Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB1000R/CB650F vs MT09/07 vs Z1000/900/650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: CB1000R/CB650F vs MT09/07 vs Z1000/900/650 Reply with quote

Hi All

Still looking for my perfect London commuter, brain says NC750 but heart says no.

Is a litre naked a silly idea for stop-start commuting through London?

I like my bikes noisy and with some grunt. Coming from the old CBR600F4i I would want similar pulling power, I have put the smaller engine sizes as a choice but worried if I got the CB or Z650/mt07 it would be underpowered to what I am used to.

Have narrowed it down to these bikes which I like the look of after going round to look at them and sit on them, next step is to try and get some test rides done, will probably do the MT09 and CB1000R on saturday as close to me.

Budget to buy outright would be £4-5k plus £2k I hope for my CBR. However I may just end up getting a new bike on 0% finance or getting a small bank loan

Any pros cons of the above I should be looking at?

Heart says MT09 but I know they are a thief magnet and the Z looks like it would be good looking to the local london scum, so thinking the CB looks quite common so less of a target (although anything goes in London! and security can only be so good)

Cheers

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine in the MT is awesome. Loads and loads and loads of grunt. The rest of the bike is decent enough. But that engine.
When I test rode one I returned the bike then put a deposit down on a brand new one sitting in the showroom.
It's a great filterer, tall, upright and very very light. 188kg wet to be precise (mine is anyway but newer ones
may weigh different) biggest problem with them is they go like a full on sportbike but handle like a commuter so if you
are giving it some then the suspension lets the whole package down a bit. But I reckon it will excite you more than the Honda.
Give A mode a try if you find it wanting (I doubt you will.) It's like some maniac shoehorned a 900cc engine into a 125
sized bike just to see if it was still rideable afterwards. Absolutely hilarious. I spent 7k on mine in late 2016, but bought an older
model year. Its a MY2015 which in my case means ABS but no traction control. If it's noise you want, its a great sounding bike
but even better with some Akrapovic. If buying used then try and find one that has already had an exhaust change.
The Akra stuff is very pricey, my full system was the cheap one at £750.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:59 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

cheers, I am going to ride the MT09 tomorrow and also the CB1000R, I don't know why I am leaning towards the CB so much, perhaps because I have always had Honda and it just looks a bit more "chunky" if thats the word, but will try them both out and see what I think, ABS would be nice! unsure if I really need TC on a London commute tbh

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get the lightest one, or an old bike with a kicker that'll deter the thieves

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It's like some maniac shoehorned a 900cc engine into a 125
sized bike just to see if it was still rideable afterwards.

That's a good description as to how it feels to ride. It's fucking brilliant, and not just a little scary at times. Ideal pokey commuter IMO if motorway miles aren't the main focus. Best engine I've experienced.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lasted 6 months or so wit the mt-09 .. as said it makes the power low down immediately from the off and kicks in as a hooligan tool it is .. suspension is sh1t budget and lets it down .. there are a few mods for the engine which sort of help but i hated the fcukin horrible bastard thing
.. traded in for a

cb1000r abs
as a package it does exactly what it says on the tin .. everything works .. brakes .. running gear .. frame ... as it should,together .. engine delivers power in a precise controlled delivery as and when required .. very mild mannered under 5k with loads of torque makin the gearbox almost "redundant"..

probably the easiest bike i've ridden ..

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, I've got an MT07, whilst I can't really compare it to anything else it's my first bike (apart from a ybr 125) it's absolutely perfect for me. It's lightweight, as a short rider that's very helpful, the torque is brilliant, it's flickable and fun, easy to filter. The stock exhaust is terrible but I put a black widow on mine and it sounds unbelievable. The 07 gets a big thumbs up from a new rider

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:32 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a Z750 until it was wiped out by an un insured driver, Because I loved the handling so much I replaced it with the Z800. I have heard the Z900 is every bit as agile and a bit lighter, If I was to ever change bikes again I will be sticking with the Z series. Great fun for around town and my 800 is just as happy at 30mph in 6th gear around own as it is in,,, erm.... 70 ish on the motorway
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:57 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've commuted into London on all sorts of bikes for years.
Things I like to have are light weight, light handling, low speed grunt, and ABS. ABS is for confidence in the wet that I can brake hard with less risk of skidding. Lightness is a lot less tiring in heavy traffic, and easy to manoeuvre into a tight gap.

All that said, don't buy something you don't like. I was bored out of my skull riding a CB500, which is the right bike on paper. I had a lot of fun riding Harleys, which should be entirely wrong. Currently on a new Guzzi V9, which seems about right for me.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 09 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experience with both the MT09 (I own a 2016) and z900 (dealer test ride). No experience with the Honda, sorry.

MT09 feels lots lighter, slightly taller in the seat, but it's very narrow so even with my 29" inside legs it's not too bad. Engine is fantastic, grunty and full of torque

Suspension is a bit underdamped, rear spring is too hard, front springs are too soft (76kg in gear), I upgraded to Ktech cartridges/springs and Razor R rear shock and it's pretty sweet now. Need to get it on track for a proper play.

But there are cheaper suspension improvement options, imo the rear alone is probably worth upgrading and living with the front, as it isn't that bad really. Just a bit divey.
On the 17+ bikes the front forks are meant to be better, so that would get my vote.

