Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Package thief glitter bomb

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Package thief glitter bomb Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46604625

Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit suspicious this was staged too, it has gone very viral with even the BBC embedding it, getting on for 30 million views (? not checked) at a conservative estimate about $1 per 1000 that's good going.

Having said that it's pretty funny watching the reactions, and yeah skip to about half through for the fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Looks a tad staged as a self promotion video to me. Too much on how he built it and what he's achieved in the past.

Maybe. I found the design/build part really fascinating though. And I can get that someone who's interested in electronic wizardry like that and apparently has the time and money to spare could devote his energies into making something like this

mpd72 CPT wrote:
I'm amazed the thieves left the 4 Iphones for the guy to pick up time and time again.

Bear in mind that they would have no idea it was anything other than a glitter/stink bomb; they didn't know about the video/GPS capability. I thought the addition of the fart spray to make the thief dump the device was a masterful stroke, though I would have thought there would also have been a strong likelihood of the thief smashing it up in anger.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
The £3,500 worth of Iphones must have been pretty easy to see, when they filmed the thieves in such detail. I could see them quite clearly.

OK for LOL's, but definitely a self promotion video IMO. I wonder if the guy is looking for work?

From what I could see the phones were housed inside a solid plastic sealed casing and were not visible unless you smashed it open.
However, I do find it hard to believe that the device would last as long as the video suggested it did.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YouTube guy has added a note to his page stating that two of the original clips (now removed) were indeed staged; apparently he'd paid volunteers to leave the package on their doorsteps who screwed him over. Seems like an open and honest 'mea culpa'.

I notice in my advert box here, at the bottom of BCF, there's an ebay glitter bomb to prank parcel thieves - I wondered if the YouTube guy had gone into mass production, but it's rather lower tech: just a box containing a potato wrapped by 6 layers of paper all interleaved with "glitters".

Yours for a mere $100 + shipping: for real?! Shocked

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I notice in my advert box here, at the bottom of BCF, there's an ebay glitter bomb to prank parcel thieves - I wondered if the YouTube guy had gone into mass production, but it's rather lower tech: just a box containing a potato wrapped by 6 layers of paper all interleaved with "glitters".

Yours for a mere $100 + shipping: for real?! Shocked

Me too. "Mailbox Package Thief Glitter Bomb: £99.90"

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the design/build of it as much as the results

I think if I were to do something like that I'd engineer a devices that could fling sloppy dog shite everywhere rather than glitter.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1