Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Upgrading Windows help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnp72 wrote:

I don't know why I bother sometimes, when people just nit pick over wording.
I know 32-bit can only address 3.6GB, not all older machines are 32 bit though. Just to make you happy, maybe I should have written it as

"many older machines will only be 32bit hardware, so will be limited to seeing 3.6GB RAM. Some are 64 bit though."

Anything else you want to pick a pointless argument over?
What about Cucklio and his "if you upgrade from a 32 bit copy of XP to Windows 10 it will put 32 bit Windows 10 on".
Are you going to nit pick and tell him that you can't do an in place upgrade from XP to 10? No? Rolling Eyes

Why bother, the point I was making remains the same. It's not going to affect the advice given to the OP is it? Get over yourself.

And yet I was apparently on enemy when I wrote that.

Peeping again I see.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:19 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how this conversation has gone, I'll just leave this here, it seems apt.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1BKPSGcxQ&edufilter=NULL

Also, I've found that since I've upgraded the RAM in the old Macbook (Intel Core 2 Duo), it is a lot quicker, but I am still limited to the software that I can install, due to the OS being stopped - On older hardware, you can't automatically get the newest version of MacOS.

After xmas, I will be in the market for a couple of SSDs - one 128GB one for the mac, and a bigger one for my laptop. If I get chance this weekend, I am gonna put that one back to Win7.

I've just bought the mrs a cheap laptop for Uni. Win 10, touchscreen. 32Gb eMMC HD, 4GB RAM, with a cheap Celeron processor. I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole, but it isn't for me, and she wanted it - £130.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Also, I've found that since I've upgraded the RAM in the old Macbook (Intel Core 2 Duo), it is a lot quicker, but I am still limited to the software that I can install, due to the OS being stopped - On older hardware, you can't automatically get the newest version of MacOS.

Honestly that's one of the major drawbacks of OS X/macOS. With PCs you can install whatever you can find drivers for, even macOS Cool They also don't tend to completely drop software support, you have compatibility mode etc..

CBFcarl wrote:
After xmas, I will be in the market for a couple of SSDs - one 128GB one for the mac, and a bigger one for my laptop.

I'm still waiting on my uber cheap Integral drive to arrive (£13 Very Happy). I have the previous version which was £25, cheap at the time but now you could probably get a 240GB for that.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
[Are you on about Ram ?

Hi,
yes, i know there are different types/sizes and how easy it is to physically change them, but thats my limit so far.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
sorry for causing any arguments, but im pretty sure i said in my op i would like to upgrade from XP to windows 7 (i liked 7) NOT 10 (i just cant get on with 10) prefereably.

does this make it easier & less likely to cause any more arguments. no?

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the make and model of the laptop.

If you tell us we can look up the specs and better advise you.

Its usual a fairly straight forward process to change the ram. But without out knowing the make and model is difficult to advise you any further.

Some laptops have the space for more ram, some came already installed with the maximum they can support.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
stirlinggaz wrote:
Hi,
sorry for causing any arguments, but im pretty sure i said in my op i would like to upgrade from XP to windows 7 (i liked 7) NOT 10 (i just cant get on with 10) prefereably.

cheers,
GAZ

You'll still face the same barriers. Your laptop may have a 32 bit cpu, Win 7 drivers may not be available for it too.

We can carry on speculating, but as asked, if you can provide the full make, model name and number if there is one, we can check out if Win 7 is likely to work on it, whether it's worth it due to RAM restrictions and whether you'll need to get hold of a 32 bit version.

I upgraded an old Acer XP laptop to Win 7. All looked OK, until it turned out there were never any Win7 drivers for the USB controller.

This is why I sent him to the Support pages, to see what was available for it,
The guy who has the Mac, 120GB SSD`s were £12 delivered this week, Hot Deals UK . . . .

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

No this is BCF Smile

As everyone else's saying we need the make/model. I've upgraded a few laptops to Win' 7 from XP, the one that couldn't was from 2003 or something.

From memory laptops sold with Vista offered an XP downgrade cos no one wanted Vista Laughing A relative had a Compaq from 2008 that still had XP (that upgraded to Win' 7 fine), as did a netbook I upgraded which I think was still being sold in 2011 with XP Confused

P.S. give us the model number Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
The guy who has the Mac, 120GB SSD`s were £12 delivered this week, Hot Deals UK . . . .

Back at around a similar price; £14 according to the comments if you do quidco or something: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-ssd-drive-560mbs-1699-mymemory-3129777 (or just pay the extra £3 Wink).

That's the 1st gen' drive which I have.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:42 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
& there was me thinking I could get a cheap CD, stick it in & it would do all the work Rolling Eyes

Anyway it's an antique Dell latitude D505
Windows xp pro but only 32 bit sp3
That enough info?
Scrap?

cheers,
GAZ

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother to behonest

Looking at the specs listed here - https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-d505/specs/

If those specs are accurate, Even if you could get drivers for it, it would run like a dog.

You could stick linux mint on it if you feeling adventurous. But otherwise I'd bin it. You can get a new laptop for around £300 these days

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, if it runs alright I'd use it but I wouldn't do any internet banking on it Smile Chrome dropped support for XP a while ago as did Firefox earlier this year iirc.

There's a workaround for POSReady updates, but when I tried it on a (similarly) old laptop* they just slowed everything down, I think it's getting dropped next May anyway.

*similar spec to yours actually but the previous owner had upgraded it to 1.5GB RAM... and it still ran like shit Smile It didn't have a dedicated graphics processor though.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You guys maybe think I'm expecting too much.
It's a free laptop. It works , been using it on chrome.
HOWEVER, i dont intend to play games, download music or anything technical.