Z900 had a silky smooth gearbox and engine. Didn't have that in your face kick that the MT09 has. But it's still bloody fast. Shit dash. Lovely smooth throttle.

Suspension setup on the z900 is very similar to that of the MT09 if you read owners forums. A member called forksbymatt has dissected both front ends and confirmed that both front ends are made by the same manufacturer, both have a single leg doing the damping, main difference is that the MT09 has an extra 10 or 20mm or so of travel. I know he has modified Ktech and other brand cartridges for the MT09 to fit the z900 for various customers. Assume just modifying the overall length.

I'd buy a z900, I did buy a MT09. Both great bikes, if with somewhat budget suspension in stock form.

If MT09, be sure to get the 17+, saves having to spend on forks. Rear can be fixed with a shock from Nitron/Ktech or Ohlins if you're a fan boy.

As for them being stealable in London. Just fucking move from that shithole and be done with it Thumbs Up

Last edited by bacon on 14:33 - 10 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:18 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

thanks for all the responses, so I did do some test riding on Saturday, mostly town (which is 95% of my commute) and managed a little bit of open road.

CB1000R (non ABS) - quite comfy bit found it a bit cramped as the bars are so close to your body (I am used to my arms being quite stretched coming from the CBR) - lots of usable power but feel it would probably be wasted on my stop start commute, definitely a contender

NC750X (manual) - so for fun thought I would try one of these out, super comfy and really liked the riding position, no power but wasn't expecting much as I know what the bike is built for, to be honest a very very good bike and does what is says on the tin - a very good commuter (I am still relatively young so think I can wait on the NC just for now)

FZ8 (non ABS) - what a crap bike, gearbox clunky clunky, zero pull from low down - it kept stalling when I was trying to slip clutch but got used to it quickly, seating position OK - similar to the CB1000 - but not impressed at all

MT09 (15 plate) - WTF is all I have to say, no wonder the local pondlife like this bike so much, especially with the akra system, stupidly loud, power from the slight twist of throttle, very very comfy with the high bars, so far this is the winner Mr. Green have read about the jerky throttle response so will look for a 17+ if I am getting one, although the guy in the shop said it had been sorted by the 15 plate model? only negative I had was the jerky throttle as I am used to a 4cylinder CBR where the power builds up. also being 20-21stone at 6ft2 I did find the suspension a bit shit when braking, I am hoping this would be different on the 17+ bikes?

So brain says NC750 but heart is saying MT09 right now, MPG isn't too bad either on the MT09.

Final bikes to try are the Z series as they look quite tasty, so will have a go on the Z800 or 900 soon and also considered the GSX-S750 which looks quite nice although I never been a Suzuki fan

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
MT09 (15 plate) - WTF is all I have to say, no wonder the local pondlife like this bike so much

Mr. Green Not just the pondlife. I love mine. Never found it jerky mines a MY15. But I came to it from a twin so it felt
smoother than what I had before. On the 17+ you also get a slipper clutch and a quickshifter.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:
MT09 (15 plate) - WTF is all I have to say, no wonder the local pondlife like this bike so much

Mr. Green Not just the pondlife. I love mine. Never found it jerky mines a MY15. But I came to it from a twin so it felt
smoother than what I had before. On the 17+ you also get a slipper clutch and a quickshifter.

I understand why people love it, it pulls right from idle, very very nice bike, yeah the one I rode apparently was a MY15 model but felt jerky, I guess I'm not used to throttle response - after 30mins I was able to slip the clutch no issues, the guy told me about the A-mode, when I returned I told him even in STD the bike is mad, no way was I touching A-mode on a test ride bike, I will do it with my own.
the akra system is crazy loud, can't imagine what it would sound like with baffles out, also I love when you roll off the throttle you get the nice pop pop pop as you come to the lights.

have you changed anything on yours?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:04 - 11 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive really been considdering the Mt07, as an "upgrade" from my old er6f2007... I say "upgrade" I know its about the same class of bike but Ive heard really good things about it... not only is it a bit more powerful it feels a little smoother if you want it to be....

I love the look of it and the lightness... my only kinda issue with it is its naked.... I do a lot of A road/motorway riding... and i know im going to miss the fairing... :p

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:15 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Bandit 1250 for years, was great.

Then I had an MT07, was a laugh but built out of tin cans with pogo stick suspension.

Then I test rode an MT09, was an even bigger laugh but expensive and still built out of tin cans with pogo stick suspension...

So I test rode everything in existence... But they were all a bit “Meh”.

And then Suzuki relaunched the Bandit 1250, so I bought one.

Is good. Very Happy

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Ive really been considdering the Mt07, as an "upgrade" from my old er6f2007... I say "upgrade" I know its about the same class of bike but Ive heard really good things about it... not only is it a bit more powerful it feels a little smoother if you want it to be....

I love the look of it and the lightness... my only kinda issue with it is its naked.... I do a lot of A road/motorway riding... and i know im going to miss the fairing... :p

Tracer 700 then...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:14 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

Tracer 700 then...

really no.... not the same bike, its far too tall compared to the mt07, also its a bloody courier bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1