2019 Honda CRF450L

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 90's trail bikes! Thumbs Up
I always liked the KLR as they threw a high revving DOHC design at the engine in the aim of making the best or quickest big for the time trailie. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out as intended and the less fancy XT/XR etc were better bikes and more punchy too.

Oh what I need is a 0% finance deal on a 2019 Supermoto, or else a cheap looked after SVX550 to come up for sale locally. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
So what's the difference between this bike and this one with an embarrassing 25bhp?

The CRF250l makes 24bhp so I don't get why they'd come up w/ a 400cc bike that adds only one bhp to that. Regardless, I came across this:

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

Quote:
There was a rumor going around that this bike only made 24 hp and we can say that is completely false. It looks like a European Honda site mistakenly posted the CRF250L’s hp number for the 450L’s. We asked Honda for a publishable HP number for the 450L and they said it was in the 40s. For dirt bikes, Honda (all OEM’s actually) don’t give out HP numbers since there are so many variables in dyno’ing the bikes. Also, Honda added that there is only a 4 hp difference between the X and L and that the cams and cam timing are exactly the same.

Had a talk with my mate today about the crf450l and its power - he assured me it actually *is* circa 25bhp. I said I was pretty sure it wasn't. So I went to the fount of all wisdom, MCN - which also quote a figure of 25, in its review.

Price? Nearly ten bags.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/crf450l/2019/

https://i.gifer.com/3Bf.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:03 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would presume the answer is "masses of midrange" and "low revving" in relation to the 250.

Especially if they are both derived from the respective competition bike.

The first enduro I did, I did on my KTM690. It was incredibly wet (like long sections where water was halfway up the wheels, with exposed root networks hidden under the water - I still seemed to be going past a good few better riders on competition bikes. I put it down to the high gearing giving wide spacing between the power pulses, so that the tyre had plenty of time to regain grip.
Also, of course, I didn't have to use lots of revs to get power - plenty from not far off idle (the 690 is actually a bit revvy - but not compared to a 250 4 stroke competition bike!)

And on that - it's still only 8kg lighter than that KTM690, a bit newer ones which are around 70hp! Aftermarket exhaust on the KTM would straight away get it a bit nearer too.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 06 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah good points - that was my mate's argument too. Accessibility of power. Plus also the 450 is nearly 15kg lighter, apparently. Still - it's almost twice the price. It looks like you're paying double the money for 1bhp more, and 15kg less. That's a big ask from Honda. Doubtless, if you could ride them back to back on your favourite trails, you'd feel all kinds of difference. However, just looking at the spec i.e. power to weight in particular, and then the price tags, you'd be excused for wondering what honda was playing at.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:30 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember it's not just power to weight, but the weight of picking up a bike for the 15th time that day when you're pretty knackered - also giving the tyres an easier time when they're scrabbling for grip on a gloopy top-surface as you're coming up to a sharp turn with a mixture of brambles and nettles straight on if you don't make the turn Smile.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 07 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
but the weight of picking up a bike for the 15th time ....brambles and nettles straight on....

like this Thumbs Down My Beta is over 50kilos lighter Thumbs Up

https://i.postimg.cc/s277pryg/12299289-10153117725381207-9125017663961483938-n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I would presume the answer is "masses of midrange" and "low revving" in relation to the 250.

Especially if they are both derived from the respective competition bike.

The first enduro I did, I did on my KTM690. It was incredibly wet (like long sections where water was halfway up the wheels, with exposed root networks hidden under the water - I still seemed to be going past a good few better riders on competition bikes. I put it down to the high gearing giving wide spacing between the power pulses, so that the tyre had plenty of time to regain grip.
Also, of course, I didn't have to use lots of revs to get power - plenty from not far off idle (the 690 is actually a bit revvy - but not compared to a 250 4 stroke competition bike!)

And on that - it's still only 8kg lighter than that KTM690, a bit newer ones which are around 70hp! Aftermarket exhaust on the KTM would straight away get it a bit nearer too.

I just wanted to mention some other info that's knocking around RE the crf450l's power output etc.

Some are saying that a replacement ECU is available from Honda for around £300, and with this fitted, the bike will make 45bhp.
Apparently, for the Australian and American markets, the bike makes that figure as standard.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you're all worrying about. Im almost certain that the de-tuned quiet and clean enough to be road legal CRF will be 45bhp at the flywheel as std. They'd not try and sell it otherwise, and remember this very same engine with some slightly different internals, cams and more compression almost makes 60bhp.

Oil changes at 600miles isn't a problem for a lightweight 450 with a trick chassis and tunable ex race engine, and valve clearance checks at 2500miles. Motocross racers would think they'd won the lottery if they had such relaxed service schedules.

It'll sell well, but the bigger cc and not much heavier KTM/Husqvarnas will be good competition for it.

I've heard that Yamaha is also going to bring out a new WR450F that's fully equipped and road legal too.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much it matters in the grand scheme of things, but I've yet to find anywhere on the internet where it says the UK CRF450L will make more than 25bhp stock. If you can find a source I'd be interested in reading it.

As for whether it will sell well, the emerging consensus is that at £9.5k it's unlikely. Time will tell, though.

Fwiw I personally am toying with the idea of a 200 exc. And a budget of 2-2.5k.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sure £9.5k is a bit salty, but the 450R is nearly £9k and they'll be plenty of buyers for that bike who want to win in open class MX races next year.

Remember a new 125cc enduro bike is over £6k, I should know as I lust over them far too much!

Oh and good luck with the KTM 200EXC. I just have serious reservations that you'll find an old one that's worth having for that price.

Dagon
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:47 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just wanted to mention some other info that's knocking around RE the crf450l's power output etc.

Some are saying that a replacement ECU is available from Honda for around £300, and with this fitted, the bike will make 45bhp.
Apparently, for the Australian and American markets, the bike makes that figure as standard.

I've seen similar. It seems the kit is an ECU and an unrestricted intake boot. Part numbers are the same as on the stock US bike apparently.
A few different reports for the Aus model - either the dealers fitting the kit or making it easily available.

I'd be very interested in this if it wasn't for the price.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2