Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Keeway RK 125 Running Issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJMadness29
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:15 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Keeway RK 125 Running Issues Reply with quote

Good Evening All.

I've got a 2016 Keeway RK125 as my first bike and I'm basically using it to try and learn how motorbikes work, and to commute 10ish miles each way to work. I'm a car mechanic by trade so can work most bits out but having issues that are outside my knowledge.

Now I know the Chinese bikes are not very good but it cost me 450 quid so using it as a starter bike. I also know that they are not particularly fast, being that I am an 18 stone, 6"1 lad, but I think this is slow.

When riding in any gear the bike stutters and hesitates. It doesn't smoothly rev through the range. The quickest I've been on it is 41mph (using a speedo app as the speedo is about 10mph out) on a flat straight road with the wind behind me and it was struggling. Going into the wind on the way back was about 28mph. It also has a lot of vibration through the bike, especially through the right foot peg.

The problem is I didn't get any manual with the bike, nor can I find much information online about it so unsure about servicing. I've carried out an oil change and replaced the spark plug. Any advice on what could cause it? I think I'm going to end up taking it to a garage to be looked over but thought I'd ask on here first. I know I've probably not given the best description of the fault but I'll do my best to answer any questions on it.

Cheers

Dan

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Keeway RK 125 Running Issues Reply with quote

DJMadness29 wrote:
Good Evening All.

I've got a 2016 Keeway RK125 as my first bike and I'm basically using it to try and learn how motorbikes work, and to commute 10ish miles each way to work. I'm a car mechanic by trade so can work most bits out but having issues that are outside my knowledge.

Now I know the Chinese bikes are not very good but it cost me 450 quid so using it as a starter bike. I also know that they are not particularly fast, being that I am an 18 stone, 6"1 lad, but I think this is slow.

When riding in any gear the bike stutters and hesitates. It doesn't smoothly rev through the range. The quickest I've been on it is 41mph (using a speedo app as the speedo is about 10mph out) on a flat straight road with the wind behind me and it was struggling. Going into the wind on the way back was about 28mph. It also has a lot of vibration through the bike, especially through the right foot peg.

The problem is I didn't get any manual with the bike, nor can I find much information online about it so unsure about servicing. I've carried out an oil change and replaced the spark plug. Any advice on what could cause it? I think I'm going to end up taking it to a garage to be looked over but thought I'd ask on here first. I know I've probably not given the best description of the fault but I'll do my best to answer any questions on it.

Cheers

Dan

It doesn't sound desperate, Dan. Should do 60-ish I guess. Look to the air intake and carburettor first, take that apart and blow it through with air, don't poke wires through jets and so on (a nylon bristle should be OK). I wouldn't say that Chinese bikes are that bad but look after the necessities. Change the oil often and regularly as you seem to be doing, use something decent. You should be able to find a manual online.

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an Instruction/Maintenance manual here
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/922664/Keeway-Rkv125.html
Good Luck

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a little fellow like you i would try a denser air filter to give it more fuel for now.

DJMadness29
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:49 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had the carb off (confusion with the choke) and been cleaned. Have checked the air filter and has oil on it but think this is normal? (Like the old pipercross filters).

Thanks for the Manual but that is for the RKV and I've got the RK. Guessing the engine is similar but mines got drum rears not hydraulic.

The other thing to go along with it is that the bike cuts out when I come off the throttle. I have adjusted the idle to about 1200rpm but it drops when I come to a standstill and dies. Queue me trying to get it into neutral with a slightly iffy gearbox... Confused

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mileage?
2016 bike so any service history?
same engine as Lexmoto Arrow if you arsk me
CG clone so modest performance but it should run smoothly
enough if serviced properly and Po hasn't ruined it

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJMadness29 wrote:
We've had the carb off (confusion with the choke) and been cleaned. Have checked the air filter and has oil on it but think this is normal? (Like the old pipercross filters).

Thanks for the Manual but that is for the RKV and I've got the RK. Guessing the engine is similar but mines got drum rears not hydraulic.

