Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Danger! Death! Amputation! Disabilities! Brain damage!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 13 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Nah that was only a medium Teffing.

Teffing 'ell! Laughing

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As transport? It's risky. High risk groups are young people, those on just a CBT, those on small capacity machines and those returing to riding after a long break.

As an adrenalin sport? It's relatively safe and cheap (see horseriding, skydiving, surfing, sailing). Adv riders and grenelaners are underrepresented in accident statistics.

If you're worried, get training. Get licences, do bikesafe/ERS, join IAM, or pay big monies for offroad riding school.

I used to tool around on private land a bit as a teen and did some had a bit of training, it was loads of fun, I fell off loads but for the most part you bounce on wet mud.

Did Bikesafe when I was on 33bhp licence (pre A2 rules), really helpful, ERS not long after. Trying to IAM in the car (boo, hiss) at the moment but its a bit disorganised and i've been sabotaged by needing to lend car to my mum.

I was 27 when I got off my ass and started road riding. I'd just left achademia and was quite ill. Then the singer in my band headbutted a bus on the way to his shit job at a bank. He survived but that knd of brain damage rewrites your personality. It was the kick up the ass I needed to do a few things whilst i still could. And I'm losing friends to suicide, drugs, type 1 diabetes, cancer. You only live once. Don't live a shit life regretting all the things you didn't do.

Last edited by talkToTheHat on 16:43 - 14 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Don't live a shit live regretting all the things you didn't do.

I understand that but there are also probably a lot of people in wheelchairs or missing limbs that regret ever going near a motorcycle. It's all part of the decision, I think a lot of bikers start from a position of ignorance (that it'll never happen to them), and then when they do get hurt on a bike by then the addiction's already there.

New(er) riders often have an accident and stop, for them the danger has become real and they don't have the compulsion to carry on.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:17 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me (inexperienced rider just starting now in mid 40's) the fact that the OP feels he needs to ask these questions clearly shows he is very worried by whatever he had read or heard.

With this amount of uncertainty about safety it is likely it is going to play on his mind when he is riding. Distractions about crashing is not something you shoud have on your mind while on a bike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
With this amount of uncertainty about safety it is likely it is going to play on his mind when he is riding.

I'm the opposite, on the bike I twist the throttle, endorphins are released and the sense of danger goes. Off the bike yeah bikes are stupid, dangerous, I wouldn't want anyone I care about riding one Smile

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it, just do it safely. With proper training and good kit.

I got hurt a few months in. If I'd have been wearing trainers and jeans, i figure being pulled along with ankle between bike chain and ground could have been messy. And there i was sat waiting for x-ray reading through the small ads in mcn. I could have stopped then. I'd have regretted it. I'd have been one of the people justifying giving up becasue it could have been much worse.

I was riding again a month later. Riding's kept me sane. It means I'll visit my mum or friends given the slightest excuse, becasue it's an excuse for a ride. Needed some artists' paintbrushes yesterday. Cost me a tank of fuel.

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you die? Absolutely, one day, 100% guaranteed.

Will a motorbike have anything to do with it? Probably not. 114 deaths per billion vehicle miles for motorcyclists (2013 in the UK) Looks awfully high compared to the 2 for cars, but 114 / billion is one every 8.7M miles.

10k miles a year for the next 50 years is only half a million miles. Only 1/16th of the way to the point were you're starting to push your luck.

As Tef noted (if you picked it out of the wall of text), there's plenty of everyday things you do without thinking that are riskier.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:18 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much death and brain damage could be avoided if only 'the road ahead was clear'

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:21 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
if only

Everyone is going to have to wait a bit longer because "Don't order yet!"

Shocked

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your worrying about it this much already, maybe biking is not for you, although i do know where your coming from. I had been humming and aarghing for a few years before watching a program and seeing a guy riding round country roads and i thought, "I really want to do that" So the next day i booked my CBT.

3 month later in April 2018, I passed my test, had my full licence and i picked up my MT07 the same day. I don't have 1 single regret about any of it. It's probably the best decision I have ever made, my only regret if any, is that i didn't do it 14 years ago (I'm 32 now).

