Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vans that don't rust to bits?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Vans that don't rust to bits? Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a van.

I previously had a swb transit, but it was the poverty 85 model and was completely gutless, and like most transits, was rusting to death. I liked how simple and bullet proof it was. I didnt like the mid 20's to the gallon or the 50mph up hills.

I've got about a 4 grand budget.

It needs to be able to fit a motorbike or two in the back, not rust when it sees water (aren't some galvanized?) and not have a grenade engine.

Currently looking at hiaces, 2.0hdi boxer/relays or possibly the lwb hi top scudo/dispatch, unsure of size.

It'll be my only vehicle so a bit of economy wouldn't go a miss either!

Any recommendations?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get a Fiat.

My current work van is a ducato 2.2.

It is shite, slow, gutless and falling to pieces with only 7.5k on the clock.

6 months old and there is corrosion showing on anything exposed to the elements.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fart arse stupid little engines everything seems to be getting these days because eco don't help. They've
started putting them in vans now as well. Great big cars like Skoda Octavias being run on 1.2 engines Rolling Eyes .
Was in a Honda dealer the other day looking at the newest Civic "That's a 1.0 litre!" the salesman proudly announced,
to which I rolled my eyes. Immediately he responded "They go better than you think." Not exactly flying out of here
though. Are they?" I replied. "Anyway, How well does it go 4 up with a dog in the back and a boot full of luggage?"

He slunk back to his brochures. Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
The fart arse stupid little engines everything seems to be getting these days because eco don't help. They've
started putting them in vans now as well. Great big cars like Skoda Octavias being run on 1.2 engines Rolling Eyes .
Was in a Honda dealer the other day looking at the newest Civic "That's a 1.0 litre!" the salesman proudly announced,
to which I rolled my eyes. Immediately he responded "They go better than you think." Not exactly flying out of here
though. Are they?" I replied. "Anyway, How well does it go 4 up with a dog in the back and a boot full of luggage?"

Funny you should say that but 6 weeks ago I was forced to drive a new Ford Ka with a gutless 1 litre engine - me driving and 3 adult passengers.
At one point the road speed got to 50 but the car didn't - I actually thought it was broken. That was on flat ground too..

This van thing interests me. I'll possibly be hunting for a van myself - for some light work but also for Scotland with a bike and me sleeping in the van.

My son is a mechanic and I've asked him in the past - he says the French stuff isn't too bad but I suspect that's more for working on. He doesn't seem to repair nasty bits on them - just springs or bushes if I remember right. He does like their cavernous size inside.
I remember the original Hiaces rusted like sugar in hot water - are current versions OK now?
He's out now or I'd ask him for you.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've a vivaro at work, 2011 model that's used by multiple people. It's done 190k and not one thing has gone wrong with it.

Covered in dents and scratches too and no sign of rust. Out of that, our LWB transit and Vauxhall combo, all 2011 and the transit and combo having considerably less miles it's been the better vehicle by far.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rust on my 2012 Transit connect, nearly 100k miles. Mines a 75. Good for 80 plus with roofbox and wife and
dog on board plus all we would pack, eat and drink for a week away. Been forced to use mine as the holiday wagon as
our car is way too small now we have the dog. They definitely seem to hold together better than full size transits do.
After a wash mine looks brand new and it was used by a quantity surveyor based at a quarry before I bought it.
It saw almost constant muddy gritty conditions, the only place that is evident is on the wheels which look a little bit
tatty with some flecks of surface rust, but that's all. If anything will get me to sell it on, it will be because it's a diesel
I will get a couple more years out of it, then it will be legislated away to the scrap heap for emissions related reasons no doubt.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a half decent car/estate/mpv type thing and a trailer for the occasional lugging bikes and crap about instead?

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ford/merc = rust bucket, generally frenchie vans dont rust,even old vivaro, partner/berlingo's can look spanking with a bit of polish.
I have a 4 year old peugeot partner, the 90 odd bhp one, its plenty nippy, a lot more than my old 85bhp swb transit

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
We've a vivaro at work, 2011 model that's used by multiple people. It's done 190k and not one thing has gone wrong with it.

I built that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Vans that don't rust to bits? Reply with quote

garth wrote:
I've got about a 4 grand budget.

It needs to be able to fit a motorbike or two in the back, not rust when it sees water (aren't some galvanized?) and not have a grenade engine.

Currently looking at hiaces, 2.0hdi boxer/relays or possibly the lwb hi top scudo/dispatch, unsure of size.

It'll be my only vehicle so a bit of economy wouldn't go a miss either!

I currently have a FIAT Scudo 2.0 JTD SX (Window van), which is a 2-L 16v diesel (2004). I bought it at 140,000 miles for about £3K. It has now done 270,000 miles and in the interim, apart from consumables, its only had a steering rack at a cost of £100 and a turbocharger hose at £26. It hasn't got significant rust. Last MOT had two advisories, centre rear brake lamp and handbrake lever (it's always been like that). At 80 to 85MPH I get about 38 MPG. It can take a pallet or a couple of bikes side-by-side. The roof-rack takes 150Kg and is handy. IT is my only vehicle, and it goes like stink while being economical which is good.

