Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone used a Petrol Auger / Post hole digger ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:35 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Anyone used a Petrol Auger / Post hole digger ? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience of these from a DIY point of view ?

I'm thinking about putting some concrete footings down for a new bit of decking.

It'll be built across a slight slope, within spitting distance of a row of old Leylandii which I will be removing, but doubt I'll get all the roots out.

This is why I think petrol is the only option.

Any thoughts ?, thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hire them out.

They work well in clean soil but they moment they hit rocks/stones they struggle.
Anything above an 8" bit you would be better of with a hydraulic one.

Also cheap ones don't have a clutch and are great at snapping wrists when they snag.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes have a cheap one. Massive holes in a couple of seconds, saved a lot of time. My garden is hard clay with lots of bricks and shit buried and plenty of roots. It'll eat through roots no problem. Ive drilled holes next to a massive pine tree and a 2" thick root.

It is difficult to identify which spares will fit as there are many variations of cylinders and pistons on ebay.. but replacement engines are cheap enough. Mine still runs fine after a seized piston.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:27 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more work but a post hole spade is fun.
And cheap as chips.
Or
£50 A day for a machine is affordable but have all you shit together so it doesn't go to a second day.

Or buy a new one for £100 + odds

https://g.co/kgs/9r2sdg

Probably shite but it will poke a few holes in your garden before it shites-it's-sel'.

They are a great day out as well. 😝

https://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/one-man-petrol-auger-vs-manual-post-hole-digger.323/

Last time I used one was for a fence in a field to keep horses. It pished through the soil but big pebbles have to be broken using a pointed steel pole and picked out.
Boulder Clay is a perfict bastirt.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't cope well with roots or stones/rubble.
A spit spade make it much easier than a regular spade.

https://www.pmdtimber.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x650/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/p/spit.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
We hire them out.

They work well in clean soil but they moment they hit rocks/stones they struggle.
Anything above an 8" bit you would be better of with a hydraulic one.

Also cheap ones don't have a clutch and are great at snapping wrists when they snag.

Can confirm. Hired one over the course of 2 weekends to get holes for some hoofin concrete posts. "One Man Auger" they are not. Essentially, the process was this:

Start engine. Restart engine and take note of the throttle you have to squeeze at hard as you can. Lift to operating location. Restart engine. Repair pull cord for starter. Learn new swearings. Drink tea. Restart engine. Apply full throttle. Create small hole. Rotate about 180 degrees, let go of throttle. Remove now-idling auger from on top on you. Check wrists. Take ibuprofen. Manually scoop dirt from the bottom of the four inches you've excavated.

Repeat.

Seriously, even though I got a proper deal hiring it (practically a bag of doughnuts) I would pay someone else to do the job every time. It's an absolute shite of a job, and made much, much worse when you encounter roots, buried rebar or even just heavy clay.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many holes do you need to dig?

Remember that the closer to a house you are, the more chance of hitting rubble from the buildings construction.
Those particular tree roots grow mostly sideways. The majority of roots from one tree are fine but you will have one thick root and a few not so thick - hitty missy if you land on one!

I used to dig holes using a spit. I had the blade as sharp as could be - no softening through using a grinder to sharpen it. I'd sit and file it to keep that sharp edge. If you have a sharp spit it will slice through almost anything.
As a general hint when using any spade (not shovel) keep them razor sharp. That will ensure that effort put into digging is minimised.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have the above problems. If you are local I will do the holes for you for beers.

However I did have a shit time removing metal fence post spikes. I bent several lengths of 40mm square x 3mm wall steel tube trying to pull them out. A razor sharp pickaxe is a very useful tool and far more effective than a spade. We dug around them and cut through below the surface, leaving the rest to rot.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone used a Petrol Auger / Post hole digger ? Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I'm thinking about putting some concrete footings down for a new bit of decking.

It'll be built across a slight slope, within spitting distance of a row of old Leylandii which I will be removing, but doubt I'll get all the roots out.

What're you going to put on the deck, a gyratory crusher or the pier of a large bridge? You see my point? It's a bit o' decking, not to mount a dock bollard on.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:59 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slope it's being built on backs onto a very small stream at the bottom of the garden, probably 50 - 60 feet at least away from the house.

The ground is soft, so I thought digging concrete footings would protect it from rot and movement. I'm assuming the width of the decking will be at least 25 - 30 feet across by 12 deep.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the deck is "raised" by 300mm or more you ought to have planning permission.... Smile 12' deep is rather a lot....

If you want to resting the deck on something, why not just dig a trench, concrete, & go on that?

Got a photo? Snap snap, nudge nudge, wink wink?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1