Does this class me as a bicycleist

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I've got a load of 4ah or so 36v battery packs I can use with this - hopefully I'll only need one or two at most per trip.

G my brother custom builds his batterys he's getting about 15+ ah out of them
he 3D prints the cell holders then wires / welds them up some parallel some serial then makes the cases for them

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
G wrote:
I've got a load of 4ah or so 36v battery packs I can use with this - hopefully I'll only need one or two at most per trip.

he 3D prints the cell holders then wires / welds them up some parallel some serial then makes the cases for them

I remember somebody here did a bit of that, the bike was silly when he got it motoring Laughing

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
oldpink wrote:

I remember somebody here did a bit of that, the bike was silly when he got it motoring Laughing

the higher ah rating is more for range and to accommodate the higher wattage drives than outright speed
thats down to weight, wattage elevation etc the larger capacity allows for longer journey's or hilly terrain

just now he supplies 3 models

630Wh (17.5Ah) £600
500Wh (14.7AH) £450
400Wh (11.6Ah) £400

the 17 ah can get 45 - 90 miles with a full charge using a 250w motor

for now were going to put a 14.7 ah onto mine as the chinese ones are not reliable for a full trip
I want to be able to do 20 - 30 miles on battery alone round trips

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:11 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it.

https://www.ebike.scot

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep
its an old site, my brother has been laid up with some medical issues and hasn't updated it in a while but word of mouth orders are keeping him busy with builds, mostly for off road versions of his current models

thats why he wants me to help with the electronics and battery construction
we have someone thats very good at lacing up the spokes and setting up the wheels all done by hand Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:06 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:

I've also got a 13ah /12s Lipo pack, a 13ah 13s li-ion (18650) pack that needs looking at and 20ah lipo pack.

However, for use in a festival I want to keep it as light as possible, as it'll likely be carried between tents too.

Even a fairly low amp hour pack can normally provide very decent watts if it's lithium (LifePo4 a bit less so).

For instance I've got a 4.25ah 4s pack that can pump out about 8600W - albeit, not for that long a period!

I also have reasonable access to a load of dead 18650 6s battery packs and a 3d printer, many of which may have usable cells in.
I don't however have access to the spare time to make use of them!

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

we decided to upgrade my electronics and battery as the chinese one was acting up and cutting out

we changed to an 11Ah battery my brother built and replaced the controller and the display
took about 10 minutes all in as the battery is slightly bigger so required a new cradle

we fitted a KT-LCD3 display unit that I love as It gives me so much moire info on battery and range as well as speed
tomorrow I'm changing out the controller with a KT36v unit in a custom case
and I found a new use for go pro sticky pads there ideal for sicking the controller to the case to hold it in place Thumbs Up

with the original control pack still in place you can feel a lot more torque on takeoff and a bit more speed than before
and the new control unit should improve it even more

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok quick update
set all the parameters and did some testing today but mixed results
I initially set the wheel dia to 29" as per the video's I used (26" rim plus 3" for the tiire
this was giving me speeds of over 23mph but my GPS was saying 19

my brother said to drop the wheel dia to 26" and it was giving me 17mph as he said the video had it wrong
max draw on uphill was pulling just over 500w of juice but on the flat it was showing 280 - 300w and giving me 20+ miles range with full power
after 16 miles I still had about a quarter left but the voltage drop was well within range from full to go further
tomorrow I will take it out and about locally and run it right down and do a full charge as the battery has not been used in a few months so needs a full cycle to bring it up to speed

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:29 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

new project

1000w motor front wheel 48v battery with a lot of new features like integrated rear indicator / light and camera with LCD dash display
front LED lamp with a cool frame and orange though I may opt for a green
this will be my personal bike

we are half way through a custom ally frame with white powder coating that almost floats with a custom front shock and white wheels that will have a 1000w front drive 48v hand built battery ready by march
last weekend we assembled a Prusa i3 Mk3 to do the plastic's we need
and ordered the Creality pro to handle the battery casings as we need to print over 300mm
loving the R&D aspect as I get to play with a Mk2 prusa that has been dialed in and upgraded Razz

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2