The other thing to go along with it is that the bike cuts out when I come off the throttle. I have adjusted the idle to about 1200rpm but it drops when I come to a standstill and dies. Queue me trying to get it into neutral with a slightly iffy gearbox... Confused

Does it *ever* run cleanly? Does it get very hot? Can you strap a recording device to it & post a bit of video, or of it misbehaving when stationary? Any video at all might be interesting.... it still sounds carbish.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it dies/cuts out, how does it do it? Does it die suddenly as if switched off or does it gradually die over a few seconds - as if the engine becomes 'gassy' and unresponsive until it dies??

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

Use your knowledge and experience and apply it to the bike.

If it was a car, what question would you ask the car driver ?

Fuel problems can sometimes seem like an ign problem from time to time, and visa versa.

So rule one system out. Some of you know whats coming next but not everyone knows about these, but the OP will know what a "node" is.

Get some red neon plug caps, make an adapator ( is used the internals from an old spark plug, made and welded to that a suitable "nipple ,socket" ( sounds real kinky but you will suss what I mean when you have a neon in your had ) so the red neon plug caps fits in line between your bikes plug ( with screw on nipple fitted ) and the oe plug cap.

The neon will flash ( just like a node when used ) when ht passes thru the neon plug cap. If the flashes dissappear when the problem is happening, then summut is wrong with the ign yes!

If the bike is ridden at nigh on a safe road, preferably going up hill ( max "load" yes ) yuo will easily see the flashing. They are inexpensive and a good visible indicator of ht, and its strength.

If you have a 12v laptop or scope, then use that.

Rule in or out the ign first.

As to the rest of the bike, look at the parts exploded views and manual. If its a Honda cg based engine use cmsnl for the exploded views as an example.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

When cleaning the carb, start at the fuel filler cap and work your way to the carb.

1. Was there much crap/rust in the flaot chamber bowl?

2. Does the engine rev freely and cleanly when the engine is in neutral and on the stand.

3. Does it misbehave when you sit on the saddle ??

4. Are all the engine mounting bolts tight?

How do cars perform when the air filter is dirty and blocked?

DJMadness29
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:40 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mileage is about 19000 km. No service history. Few parts I've managed to order for it are Lexmoto Arrow parts (Brake pads and kick start).

I haven't got any footage whilst riding as I haven't got a cam. I might be able to record on my phone but I use it as my speedo so footage wouldn't be good. I don't think it sounds too bad on idle and will rev to 9k without any issues.

When it dies its just like the idle has been set slightly too low. Just starts to cough a little bit then goes. Quick shift into neutral and starts on the button. If I hold the revs up a little then it doesn't happen.

I never said I was a good mechanic Laughing

No crap in the carb at all, seems to rev freely when in neutral (ill try and get a video tomorrow), Doesn't change if im in the saddle, just when driving. Will check the engine bolts tomorow.

My plan is to get into work a bit early tomorrow and take the air filter out and clean it. I've read to clean it, then dry it, then soak it in oil (engine?) then leave it to dry again (I didn't think it would dry if soaked in oil). Does this sound right?

Noticed the front brake pads was catching slightly then remembered that the pin had seized. So I've unseized that then noticed this...

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/20181211_142717.jpg

Which is this pipe

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/20181211_142721.jpg

That comes from this (don't know what it is? anyone help?)

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/20181211_142743.jpg

So we noticed that it was kinked and not letting any air through. We've temporarily manufactured a repair (read bodged) until I can find a proper replacement. It looks like PO has just put any old pipe on it and it wasn't strong enough. But on the way home I managed to get to 48mph. Seemed a lot happier too. Still hessitating a bit but a lot better than it was.

I think I need to try and reset the carb settings again now.

Also noticed that a breather pipe had been blocked off between the engine and the carb...

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/20181211_142733.jpg

Any Ideas where this should lead to??

Sorry about the bad photos the room I store the bike in at work has really pants lighting.

Cheers

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the previous owner was Mike Butcher,
At the end of the day you need more fuel or less air.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJMadness29 wrote:

Also noticed that a breather pipe had been blocked off between the engine and the carb...

