Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brinkmanship.

She has to say that otherwise nobody will vote for her deal. If she didn't, many MPs would vote against it not because they want 'no deal' but because they want another referendum.

All she is doing is telling MPs that the choice is her way or 'no deal'.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a curious question for the masses:

If we had a way to poll the UK as a whole tomorrow (ignoring that the last ref was a poll).

And it came out as a majority remain this time.

Would it then be democratic to go forward and push the leave?

There you go actually, stick that one in a poll.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Personally I think they should be

Remain
Leave on TM's deal
Leave without a deal.

And there we have it. The typical remainer stitch up method for ensuring a win.

Well, obviously, there will be a win, not necessarily for remain, as let's face it, remain didn't get over 50% last time, so, why should it this time, if everything you keep telling us is true. Or, are you saying, people will look on, having seen what has happened over the last 2 years, the eu, standing up for what's best for their members, you obviously not liking that, classing it as tantamount to bullying Rolling Eyes etc, seeing their jobs now on the line due to the effects already being felt, before we even leave, might, just might change their mind... Nooo, surely not ! You should be happy with another referendum, as it allows the opportunity for a leave vote, with known terms to be supported all the more robustly, who's to say this time round the remain vote won't decrease in percentage points, giving you even more validity to your point of view.. So, go on, embrace it, in your eyes, you should have nothing to lose, and all to gain !
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
If we had a way to poll the UK as a whole tomorrow (ignoring that the last ref was a poll).

And it came out as a majority remain this time.

Would it then be democratic to go forward and push the leave?

Had the referendum gone the other way, as I've stated before and I'm not bullshitting, I'd have respected the democratic result... I'd have thought we were doomed but I'd still have respected the result.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Had the referendum gone the other way, as I've stated before and I'm not bullshitting, I'd have respected the democratic result... I'd have thought we were doomed but I'd still have respected the result.

I believe you, not really what I'm asking. I nailed my colours to the mast ages ao about my views on democracy. I might stick a poll up tbh, I am curious.

Last edited by Sload on 14:44 - 17 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Remain
Leave on TM's deal
Leave without a deal.

To remain, and end brexit, remain would have to get more votes than either of the leave options together, ie, more than 50%. If not, then, highest voted for option of the 2 leave options should be taken.

Imagine Brexit is a presidential election. You're asking for a previously eliminated candidate to be allowed back in the running (the candidate you want).

Sload wrote:
I believe you, not really what I'm asking. I nailed my colours to the mast ages ao about my views on democracy. I might stick a poll up tbh, I am curious.

The only accurate way to 'poll' a country is by a referendum Confused

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Oh my God, you really are thick aren't you?

Sit down and think for a minute before hitting the keyboard. If the leave vote was split into 2 options and (let's make this easy enough for you to take in), say Leave with no deal got 30% and leave with May's deal got 22%, then Remain would only need 31% to win, not the 48% they got last time.

Please, try not to judge me by your standards. You scope the referendum question as leave or remain, to remain, the remain vote must have a greater total of votes, than the 2 leave options combined, so, in your example, leave with no deal, gets 30%, Tm's deal, gets 22%, that equate to 52% of the overall vote, meaning, remain, cannot get over 50%. In the scenario that you presented, leave with no deal, would be the outcome of the referendum.

There, wasn't too difficult to understand now was it?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Oh grow up FFS!

Try debating, rather than jumping down my throat at every opportunity.
You're so desperate to have a go at me, that you make a right tool of yourself in the process because you don't engage your brain before you start ranting.
A perfect example of this was your rabid response of trying to pick me up on figures, because you were thick enough not to realise that the entire imports of the UK don't come in via Dover.

Rolling Eyes

You have no idea on the scale of freight clearance in Dover and how it went to 10% overnight when we entered the EU. I have first hand experience and so do many of my customers. I share an office with a firm who went from over 40 staff to 4 overnight in 1992.
I know you're a bit hard of thinking, but even Dianne Abbot wouldn't be denying that we'll need around a 10 fold increase in freight clearance if we have to start clearing EU imports. The Port of Dover estimates only 2-3% of freight coming through it's port is not from the EU. The vast majority of these are Turkish and need full customs clearance.

