Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long term effects of living at high altitude (3000+ metres)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:10 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I thought the point was that they had adapted to need less oxygen? Still, must be a tipping point where it doesn't pay off anymore.

Among the stuff I researched ysterday, I read that 8000m is generally considered the 'death zone'. Humans can adapt or evolve to deal with less oxygen, but it's almost impossible above 8000m where the oxygen availability is just too low to sustain a human body.

MCN wrote:

21% of atmosphere at sea level is O2 the rest is N2, small CO2 and tiny other stuff.

Higher altitude has thinner air so less of the shit we need 21%<.

So things that live at high altitude develop a way to suck more 02 from the thin air.
I think we need 17% to break even. 17%< would be in the passing out dept.

Tut Tut

Oxygen ratio is always about 20%.

The thing that changes is the air density. The mix you breathe in is still 20% oxygen and 80% other stuff, but there's less of it in each breath.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:45 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I thought the point was that they had adapted to need less oxygen? Still, must be a tipping point where it doesn't pay off anymore.

Among the stuff I researched ysterday, I read that 8000m is generally considered the 'death zone'. Humans can adapt or evolve to deal with less oxygen, but it's almost impossible above 8000m where the oxygen availability is just too low to sustain a human body.

MCN wrote:

21% of atmosphere at sea level is O2 the rest is N2, small CO2 and tiny other stuff.

Higher altitude has thinner air so less of the shit we need 21%<.

So things that live at high altitude develop a way to suck more 02 from the thin air.
I think we need 17% to break even. 17%< would be in the passing out dept.

Tut Tut

Oxygen ratio is always about 20%.

The thing that changes is the air density. The mix you breathe in is still 20% oxygen and 80% other stuff, but there's less of it in each breath.

We measure it regularly at work it is rarely (No Pun) less than 21%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1114067/

But with relation to smoking and the health/life benefits of.

I know lots of folk who smoke live longer than those folk hit by a bus crossing the road.

One has to die of something so why not a slow, cruel and torturous death. (Meaning the effect on family and friends of the choker.)

Smokers help to pay for our NHS through Tab Tax. Shocked

Smokers can live until they are over 80 years of age.

Smokers have a right to smoke and not have another citizen ask or force them not to or do it in another place. (Frighteningly, some folk choose to not smoke and have that as an equal or more natural right.)

Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Yup, the Death Zone is where it doesn't matter how fit or adaptable you are. The altitude where the human body basically starts to die without supplemental oxygen. Hence the catchy title.

I would change Reijufixing's statement of "you'll be fine" to "you'll probably be fine"' but monitor carefully how you feel, and have someone else monitor you as well for a while. You are aware that there are possibly consequences of going to altitude, and that's a good start. Many who do such aren't. Those who ignore symptoms are in the most danger.

It's probably also worth noting that some people who have not had problems going to altitude before can still be struck down on other occasions. I don't know if you're going high enough that such folk would be affected, but altitude seems able to play a wild card when it wants to.

I think in the long term, you will adapt. There have been plenty of lowlanders who travel to places like Nepal etc to live and do charity work or whatever, and they adapt just fine. But there are always exceptions. I think the most important part is the early stages. Don't push it if you don't feel right - head down again for a bit, then go up again when you feel fine. That's basically the main thing. If you feel rough: GO DOWN!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 11:51 - 08 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:50 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're living with a doctor, next to a hospital, in a town full of people who arent dead, when the previous staff of the hospital are also not dead.

Stop worrying, go and enjoy the opportunity!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I would change Reijufixing's statement of "you'll be fine" to "you'll probably be fine"

ROFL! I assumed he was in average shape, but someone up there^ said he was a "compute nerd"....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I would change Reijufixing's statement of "you'll be fine" to "you'll probably be fine"

ROFL! I assumed he was in average shape, but someone up there^ said he was a "compute nerd"....

That is what passes for average shape these days Wink Laughing

Assuming he's in "reasonable" shape, i.e. is not a wheezing, gasping, overweight blob, it doesn't necessarily make much difference anyway. The fittest can be struck down with AMS.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we need oxygen to live, but it's killing us slowly through oxidisation?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
So, we need oxygen to live, but it's killing us slowly through oxidisation?

Cheer up. Life is killing us Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:08 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
the previous staff of the hospital are also not dead.

How do you know that?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
B5234FT wrote:
the previous staff of the hospital are also not dead.

How do you know that?

The dead are still there.

Nothing Oxidises at altitude. Shocked

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:10 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived at 2200m for five months (ski season). Took me a month to realise why my rollies were going out constantly and why I was getting out of breath going up stairs. Also my alcohol tolerance was cut in half, interesting side effect. I don't know how different 3000m would be.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the statistical probability of falling off the edge.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2