Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Full suspension E-Bike for touring?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Qucartwd
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Full suspension E-Bike for touring? Reply with quote

Hi,
This is a discussion, for the optimum electric propulsion for a heavy touring bike, assuming big grade slopes (positive and negative) along the way.
I wish not only to drive on roads (and cars), but also to cross countries by off road trails. (4x4 gravel roads at worst - not single tracks, drops, jumps...)
I did such a touring across Estonia by using Google Earth to locate forest roads. It was amazing. I didn't have a motor (it was just flat anyway), but some forest roads were quite bumpy to my back, hands, and to the equipment I was carrying. (I used a rigid touring bike)

First, I wonder if there exist a full suspension bicycles for touring:
Probably with shorter suspensions, but with geometry that allows standard front&rear racks to be used, so they located in the SPRUNG zone of the bike https://mechanicfaq.com/shocks-for-harley-touring/?
There are solutions to regular full suspension bikes, but those racks are attached to the unsprung parts - for example on the fork beneath the shock absorber.
I would also like to use 700c tires, and not small 20inch or so.
I was considering, however, the option of taking my full-suspension E-Bike that has two motors, and attach a trailer behind it for the equipment. This adds a significant drag, and it would be impossible to use it outside of well paved asphalt roads.

Now about electricity:
I see two optimum options:

1. Front DD motor and rear geared motor: The front works alone during flats where it's more efficient and low power is needed, and also regen during downhills. The geared joins at takeoffs (to pass as fast as possible the low efficient speed zones), and works continuously with the DD during uphills.
I have such configuration, and compared to just a single front DD - I save 40% of the energy during uphills.
The location is also optimum for each motor - More weight and traction is needed on the rear wheel during ascents, and more weight and traction is needed on the front during descents.
The downside is that only one motor is working during regen (and it's significant with touring weight), and the geared-motor wouldn't live long with the added equipment weight above while off-roading.

2. Two identical DD motors - For example two H3540's, which exists both as front and both as rear. This increases regen recovery compared to a single H3540 but it's less than two-fold power increase like on forward propulsion - in the order of 20-30% increase from the regen of a single DD. It does however let you regen more slowly, and powerfully, especially if you go down very steep roads with sharp turns - and add some rain to make the scene more interesting. As you slow down on a 2x2, you are much more weather resistant against slippery. It simplifies the use of a single throttle and CA, but still requires two controllers. (Phaserunners).
The downside is the much higher weight (15Kg for 2xH3540, compared with 10.5Kg for H3540+Ezee250), and a double cogging torque in case you have to pedal alone if there is a flat battery or other malfunction.

What is your opinion?

Last edited by Qucartwd on 07:39 - 20 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:25 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're looking for www.bicyclechatforums.com Wink

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/ ?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Full suspension E-Bike for touring? Reply with quote

Qucartwd wrote:
What is your opinion?

I am of the opinion that you have come to the wrong forum. But we're pleased to meet you, anyway.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:27 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Full suspension E-Bike for touring? Reply with quote

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ is where you want to be.

But, seeing that wit the right system you can have more power than a lot of small motorcycles...

I'd go for a mid drive personally - that way the wheels stay light, so you can take the luggage off and have some fun.
However, plenty do fine with direct drive and the big names like Stealth use them of course.

I have panniers that connect to the wheels on a full suspension bike - though they aren't setup to work with an electric motor as it works with QR spindle wheels.

Look for 29" bikes - they can take 700c tyres. However, you'll be losing out on grip if you go for road biased wheels.
You could also consider a 'pusher trailer'. I've got a mountain bike trailer that can take 200kg or so and be pulled by a normal push bike or my direct drive hard tail bike.
I've since added 2x1kw or so low geared geared hub motors with wide 20" unicycle rims show with 16" (they are measured differently) motocross tyres for loads of grip.
It can be used as a 'pusher trailer', or just to help move the load.
However, it was made for taking big loads short distance, not small loads big distances.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:09 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Full suspension E-Bike for touring? Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Qucartwd wrote:
What is your opinion?