Give it a rest, you're making a right tool of yourself here.

Back to avoiding the topic, so, what you are really saying, is you don't have any contracts in place as a direct result of the brexit process..

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Speculation time - What do you think would happen if we get another vote (which I think we will) and the result is the same?

Will we get mass suicide from the ruling elite Praying

I can't see them putting the choice - Leave without deal - on the ballot, they wouldn't have wriggle room.

If they just have - Leave - again Rolling Eyes , they can fudge it some more like they are doing now.

Of course they will want - Remain - to win but......

This time, those who hadn't closed their minds to any thing other than what they originally voted, have had chance to see what is happening, compared with what was promised, from either side. It will also depend on the questions ..

Remain
Leave on TM's deal
Leave without a deal.

To remain, and end brexit, remain would have to get more votes than either of the leave options together, ie, more than 50%. If not, then, highest voted for option of the 2 leave options should be taken.

So splitting the Leave vote!

How about
Remain
Remain with TM's deal
Leave without a deal

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its dead easy - leave or remain. If you vote leave, then split it into TM's deal or no deal.

Apologies if that has been said before....

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM's deal will be unacceptable because it would, almost certainly, trap us into the EU indefinitely.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

So splitting the Leave vote!

How about
Remain
Remain with TM's deal
Leave without a deal

That option doesn't exist, remain is defacto status-quo. Remain with TMs deal is Leave with TMs deal dressed as remain. Which vote do you think it would split, honestly?
Anyway I'm trying to study here, shhhh you lot Laughing

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Oh grow up FFS!

Try debating, rather than jumping down my throat at every opportunity.
You're so desperate to have a go at me, that you make a right tool of yourself in the process because you don't engage your brain before you start ranting.
A perfect example of this was your rabid response of trying to pick me up on figures, because you were thick enough not to realise that the entire imports of the UK don't come in via Dover.

Rolling Eyes

You have no idea on the scale of freight clearance in Dover and how it went to 10% overnight when we entered the EU. I have first hand experience and so do many of my customers. I share an office with a firm who went from over 40 staff to 4 overnight in 1992.
I know you're a bit hard of thinking, but even Dianne Abbot wouldn't be denying that we'll need around a 10 fold increase in freight clearance if we have to start clearing EU imports. The Port of Dover estimates only 2-3% of freight coming through it's port is not from the EU. The vast majority of these are Turkish and need full customs clearance.

Give it a rest, you're making a right tool of yourself here.

Another thing, what on earth is your fixation with Dover? First, the figures are for the whole of the UK, stats from the ONS..

The UK, imported 55% of it's good from the EU in, and exported 51% to the eu in the 12 months up to May 2018.

You are harping back to an era where, IT systems were alot more primitive than they are now, you are stuck in the past, and, to be fair not the best past to be stuck in, the early 90's were not great.. If your customer base was to increase 10 fold, as you keep saying, and yet can't back it up with actual real figures, why are they not already recruiting and getting the training packages in place. Did you know, in 1992, you could still find whole floors in large organisation, in typing pools, in 1992 warehousing was labour intensive, move forward to the present day, typing pools are almost non existent now, and warehousing and distribution, is largely automated, whether that be with Amazon, or, even Clarks shoes..

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great, that's all we need, Cameron sticking his beak in !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46592394

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Which vote do you think it would split, honestly?

Divide and conquer's the oldest trick in the book. linuxyeti must think we're all idiots.

You can argue May's deal is closer to remaining (in the EU) than leaving which's why it should be the remain option. Don't forget she's a remainer Wink

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

I think we could all probably get behind the idea that this dude should GTFO after the exit he pulled.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

I think we could all probably get behind the idea that this dude should GTFO after the exit he pulled.

He probably sniffs the UK staying put and a way back into politics.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, TM is still continuing her good work to get us out of the EU:

"Theresa May pushes forward £2bn no-deal Brexit preparations"

Headline from The Graun. That's good, isn't it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

He probably sniffs the UK staying put and a way back into politics.

Ooh Ooh, I can get my nose back in the EU trough.

Cameron, the person who has to wholly take the blame for this.

Blair and him in one of those Isis cages and a gallon of 4 star wouldn't go amiss.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 229 of 523