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/20181211_142733.jpg

It is hard to see what's what in that picture; what is going on between the flanges pulled together by the bolts?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:52 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very low rent generic Chink build bike.

Generic Chinky/Asian motorbike licence law puts a mandatory 55mph speed limit on 125's, and most that we get are either geared down so they cant exceed that or have too little power to go beyond any-way.
55mph flat out is about thier limit.
A-N-D there's small issue of playing tunes on the gears.
How are you riding the thing?
It likely has the oomh low down to pull about 35-40mph in top gear, and very very common, particularly with milenial learned car drivers taught to change up to the tallest cog ASAP for enviro-mental-ism... Rolling Eyes to try do same on little low powered bike that HAS to be 'threashed' to get the revs up where the little power these things may make, as 'good' and as 'stock' might have.....
Ie rev the thing till its threatening to chuck a tappet or con-rod, in every gear, you MIGHT just get something close to top, 55mph speed from it.
Short shift... using gears not revs, very easy to get into fifth gear before you are doing 40mph, cos they 'seem' to have the ommph to pull it..... but try accelerating, that's your lot, they wont go no faster, cos the revs are always too low to deliver the power they need to go faster, so they dont... you have to cog down a gear, or two, to get the revs up, and get at the small power they may have, to get them to accelerate, and you will likely still only get to around 50ish in forth before they run out of puff, and fifth gear IS pretty much a genuine over-drive that just knocks the revs back down the range, where there isn't the power to pull the speed you want to go, so they will let you 'hold' a road speed, but that's about it.
May be not a lot wrong with the bike, what-so-ever, just the way you are trying to ride it.....

As to your size and weight, that should make not a lot of odds.

Force = Mass times acceleration.... your weight might mean it accelerates a bit less rapidly... but it's not likely to rip any-ones arms out to start with! But top speed occurs when the force made by engine's power equals the drag force from wind. I would guess that as a hefy six footer, you probably have a larger frontal area for wind to drag on... but still... it's no great shakes under 60mph, and you likely loose as much frontal area ducking your head down a bit, when your size, as presented to the air-flow, wont be much if any different to a 6 stone weekling, and you wont be topping out any lower than they would.

Oh-Kay.... eliminate the simple and obvious first, and thoise how you ride are the most simple and most obvious (at least to e!.. Common sense it seems isn't all that common, but still!)

So onto mechanical malaise... and top of the list is its a 125....... and more, a second hand 125, likely to have suffered unpety previouse owners all grumpling its slow as shite, and not doing any basic maintenance.

LOOKS like its got the old tried and tested... to destruction... CG copy motor in it, with common lobe cam and push-rods.

People seem rather scared of basic maintenance on a motorbike, which demand looking at oily bits... so they dont... even if they have the notion they should do some maintenance, which too many dont, expecting the thing to work on the button like a washing machine.....

BUT... basic service procedures include checking the valve clerances.... best done with the proper Honda tappet key and lock-nut spanner.... about £15 from Dave Silvers Spares, and maybe a cranked feeler guage, you can bend yourself from soimething from halfrauds for under a fiver.....

OTMH the service schedule for genuine Honda's says that these need doing about every 2ooo miles, or every other oil-change. I would shorten that on a second hand bike, I was learning the foibles of to every oil change, and see how it goes for a few.....especially on a Chink where the metal may be a tad 'soft'

But.... nail that one, eliminate the variable......

Stick a compression tester on it.... its a little one-lunger.... uise a decent screw in type tester to get a more accurate and meaningful figure, and remember to spin the thing up on the e-start not try and do it on the kicker, with the threottle wide open so it can suck some air to actually compress some!

Fit new spark plug..... timing should be pretty much factory fixed for life thanks to CDI electrickery... make sure no-oine has dicked with it and should be good to go.....

Carburettors TEND to be one of THE most reliable devioces on a motorbike, and they dont get much simpler than the simple cable slide carb on a single cylinder engine!