I was thinking of replacing it, should that black day come, with a Scudo 2.0 JTD MultiJet L2H1 which does 40MPG and also has (more) room for a bike or two in the back. There's a more powerful version too, but the 1.6L seems less good in all ways.

https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-reviews/fiat/scudo-2007/

These vans have a major advantage in terms of parts, used or new - parts are shared with the Chitroen and Peugeot versions.

I would be less afraid of mileage with these vans than I would be if they had very low mileage or had been "repaired".

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At SJA we run a mixed fleet of Renault Masters (from X reg to current), Fiat Ducatos (in the last few years) and Peugeot Boxers (again, last few years).

Everyone says the Renaults are "French shit", however, we still have them on the road. Showing their age now with the odd scratch and dent, but physically they seem fine. They are driven hard on blues & twos, with a "drive it like you stole it" attitude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Just looked it up, they’ve somehow wrung 128bhp out of that, so it probably wouldn’t be too bad, that’s about what I’m used to seeing out of a 1.8 naturally aspirated engine.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
J4mes wrote:

I built that.

Then you should be proud of yourself!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercedes-Benz must have improved their corrosion resistance since the early (fast van) sprinter days? Otherwise they'd sell none, or perhaps they don't need to make any money out of the van division to survive?

I'm not so sure new vans are as well built as 90's-2000's ones, especially the European vans? And Ford did used to have a good solid reputation for quality reliable vans, but I've heard that the newest generations are blighting that image considerably.

The art to me of vans, is get an old but clean tidy or lightly used one that's got a solid body, and then pay to have it professionally rust proofed. The body always goes first unless you buy an unreliable modern electronically controlled TDI that's not really well maintained and looked after.

Any van I wanted to last for years, especially if it was for private use and not an everyday vehicle, well I'd be washing it down regularly, and changing oils and filters about twice the recommended service interval.

A good old simple mechanical diesel engine will be perfect too in any post apocalyptic environment.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:53 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am driving an old style Merc Vito 108D it is a '97 model, I bought it new 21 years ago, yes it is now rusting a bit but has given good service

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz must have improved their corrosion resistance since the early (fast van) sprinter days? Otherwise they'd sell none, or perhaps they don't need to make any money out of the van division to survive?

I'm not so sure new vans are as well built as 90's-2000's ones, especially the European vans? And Ford did used to have a good solid reputation for quality reliable vans, but I've heard that the newest generations are blighting that image considerably.

The new ones (built in Turkey?) are meant to be shit but I can't say the (old gen') Transits we had at work were particularly good. 30-40k most of them and they always had something going wrong, and there were a number of engine failures towards the end. They were used and abused though.

Random question, why is it every Merc' sprinter van you see seems to have Christmas lights in the rear light cluster? Normally it's brake light + solid indicator when they're slowing down, and a reversing light for good measure when pulling away.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably pick up a 2.2 Transit on a 13 plate, the 140 model. That goes well, averages low 30's when I'm driving, more when the other lads do it, but I don't hang about Laughing it's the LWB hi-top we have too.

If I'm still at our place when we come to sell ours, think I'd probably consider offering them cash for it, low mileage and well looked after.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/ford/transit/2006-review/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was the fleet at work (2013 2.2L), I think they were the 95 model although they had no badges on (which suggests poverty spec). Great to drive except for the heavy clutch, they genuinely handle better than most cars, would not want to own to one though.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landrover 101 Laughing

not very economical to run though

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Landrover 101 Laughing

not very economical to run though

My fave vehicle of all time. Rubbish mpg as you say and still too damned heavy to get good mpg with a diesel engine.
Just part it up and admire the looks!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
Then you should be proud of yourself!

Well technically I may not have built it per sa, more ensured that it left the factory without dents and bumps.

I noticed that the Bedford Midi doesn't get a mention here, another van I worked on btw.
Hardly surprising however, since I remember them starting to corrode before they'd actually left the plant.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that Sprinters rust to bits but Vitos don't???

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed with my son who's a mechanic - French vans get the thumbs up from him. Just the usual bits such as brakes wear down, springs might break etc. He also rates the FIAT vans too.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Confirmed with my son who's a mechanic - French vans get the thumbs up from him. Just the usual bits such as brakes wear down, springs might break etc. He also rates the FIAT vans too.

My FIAT Scudo is exactly the same as the Citeroen and Peugeot versions (Dispatch, Expert) bar the badges. That's good. I can get parts almost anywhere, new or used, and for some reason FIAT vehicles/parts are generally cheaper than the others. Exactly the same. "Go figure", as the USAians are apparently fond of saying.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a l2h1 or l2h2 scudo for me then.

Quite a lot of them seem to be high milers though. In no rush, I'll wait for the right one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2