Most bike accidents from what I've seen on youtube etc, are bikers going too fast, either round corners or too fast in general. If you don't ride like an idiot, watch out for every car pulling out of junctions, roundabouts, don't stay in peoples blindspots on dual carriagways, motorways etc (which i know seems a lot, but you soon get used to watching everyone around you), and you will be absolutely fine. Get used to your bike first, It's far too easy to become over confident far too easy. I did this at a biker cafe with 1000+ bikers watching when i dropped my bike as my partner climbed on the back and i didn't have my side stand down, very embarassing moment but i learn't from it and i will never do that again.

Hope you have made a decision and ride safe.

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:16 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP Before you get all fecking smart arse with me, i can read and I can understand you pointless question, please understand the friggin variables are the same for all bikes once rider and bike have separated at any speed.. simple physics pal, so no point in pissing comps and scar comparisons is there? Google Guy Martin crashes not that hes the only rider but you can judge for yourself the recovery and the luck and the variables involoved in stacking anything.. my advice is;

Get a 125 on the CBT, commute on A roads, if you still want a "bike" do the DAS when you get you first 600 or vstrom you'll feel safe as houses! Lol

No fecker gets out alive mate, but we've all had days when we "felt" it wasnt our day... some even stay at home.

You can mitigate all the risks in the world, but can't mitigate the risk of a twist.

Adventure bikes, so are you planning on a lot of green lanes and tracks? Because I feel a more roadstar type bikes is better equipped to handle A roads and towns tbh. There is no safer bike, not like cars mate, less mitigation of physics available.

Remember its not the speed you stack this shit its the speed you stop that'll kill you.

Go for it, join a club, generally DAS centres and schools do ride outs and that, a good and well priced bike will not loose value fast, so if you sell give up you'll only loose the cost of you actual kit. Plus you will be able to say i did it but wasnt for me.. better then "I'd love a bike, but im just sooooooooo crazzzy id kill me self"..

A CBT and 125cc plus bit of kit will set you back less then a grand, 500 even if you got biker mates or go really basic. Cost may not be an issue to you but looking good cash should be an issue to all!

You can do you CBT on a schools bike and hire kit, at least you'll get a Day.. be warned though its not much of "real" experiance, but gets you using hands and feet together 👍

Goodluck and stay safe

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop looking for excuses not to try biking and give it a go.

Yes it's dangerous, but so is walking down a flight of stairs.

A few hundred bikers are killed each year, a few thousand people die in accidents in the home. Therefore applying the principal that you can prove anything with statistics biking is infinitely safer that sitting indoors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lo-Fi
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Danger! Death! Amputation! Disabilities! Brain damage! Reply with quote

rider90 wrote:
I really love motorbikes and want to learn to ride via a direct access course to A licence, then get myself a Suzuki Vstrom 650 XT.

TL:DR whining about safety, blah blah blah

Never. Gonna. Happen.

I have a suspicion you have been asking lots of these sort of questions in various places around the net and get fluffy cotton wool answers about how 'you can do it' and 'you'll be fine'.

Well buttercup, you won't be. Big adventure bikes with ABS and traction control won't save you and can still be scary. If brain damage and death is something that worries you then I suggest motorbikes aren't for you and you should take up something safer - like knitting.

Last edited by Lo-Fi on 21:50 - 18 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wanna buy a bike?

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sock

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:39 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeless wrote:
Sock

Stupid sexy Flanders.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Danger! Death! Amputation! Disabilities! Brain damage! Reply with quote

rider90 wrote:
Am I a fool for wanting to get a motorbike?

Yes, but probably not why you think

Back when I cared about these things I used to argue about bikes, from memory Powered Two Wheel users are something like sixteen times more likely to be killed or seriously injured per mile travelled.

However I believe that life isnt measured by time, but by experience and by all the gods I live so much more with a bike.

At the end of the day there are risks, but life is about risk. You are the only person that can make the right choices for you.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to read.

Sad

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:49 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been riding 50 years. Yep bikes are dangerous. Perhaps that adds to the appeal! Well actually, bikes are not dangerous, but throttle hands are! Still, better to have ridden and crashed than not ridden at all.

Andy12345
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:21 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats so funny, ive been wondering what a teffing meant Laughing
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2