Air passed over hole drilled at 90 degrees, and via the pitot principle creates a vacuum in the cross drilling that sucks up petrol from the float bowl. A slide above the hole acts as a gate valve to control the amoint of air that can got in, and a needle hanging from that changes the effective size of the cross drilling, as the slide and needle go up and down, to keep the mixture strength about right....

There Is in a carburettor bog all moving parts, and very few of them have any rubbing surfaces, and thems that may, have effall load on them to make anything 'wear out'... as set by the factory, they PRETTY MUCH, should be fit and forget... they tend only to get effed up by fiddle fingers messing with the damg things and the lore that says "Have you Cleaned the Carburettor?!

Its been off, its been stripped, its been fiddle fingered... de-fiddle-finger it.... clean it, re-asemble it, USE NICE NEW GASKETS!!!! in the carb and in the flage it bots to where needed! Or it wont seal too well, and whatever 'suck' it aught to have, it probably wont see!!!

Set to book settings, it SHOULD be good to go.....

So if it DONT..... simple and obviouse knocked off the list.... could be that the bores worn out, piston riongs aren't sealing and or the valves and or valve guides are leaking, and the motor is pretty much bludgered and in need of full and proper recon.....

Actually not that hard on a CG copy motor, or expensive; IOSTR that a replacement piston and cylinder assembly, is around about £30, with rings and gaskets, its probably cheaper than trying to find some-one with a milling machine little enough to 'rebore' the one you got!

And that's last thing on the list.... if with new barel and lapped valves you cant get it to work, you have either done something very very wrong, or missed something not so obviouse, so go back and check, and tripple check.

These are NOT overly complicated or sophisticated engines, and as said, so often they are fiddle-fingered into oblivion by folk deturmined to not work logically, and not look at scary oily bits, wasting time and effort and money pulling sub systems like the carb or ignition to bits, like a drunk looking for his car keys under the street-lamp, because that's where they WANT them to be, not where they probably are, in the gutter under the chuffing car door, where they tried to get them in the lock!

But Hey... you the mechanic... even anot so good one, should be able to grasp basic concepts here, and get the thing working again... it AINT rocket science, believe me!

So stop looking for things to blame, and hoping to get a super-ninetendo super-cheat code to put all to rights.... JUST apply good old fashioned common sense and logic; be brave, look at scary oily bots, get the right tools, and work systematically....

And learn to thrash it like it was built to be using revs not gears.....

Best of luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Generic Chinky/Asian motorbike licence law puts a mandatory 55mph speed limit on 125's

That's very interesting. Where's that detailed, please?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: 125 Reply with quote

The ht lead looks chaffed in 2 places.......and there is that metal clip.......

The engine looks like a cg clones from the not so good pictures, the metal plate and angled pipe on top of the rocker cover looks like it could be a vent or breather, ( dont think its an oil supply to the rockers as in a cg that's in the cover and head ), does the larger diameter ribbed pipe go onto that ??

The alloy box thing, does that have 2 pipes, ones from the engine breather? and the other end to open air below the airbox, or may even plum into the air box.

The air filer, yes clean with solvent until clean, allow to dry, soak in engine oil ( usually ) and then ring or press out excess oil, it only needs to be damp not saturated.

The carb to engine connection looks as if it may have had a new bolt 6mm, and, the join with the next bit, is that all ok or leaking air ?

Does the tank have a vacuum petrol tap, or did have ??

Find the parts exploded views and descriptions of parts which can only help. Maybe the alloy box affair part number will appear on google???

Rule out ign fault, get and use a red neon plug cap for this, which can be used when you are actually riding the bike and flashes or lack of can be seen, when the fault happens.

Valve working clearance can be an issue and should be checked at least, but get a rocker cover gasket first. Do not be afraid to lift the lid but be warned about the oilway.......see cmsnl for a better understanding of a cg type engine.

You mentioned a seized brake caliper pin, how are the pads and does the front brake drag?? How are the back brakes and chain ???

Limited hp can be sapped away due to a dragging brake etc. etc. etc..

Tyre pressures all ok ?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:31 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
Generic Chinky/Asian motorbike licence law puts a mandatory 55mph speed limit on 125's

That's very interesting. Where's that detailed, please?

