Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GSXF600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Holmezy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:09 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Suzuki GSXF600 Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I'm a newbie!!!
I have given a Suzuki gsxf 600 which is, hopefully going to be a winter hack. It currently has damaged panels and I'm pretty sure it's seized due to lack of oil?
So my questions are;

Are GSXF750 panels compatible?

and

If I run some oil down the bores, leave it for a day or 2, whats the chances of it freeing so I can strip it?

I don't want to spend loads on it as its not worth it, but I dont mind fettling in my shed?
Holmezy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s scrap. Burn it and move on unless you have a spare 1127 lump to slot in.

Holmezy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:51 - 08 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly the help I was hoping for!!!
I accept that it's not the best bike in the world, but it's only got to get me through the salty, wet, icy winter!!! Then I'll happily "burn it"! Was just looking for some info really,,,,,,

but thanks anyway!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Holmezy"]Not exactly the help I was hoping for!!!
I accept that it's not the best bike in the world, but it's only got to get me through the salty, wet, icy winter!!! Then I'll happily "burn it"! Was just looking for some info really,,,,,,

Allot seem to like being negative mate on this forum .

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:34 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring the flippancy of GT200Fan's response for a moment...

GSX600F's are ten a penny and all very cheap. One with a seized motor is worth less than nothing unless (as the aforementioned says) you happen to have a replacement engine for it lying about. Guaranteed you'll spend more on parts, or even a replacement engine than you would on an entire replacement bike.

It is genuinely worth more as scrap these days. Lots of older bikes have increased in value and become modern classics or what have you, but the old teapot never will. It's just too ugly, too basic and too poorly built.

So, as much as we come across as negative, unfortunately the advice is accurate. If you like throwing good money after bad, then by all means try to fix it but seeing as it could be a dropped valve, a seized piston, a seized camshaft, a screwed crankshaft or even a seized gearbox, it's just not going to be worth it.

If it were something with a little cache like a 1100 Katana or something, it would be worth repairing, but as it is you'll be spending a minimum of 800 quid on a bike that's only ever going to be worth 800 quid when working.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:40 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dtaylor12345 wrote:

Allot seem to like being negative mate on this forum .

"Allot" seem to post questions and then get grumpy when they don't like the answers we give from decades of motorcycling experience. I know GT200Fan has been riding for approximately a similar amount of time to me (maybe longer) and I've been riding, fixing, buying and selling bikes for 20 years. We do generally know of which we speak.

Our responses tend to be flippant because once you've written the same thing a hundred times when new members come in and ask the same questions you tend to want to mix it up a bit and give different styles of answer. That doesn't necessarily mean that what we're saying is inaccurate, just that we're getting bored of saying the same thing to the same kind of people who don't really appreciate a realistic answer, and want to live in a happy funland where we give you EXACTLY the answer you want and are expecting.

Alternatively I could tell the OP that he could get the bike going again with a eye dropper full of semi synthetic and a plastic mallet. I'd be lying, but if it would make you feel better, maybe that's what I should say.

So I guess this is why Millennials need safe spaces, right? Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:56 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for sale on ebay, currently approximately a day to go and at £255 (admittedly reserve not met). It seems in decent nick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283297024916

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:35 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will cost you nothing to put some oil down the bores and try to free it up. By all means, give that a go, put some fresh fuel in it, and see if it can run properly.

If it doesn't want to play, as Marje says, don't spend money on it. You'll very quickly spend more than its value on parts. In fact, a gasket set and a service will probably cost more than its worth.

Silver lining - you can sell anything on ebay, as long as it's broken. I've seen knackered project bikes go for more than a roadworthy example of same, as long as you start the auction low. If it is fucked, stick it on ebay with an honest description and see what happens.

If you want to ignore all this and press on regardless, budget £500 for the engine repairs, another £500 for the bodywork, and £500 more for servicing, consumables, and chassis parts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:57 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Here's one for sale on ebay, currently approximately a day to go and at £255 (admittedly reserve not met). It seems in decent nick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283297024916

Sold for £500. I've said for years that any bike with an MOT is worth at least a grand. Seems in the case of the 'ol teapot I was wrong.

I was considering one for my commuter bike, but my VFR is a better bike in every way, and only cost £1600.

Holmezy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:56 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: GSXF 600 Update. Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments,,,,,,,flippant, sarcastic, advisory et al !

I fully understand that the "teapot" is never going to be a classic, and fully understand the cost of parts, whether that be secondhand, new or whatever!

So here's an update...…

Panels from a 750 do fit! I've managed to beg, scrounge, "acquire" the fairing, a starter motor, and a drop of oil for the princely sum of £75. I now have a crappy, mostly black with a bit of blue, teapot that will get me through the salty, icy winter before being sold on Ebay as a hack! If you're interested, drop me a line! Wink

When the nice weather returns, the VFR will reappear!

Thanks for all the help,,,,,,Merry Xmas!!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1