhp (Rolling Eyes) but one thing comes to mind when I think of fun: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-MT-03-660/163396007267?hash=item260b293563:g:HlwAAOSwHwNblXeg:rk:1:pf:0 (although I'd pay £1800 tops).

I've yet to ride anything with the telepathic handling this thing had, and yes I include the Street Triple in that.

I do kinda miss it Crying or Very sad Not at all practical, annoying most of the time but it just has that special something.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
If you can stretch your budget a bit and if fun really is what you want then a KTM690 Duke will be hard to beat. I have way more fun on the Duke than I ever did on my Fireblade. I know guys with the supermoto models with the older LC4 engines and they love them. Might get a half decent one for your budget.

Unlikely to find close to budget I reckon. I tried to find a cheap one last year and gave up, few for much under 3.5k

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Enduro Numpty wrote:

Unlikely to find close to budget I reckon. I tried to find a cheap one last year and gave up, few for much under 3.5k

Yep, I've been after one for forever and only the 690 Supermoto (with the plague doctor looks) seems to regularly drop below 3k. Hence why I mentioned the MT-03, it has supermoto qualities (ok it's a fair bit heavier) without the price tag. Even the XT660X sells for a lot more.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in nice area where you can ride offroad bike then get that.

I wanted to get an offroad bike for myself and my son, but sadly have nowhere to ride offroad in my area... there are these everywhere...

https://i.imgur.com/BmJbS9m.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT03 you say?
The only thing is I'd want to be damn sure of being able to out accelerate a DT125 from the lights before I'd hand over £1800 for one. Wink

Musketeer, is that the picture pretty much all over Northamptonshire, and where do the people with off road bikes go?

Its something I've thought alot about when it comes to re-building my other KMX for off road use. I'd want a day time MOT on it for getting to places to ride, but here in Worcestershire green lanes arnt everywhere like a rash, and you could do 50-100 road miles to find 2-3miles of sections of green lane. That's why I'm not feeling it much for green lining and am reluctant to join the TRF.

As I see it you need a van and have to accept that all you can legally do riding wise is MX practice tracks, Pay and play sites (very few and far between) or full on trials or Enduro events.

Im not enough of a wanker to ride in parks, public footpaths, bridal ways, anywhere there's horses, dogs or hikers etc.

But theres loads of bits of unmanaged private woodland out there, and alot of derelict ex industrial sites, or abandoned brownfield sites that no one's doing anything with?

Surely if riding a not too noisy bike away from residential areas and in places that tell the public to keep out like these old redundant sites and all at your own risk, well what's the harm done or the evil to society?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
MT03 you say?
The only thing is I'd want to be damn sure of being able to out accelerate a DT125 from the lights before I'd hand over £1800 for one. Wink

If you mean the one that turned out to be a XT600 with a #baklaf 125 plate on then yeah, I got outdragged by a bike with the same power that was nearly 40kg lighter Wink

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a 600 mile 3 year old 450 here that's under your budget.

Wk450rx (crf450x) with a full Yoshi system, brand new not fitted acerbis big tank etc.

It's great fun and pretty pokey I just dont use it.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.ibb.co/Trj4XQQ/Screenshot-20181209-153408.png

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:05 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread is pretty pointless unless the OP defines what 'fun' is really.

My VFR is a surprising amount of fun considering it's a heavy old bus bought exclusively to ferry me between Basingstoke and London.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:38 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned am MT-03 660. Biggest waste of money for me.
Unreliable electrics, cut out issue at 40mph, topped out at 99mph

I've got a budget of under £2k for my next one. Looking like I'm going to end up with a decent nick 2000 GSXR600 SRAD.
Lots of awesome supersports around the year 2000 for that budget!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLB_Rich wrote:
I've owned am MT-03 660. Biggest waste of money for me.

BLB_Rich wrote:
Unreliable electrics

Duh designed and built in Italy.

BLB_Rich wrote:
cut out issue at 40mph

At all speeds Folded arms Mine cut out occasionally when pulling away or if I blipped the throttle, others on the owners forum had the same issue. I've heard similar reports of the KTM 690 doing the same thing (no idea if it's true).

BLB_Rich wrote:
topped out at 99mph

Well yeah its got 5 gears.

Experiences vary, I never had a single (mechanical) issue in 3 years, except for the cutting out issue which only started after the bike was laid up for a while.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:39 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the OP ever get back on this ... ???

I'm assuming he bought an early Mille with a strong sprag clutch, which is what I would have done in his position ....

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:55 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLB_Rich wrote:

I've got a budget of under £2k for my next one. Looking like I'm going to end up with a decent nick 2000 GSXR600 SRAD.
Lots of awesome supersports around the year 2000 for that budget!

Wow - bikes are expensive! Had a look and thinking you could get newer for that, but seems not if you want 'decent nick'.
Trackbike prices seem to have been descending reasonably for a 200hp machine and plenty of SRADs at under £1k this time of year.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:

How much was he?!

I want a dirt bike soooo bad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
BLB_Rich wrote:
topped out at 99mph

Well yeah its got 5 gears.

Also one other thing, you obviously never maxed yours as on paper they were 99mph, in reality they did 110mph (confirmed by multiple owners). I believe the 690 Duke does 120mph with 20 more bhp.

Ok I'm done now Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2