Various different Asian durastictions have different rules; and there's hundreds of them!!!! But they made quite a few 150cc variants of Japanese 125's in or for Tialand, where I 'think' their equivalent of the unsupervised L-Plate laws didn't have the arbitery 125cc capacity cap. In India, I believe that they based the licence restrictions purely on speed capability, and bit like the old '50' trailer sticker here, they have a speed limit on the number-plate for bikes that are allowed to exceed, I think its 65Km/h.... very Indian bit of pragmatism that one; sort of says stuff the dodges trying to deter tuned two-strokes, or folk getting round the laws buying YB100's and sticking DT175 cylinder's on them and stuff... just cut to the chase.... if it gets radar tripped over 50mph, your nicked san-jit!

The actual Chinese mainland 55mph limit, is similar, and I 'think' I actually found quoted in the Haynes Book of generic Chinky bikes.... but cant remember exactly....

Actually for OP a worthy read. I cant remember the actual Haynes No. But, covers most of the gerry-built chink four-strokes, singles and twins, with derivatives of the Honda push-rod CG or over-head-cam XL motors, the Suzuki GN lump, the Yamaha SR engine, and a couple of others. Has useful identification guide in it to help determine which original source engine was used in the chow-mein confection you have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:37 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been pointed out - the HT lead (takes the spark to the spark plug) has worn through - that could well be a huge problem.

DJMadness29
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:17 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help.

Tef thats a lot of information. Cheers. I am aware of the rev it like you stole it but I was still only getting 30 odd in 3rd and 39 in 4th. now getting about 50. I'm not expecting it to go like a ninja but expect more than what I've got.

Got a few things to order so added a HT lead to it. Only place I can find that has anything for mine is MotoEparts.co.uk. Anyone used them? any good?

As far as I am aware it is a CG clone. On the parts site its just got the alloy box thing as a valve Confused

I've tried to get a better photo...

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/Mobile%20Uploads/20181212_132257.jpg

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/Mobile%20Uploads/20181212_132252.jpg

Air filter was a mess so cleaned it up and refitted. Still not running right though.

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/Mobile%20Uploads/20181212_074116.jpg

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/Mobile%20Uploads/20181212_074316.jpg

Seemed to be a lot of oil/residue in the airbox though...

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/Mobile%20Uploads/20181212_074132.jpg

I've sprayed brake cleaner over the carb/joints whilst the engine was running and there was no change so no air leaks.

I want to check the valve clearances but last time I did something similar was on my classic mini tappets years ago. So I'll add a rocket gasket to my shopping list. Front pads were a slightly unevenly worn but have only been in for 100 miles at most. Rear brake is poor, the pedal sits about an inch higher than the footrest and I cant for the life of me work out how to adjust it, but thats for another thread once I've sorted this issue.

Tyres are both at 30psi.

Hopefully answered some questions, and hopefully the photos are a little better than last time. If not let me know where you need them and I'll take them.

And to finish off, Instead of the elf on the shelf for the little'un we have a naughty Stitch, and this is what I came downstairs to the other morning...

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/DJMadness29/Mobile%20Uploads/20181212_070259.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see those photos well. When I view them, they slide sideways on that photobucket thing & I can't look at individual ones & enlarge them.

I don't really like the look of the thick plastic spacer on the engine side of the carburettor. Are you sure it does not leak? Spraying the thing with cleaning stuff won't make it leakproof, the stuff will just get sucked in. Perhaps take it apart, it's only two bolts, and investigate. Note, the alloy flange is easily distorted by over-tightening the bolts, use a straight edge (e.g. steel rule) to check. If it's bowed, flat it with some abrasive paper on a flat surface (kitchen worktop would be OK), tape the paper to the worktop & rub the carburettor around in a figure-of-eight movement until the flange face is dead flat. The clip holding your air filter hose on to the carb is all sideways, not that it will be causing the problem...

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: 125 Reply with quote

Yes get a rocker cover gasket and see cmsnl for whats under it, it will be similar.