I am of the opinion that you have come to the wrong forum. But we're pleased to meet you, anyway.

I am sort of sanguine on that, and ACTUALLY since to LEGALLY ride an electric push-bike that's any faster and more powerful than the things they flog at Toys-R-Us for toddlers to bruise school-run-mums shins with..... it needs to be registered as a motorbike, and be subject to the same tax, MOT, insurance and rider licence as something powered by petrol..... HE JUST might have actually stumbled through the right door into here!!!

Idea that adding a motor to a push-bike to go longer distances might be a good idea, isn't anything particularly new or novel.... and the conclusion for the best part of a century has been the 'Motorcycle'.... which begs conundrum... what's the 'advantage' of an e-bike?

Take on board, the fact that if it can actually do the job hoped of a motorcycle, it needs to comply with motor-vehicle law, have a number-plate, tax and insurance, and the rider must have a licence and wear an approved 'motorcycle' crash hat... it's starting to loose the attraction as far as cost and convenience goes; chuck in the little niggle of what to do when the batteries go flat, compared to topping up a petrol tank... to my mind, its a camel of an idea, before you chuck in the red-tape-gymastics surrounding trailer laws, and the fact that you aren't allowed to tow one with a motorcyle beneath A2 licence regs......

It's entire merit, as a start point would seem to be flawed.... add a motor, its no longer a push-bike; it's NOT some-sort of eco-mental salvation.... fossil fuels still have to be burned 'some-where' to make the electric it uses.... and the rider not pedaling, cant even look smug and make mutterings about endorphins and muscle tone.... while they try dodge road-traffic law, riding something that should have tax, test, licence and a crash hat, without!!!

And ultimate answer to the OP's conundrum, would ultimately be something like:-
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTw3X4CTp4q88SBZvNpXdkh1rT9WnWuwIU1U_ipn4ALcjdM9Aby
Which brings us back-around.... he possibly HAS stumbled, unwittingly into the 'right' forum!!!

He needs introduce himself in the New-Bikers section; ponder CBT and the routes to a motorcycle licence, then look at the touring and adventure section for further inspiration!!!!

The Long-Way-Round... by e-bike...... I suppose there's lots of sun in the Gobi...... how heavy are solar charging panels....... I wonder if you could mount them on the side of the rack to charge as you go? Hmmm... part push-bike, part hang-glider!I wonder whether you'd need a private-pilot's licence as well as a motorbike licence? Lol..... Could be fun, filing a flight-plan to go to Sainburies!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:25 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Full suspension E-Bike for touring? Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

I am sort of sanguine on that, and ACTUALLY since to LEGALLY ride an electric push-bike that's any faster and more powerful than the things they flog at Toys-R-Us for toddlers to bruise school-run-mums shins with..... it needs to be registered as a motorbike, and be subject to the same tax, MOT, insurance and rider licence as something powered by petrol..... HE JUST might have actually stumbled through the right door into here!!!

The OP mentions riding around Estonia.
Quite likely where he's riding they will have different laws to here.
Also, you can now have up to 1kw on e-bike that meets appropriate regs with out the number plate.
1kw is enough to 'surprise' Cars and Bikes away from the line, even in a direct drive geared fairly high.

And again; as ever, you've told everyone how about how you were riding an actual motorbike with an internal combustion engine totally illegally, so doesn't seem like you should be throwing stones.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:23 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12 miles an hour maximum electric bike speed allowed by law here is a joke. It should be ignored as should all stupid, interfering crap foisted on us by meddling arseholes in those comedy circuses at Westminster and Brussels. I'm 68 and regularly ride my forty year old circa 40 pound, iron Raleigh Superbe a lot faster than that. Why should an electrically assisted bicycle be regulated to a lower speed than an old git can pedal a bicycle.

It's the usual problem that politicians foist on us. They think that everyone should be controlled to a miserable kind of slavery to the whims of people who think they know better than us by virtue of the fact that they studied PPE at university. This course is about as worthless as you can get. It is all about learning to argue black is white. Politicians? Worthless interfering fools.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
The 12 miles an hour maximum electric bike speed allowed by law here is a joke. It should be ignored as should all stupid, interfering crap foisted on us by meddling arseholes in those comedy circuses at Westminster

The reason they foist this on you is the NHS. Can't have a nationalized health service without making public health in the public interest, otherwise you're potentially wasting the public's money on injuries caused by particularly reckless members of the public.