I simply wanted it to use as a basic word processor with access to Google.
Everything else i can do on this fancy fone or my "good" laptop.
I certainly don't intend to spend 300 quid for something I don't need.
Just seen 2 new compatible 1gb Samsung memory boards for a tenner.
Can I not just stick them in.
Find a CD with Windows 7 for a fiver at market,
Then sorted, no?
Or am i looking at this wrong way?

cheers,
GAZ

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
Hi,
You guys maybe think I'm expecting too much.
It's a free laptop. It works , been using it on chrome.
HOWEVER, i dont intend to play games, download music or anything technical.

I simply wanted it to use as a basic word processor with access to Google.
Everything else i can do on this fancy fone or my "good" laptop.
I certainly don't intend to spend 300 quid for something I don't need.
Just seen 2 new compatible 1gb Samsung memory boards for a tenner.
Can I not just stick them in.
Find a CD with Windows 7 for a fiver at market,
Then sorted, no?
Or am i looking at this wrong way?

cheers,
GAZ

For that money I'd just buy them and try them. If nothing else you'll learn a bit more about computers.

I took an old laptop apart once, found a fuse that had gone and fixed it. Thumbs Up

I plugged it in, hit the on button and......................

made magic smoke. Stank the house out but it was a bit of fun.

Edited to add, the fix was a bit of tin foil. Whistle

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies.
1 last stupid question.
Market cancelled due to snow (literally a sprinkling of heavy frost Rolling Eyes )

In theory, if one wanted, where would one get a dodgy copy of Windows 7 (32) on cd/DVD that doesnt need product keys or anything?

PM me? Wink

cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google suggests it will run Windows 7 but the graphics driver is an issue, you'll need to find the Vista driver.

As for Windows 7, Microsoft now only let you download the image if you have a key, but I can upload a 32bit professional* image for you. If the laptop can boot from a USB stick (some older ones can't) you can create a setup USB, if not you'll have to burn the image to disc... failing that I can pop one in the post for you Smile Activating it is a few clicks with a special program, if we get that far I'll PM you with it Wink

*apparently (google again suggests) you can't run the aero theme on that laptop

Also just a note, I'm fairly sure you can't upgrade XP to Windows 7 so you'd have to backup what you want to keep and do a clean install. There's also a SP2 update for Win' 7 which although Microsoft doesn't call it that, it does save you from installing a million individual updates, after which it's only half a million updates Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further thought, have you tried watching any YouTube videos on it yet? If it's struggling then I wouldn't bother upgrading it, normally if you have dedicated graphics you'll be alright but that CNET link duhawkz posted reckons it's only 32MB, I reckon that will struggle.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:13 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Also just a note, I'm fairly sure you can't upgrade XP to Windows 7 so you'd have to backup what you want to keep and do a clean install. There's also a SP2 update for Win' 7 which although Microsoft doesn't call it that, it does save you from installing a million individual updates, after which it's only half a million updates Smile

Hi,
There's nothing on this laptop, so plan was to rip out xp & install 7.
I had seen Google suggests it would run win 7.
Hadn't thought of or got as far as graphics driver....

Worth trying a CD?
Scrap otherwise anyway, right?

PS : Reply like you are talking to child, or better still, an alien who has no knowledge of computers, then I MIGHT stand a chance Smile

Cheers,
GAZ

Last edited by stirlinggaz on 06:08 - 17 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:18 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
One further thought, have you tried watching any YouTube videos on it yet? If it's struggling then I wouldn't bother upgrading it, normally if you have dedicated graphics you'll be alright but that CNET link duhawkz posted reckons it's only 32MB, I reckon that will struggle.

Hi,
Currently watching a couple of youtube videos on it, seems fine to me.

Cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much RAM does your laptop actually have installed? Go to Computer > right click on a blank part of the window > select properties (hopefully I remembered that correctly Smile).

You'll see this:
https://www.askdavetaylor.com/0-blog-pics/windows-xp-control-panels-system-general.png

If it has 1GB (minimum for Win' 7) I'd have a go installing Win' 7, then if you get everything working upgrade the RAM. Also I might just be complicating matters here Smile but I have a few* spare hard drives (is yours 40GB?), you could install Win' 7 on one of them, and if it doesn't work stick the old XP hard drive back in.

*SATA and IDE I'll have to check what yours is

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Firewire cards/video cameras Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
How much RAM does your laptop actually have installed? Go to Computer > right click on a blank part of the window > select properties (hopefully I remembered that correctly Smile).

You'll see this:
https://www.askdavetaylor.com/0-blog-pics/windows-xp-control-panels-system-general.png

If it has 1GB (minimum for Win' 7) I'd have a go installing Win' 7, then if you get everything working upgrade the RAM. Also I might just be complicating matters here Smile but I have a few* spare hard drives (is yours 40GB?), you could install Win' 7 on one of them, and if it doesn't work stick the old XP hard drive back in.

*SATA and IDE I'll have to check what yours is

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I was looking at it the other way.
Fit 2 x 1gb samsung memory boards, tenner brand new (1st 1 I seen on ebay) compatible with this laptop, THEN do the Windows 7 bit.
No?
EDIT its got 2 memory board slots but only 512mb currently.
Another stupid question but what the hell are "firewire notebook adaptor " & "firewire cards" used for nowadays? Or ever?
I'm guessing the po used them for the extra usb's & plugging in his video cameras (which I also got Very Happy ) as they came with weird looking cables that run direct from cameras to firewire card.

Cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an obsolete interface. If you get as far as upgrading the RAM I'll happily send you a Win' 7 installation DVD, and/or a blank hard drive in case it doesn't work and you want to put the XP drive back in, and I'll link the other stuff you need to unlock and update Windows etc..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3