No need for the rule of 9 with this, but you are aware of the flywheel marks, T and F. I will let you suss out there meaning.

You know the correct valve working clearance?

can you take some more pictures with the tank off showing the rocker cover ( to show you oil way ) and where the rocker cover "breather goes to, the metal plate and pipe.

Also take a pic of the largish rubber pipe and where it goes to/from.

Also a pic of the tanks fuel tap.

Also of the ht coil, the lead may be "glued" in rather than replaceable.

Is the front brake caliper free, a pic of that would also help. You are aware of the different types of caliper, a pic would identify the type on your bike.

your original post contains.......When riding in any gear the bike stutters and hesitates. It doesn't smoothly rev through the range.

So, get the red neon plug cap for ht testing ( loss of ht, uneven ht, reduced ht strength ) to either identify a ht fault and rule that in as a possible ( there may be other faults as well ) or rule that out.

How are the engine bolts for being tight??
#
The box thing, a better pic of that and where the pipes go......

looking on the parts site you mentioned.....

ps, the air box picture with water?? i hope none has now got into the engine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the plug out and turn engine over, just in case you end up with a HYDRAULIC LOCK due to water in the cylinder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just had a quick look at the parts site and exploded views, which can only help you.

print them off along with the descriptions, BUT not the OHC type engine as yours is a push rod cg type.

See the rocker cover and the metal bent pipe, suggests its a breather pipe.

See part number 3, the short bolt with its washer, this blanks off the oil way end drilling.

With the engine running, if this short bolt is removed, oil will flow from the hole.

going back to the parts place for more looksee.....

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: views Reply with quote

I would print off all exploded views for your bike so yuo can study/suss out stuff.

Fuel tap is gravity feed with a tank filter ( is that clean ) and sediment trap ( is that clean ) , it even has a fuel gauge !

Engine has a centrifugal oil filter under the clutch cover which at some time will need inspection/cleaning. A new clutch cover gasket needed due to old one tearing and has oilways to centri oil filter.

Not sure how clutch basket is held on, may peg slotted nut or circlip. Find out!!

The rocker cover bent pipe etc looks to do with engine breather via the box thing valve. study.

So, some more studying of this bike for you as well as pictures and research.

How is the rear brake, stiff and not very good, sticks on??

Also how is chain, lubed and in proper tension??

Engine has limited power so any power robbing will slow the bike down, all routine servicing stuff really that you are very capable of doing.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: cg clone Reply with quote

Nothing on the parts site mentioned seems particularly expensive, but many parts add up.

The ht coil looks as if its a complete unit with ht lead attached.

The attachment shows one of the red neon spark plug caps I keep banging on about with the plug nipple and adapter.

Well worth the money and the hassle of making an adapter, money well spent.

Perhaps your work place has some of these, and even a scope as well as timing light to check ign trace ( scope ) and ign advance and operation ?

The red neon can be fitted to the bike and test ridden, you will be able to look down and see loss of ht when the fault happens, but the darker the better so do it at night on a safe road.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:53 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think you need a rocker cover seal, to do tappets?

You did them on an Austin 'A'? Had a cork seal twixt cover and head, wobbly damn thing & pain to get ti sit in the cover rebate & not squish out at some point.... most often the bit you cant see, esp on an in-line 'A' like in a moggy or midget, by the bulkhead....

But... CG not a lot different, big rubber seal like on a pressurer cooker lid only not having to hold anywhere near the pressure!

IE, they are 'Re-Useable'!!!!!

Stop making excuses GO LOOK AT GREASY BITS!

Oil in air-box has come from the crank-case breather venting....... hints at excessive crank-case pressure; possibly from over-filled oil.... just as likely from blow-by past the piston rings....

see earlier comments about how cheap new cylinder/piston kits are for these things, and eliminating the stupid/obvious and being brave looking at greasy bits!

These are simple little engines without many bits in them; you could do a top end rebuild in an afternoon on one, OR waste days scratching your head trying to avoid looking at anything that may have oil on it.... your call... and your a chuffin mechanic ffs! This 'real' mechanics not IT Techie stuff!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2