Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Upgrading Windows help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Learned something new today, so am done.

cheers,
GAaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It's an obsolete interface. If you get as far as upgrading the RAM I'll happily send you a Win' 7 installation DVD, and/or a blank hard drive in case it doesn't work and you want to put the XP drive back in, and I'll link the other stuff you need to unlock and update Windows etc..

Hi,
Thank you!
I'll happily gamble a tenner on the memory boards & attempt to upgrade.
If I get as far as getting 2gb ram, I'll hapilly take you up on the offer of the DVD.

The reason I say DVD & not hard drive, iirc it's an obsolete ata version, yes it's that old (I'd need to check speccy again to be 100% sure)

I'll watch a couple of youtube videos & maybe learn something 😎

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
The reason I say DVD & not hard drive, iirc it's an obsolete ata version, yes it's that old (I'd need to check speccy again to be 100% sure)

I have 2x 40GB and a 60GB ATA drive going spare* Smile

*yes I have a hoarding problem, and no "do you want to see some old computer bits" doesn't work with the ladies (it bloody should) Crying or Very sad

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:21 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stirlinggaz wrote:

I have 2x 40GB and a 60GB ATA drive going spare* Smile

*yes I have a hoarding problem, and no "do you want to see some old computer bits" doesn't work with the ladies (it bloody should) Crying or Very sad

Hi,
I have same hoarding problem but mostly bike bits but now moving onto random laptop & electronic stuff 😀
Google suggests laptop will only support 2gb ram , so happy to gamble a tenner on 2 new 1gb Samsung boards.
BUT the hard drive, I'd gladly take.
& swap out old hard drive.
Then try fresh install of Windows 7, if that's possible.
Then hopefully if it goes pear shaped I can return to original specs.
PM with details cost etc & we will sort something out.

Cheers,
GAZ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might have an issue with the Win' 7 disc, I only have DVD+R discs which I don't think your laptop/DVD drive supports Neutral I burnt the disc on my laptop which then couldn't read it Rolling Eyes, even though my PC could and even an ancient laptop I used to format your drive could as well:

https://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/15/13/82/47/img_2013.jpg
^ for 'fun' I might try and get Win' 7 working on that tonight Smile

I could install Win' 7 on your drive and then not boot into it, I've done this before but I'm not sure if you'll end up in a world of driver issues.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

And I did (with no Win' 7 drivers). I had to install the graphics driver in compatibility mode and block the standard VGA driver from installing, but the XP sound and wireless lan drivers worked fine. Now I'm feeling a bit more confident about you getting your laptop running properly under Win' 7 Smile

I was still left with a few driver issues (I haven't tried to resolve yet) but I'm surprised I got this far seeing as this laptop's from 2005...

Quote:
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/drivers.jpg

I'll stop nerding out now Shifty

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
M.C wrote:

And I did (with no Win' 7 drivers). I had to install the graphics driver in compatibility mode and block the standard VGA driver from installing, but the XP sound and wireless lan drivers worked fine. Now I'm feeling a bit more confident about you getting your laptop running properly under Win' 7 Smile

I was still left with a few driver issues (I haven't tried to resolve yet) but I'm surprised I got this far seeing as this laptop's from 2005...

Quote:
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/drivers.jpg

I'll stop nerding out now Shifty

Hi,
You do realise 99% of your post is like a foreign language to me Very Happy

Cheers,
GAZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3