If you could opt out of the NHS with some proof or evidence of private health care, and that private health care gave you extra rights or relief from restrictions; or there was insurance mechanisms to guarantee that the reckless paid for their tomfoolery, things might be better.

(Brussels is more likely to introduce legislation to avoid mockery of per-country regulation on the continent, where you can simply hop over the border into another country in your now illegal vehicle. International legislation for minimum standards is unavoidable in integrated economies.)

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Full suspension E-Bike for touring? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Also, you can now have up to 1kw on e-bike that meets appropriate regs with out the number plate.
In the UK? I thought it was still 250W max? https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:54 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000w bike laws?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/new-e-bike-category-ups-power-1000-watts-396471
https://www.mcia.co.uk/page/press-release-16

"When intended for road use, an electric bicycle or speed pedelec over 250W and not over 4kW is classified as a moped (L1e-A or L1e-B). Speed pedelecs fall into the L1e-B category. That means any such vehicles must meet all the requirements that a moped and moped rider need to comply with:
Be 16 years of age or over
Have a moped entitlement on car license or a valid CBT
Wear a helmet
Fix ''L' plates if appropriate
The rider needs insurance, road tax and an MOT"

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:28 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's L1e-A specifically that covers that.
It was new to me recently - I questioned an advert on facebook, which are normally from foreign companies selling the UK, but they said they'd had someone get it sorted to be legal in the UK. Turns out there have been recent changes.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/eapc-regulations
Quote:

A brief outline of the two main ‘e-bike-like’ categories you may come across:

1 E-bikes controlled by a throttle where there is no need for the pedals to be turning to engage the motor – so-called ‘twist and go’ machines. New models of these kind are now classified under EU law under the L1e-A ‘powered cycles’ category that allows power up to 1000w, with power assistance cutting out at 15.5mph. Twist and gos are potentially very helpful for those with any kind of condition that severely limits a pedalling action, but the procedure and exact requirements for registering them remain unclear. Note twist and go e-bikes bought before the introduction of the new laws and limited to a 250W motor rating remain effectively legal and so can be legally purchased and used as second hand models.

2 Machines that exceed the 25kmh assistance limit are generally known as speed-pedelecs or s-pedelecs. Again, there is an EU regulatory class for such vehicles with assistance limited to 45kmh (L1e-B – two wheel mopeds). Some UK e-bike retailers say they now have a process in place for registering such machines for legal use on-road as mopeds. Mopeds in the legal sense that is; as pedalling is still required to enable motor assistance these are in reality superfast e-bikes of the pedelec variety. The user will also need insurance, legally certified helmet, vehicle excise duty and a qualifying drivers licence (and potentially down the line an MOT it seems).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/603646/eapc-e-bike-qualification-guidance.pdf
Quote:

1.2 Cycles where power can be obtained even when the rider is not pedalling
(twist and go)
Under European law these cycles are categorised as “L1e-
A” and are required to obtain
EU or domestic type approval. They are not required to be registered.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chuck a spanner into the debate:

You have an ebike of 250 watts. To help with battery conservation you tow a trailer with a generator set on it. That set recharges the batteries but doesn't provide enough power to operate the ebike electric motor.

Is that legal??
(probably not - it's the UK)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:31 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has been questioned and the answer is 'inconclusive' in the UK I believe.
Another option would be to have the generator on your back. I've got a GX25 I'm planning to make into a generator I expect to get around 250W out of, but that's for a completely different purpose.

Mounted on the bike it's self, probably not legal.
Of course, if using for touring and it was quiet (the one I'm making will hopefully be VERY quiet), you could leave it to charge the batteries over night and when stopped.
I would guess that if the generator couldn't run when the bike was being used, they'd have a hard time classing it as a motorvehicle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1