Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do indicators need to flash?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:17 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Do indicators need to flash? Reply with quote

Flasher relay just gave out a few days ago and ive managed to bypass it so the indicators just stay lit when i turn them on while i wait for a new relay to arrive in the next few days. Ive not ridden the bike since but would it actually be safe to ride with it set up like this or would it be better to just use arm signals or not ride at all?
Thanks very much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:29 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe? Yes. Legal? No.

I would use hand signals.

I have no flashers fitted to my 350 bullet (I should do but I rely on police ignorance) but I wonder if seeing a bike with flashers fitted using hand signals would be an excuse for a tug.

If you get satopped by the police, you are comitting a construction and use offence UNLESS it is an offroad bike with only one seat.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:31 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Safe? Yes. Legal? No.

I would use hand signals.

I have no flashers fitted to my 350 bullet (I should do but I rely on police ignorance) but I wonder if seeing a bike with flashers fitted using hand signals would be an excuse for a tug.

If you get satopped by the police, you are comitting a construction and use offence UNLESS it is an offroad bike with only one seat.

Ok, i would only be using for quick necessary journeys anyway. Thanks very much for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you used your solid indicators but also did the universal left your indicators on hand signal? Smile

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch on and off twice every second??

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:49 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What if you used your solid indicators but also did the universal left your indicators on hand signal? Smile
Haha, could do!

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got rear indicators but used hand signals for about 2 months now (because the front aren't on and the fuse occasionally blows if I use the back without the front connected).

Haven't been tugged although I haven't seen any police, possibly due to having no mirrors and having earphones in all the time. I likely wouldn't hear the police if they were right behind me and beeping the horn at the same time, I make sure to look for the blue reflection of other objects though so I got out the way of an ambulance the other week.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My American import Goldwings had the indicators on 'dim' while running. I can't ever remember a car thinking I was turning.

I wouldn't trust any driver to take a blind bit of notice if they aren't flashing.

Hand signals Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I can't ever remember a car thinking I was turning.

Sounds pretty normal Smile Very occasionally indicators will help you get into a different lane, although drivers are just as likely to see it and accelerate to close the gap Rolling Eyes

Just out of curiosity how do you hand signal when you're turning right on a mini roundabout? Black power salute?

https://www.buzzle.com/images/hand-gestures/riding-hand-signals/right-turn.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:57 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Just out of curiosity how do you hand signal when you're turning right on a mini roundabout? Black power salute?

https://www.buzzle.com/images/hand-gestures/riding-hand-signals/right-turn.jpg

You stick out your right hand. Once at the point where you'd normally do your rearward obs and put the flasher on and once as you are about to move away from or cross the roundabout threshold, just before your final lifesaver.

Of course, if it isn't going to provide other road users with useful information (like if there is noone waiting to join the roundabout), then don't bother, same as with flashers. if you think an extra one will help understanding at any point, throw it on in there.

If you can't cope with the slight deceleration or absence of braking caused by momentarily removing your right hand from the bars, you probably aren't planning far enough ahead. The only time I find RHS hand signals an issue is when changing up a lane on the motorway. That said, if someone needs to change what they are doing on the basis of that signal (which I generally ommit) then my obs weren't good enough.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You stick out your right hand. Once at the point where you'd normally do your rearward obs and put the flasher on and once as you are about to move away from or cross the roundabout threshold, just before your final lifesaver.

Of course, if it isn't going to provide other road users with useful information (like if there is noone waiting to join the roundabout), then don't bother, same as with flashers. if you think an extra one will help understanding at any point, throw it on in there.

If you can't cope with the slight deceleration or absence of braking caused by momentarily removing your right hand from the bars, you probably aren't planning far enough ahead. The only time I find RHS hand signals an issue is when changing up a lane on the motorway. That said, if someone needs to change what they are doing on the basis of that signal (which I generally ommit) then my obs weren't good enough.

Imagine the yellow car's coming from the top exit turning right, despite red car having full view of my indicators, yellow cars position in that picture is about the time I've normally started braking as I'm not sure if Mr Car has seen me and/or plans to stop.

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mini-roundabout.jpg

You'd either be doing a hand signal and still moving into their path, or not doing a hand signal in which case they'll likely enter the roundabout if they haven't worked out which way you're going.

I appreciate the standard of driving might be better in other parts of the country.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:17 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case, stop anyway. He shouldn't be driving onto an occupied mini roundabout anyway so if you're worried he's going to go, stop.

Or be more assertive with your road positioning.

It strikes me, if he's there, he'd have been in a position to see your signal as you crossed the threshold onto the roundabout. I've never seen a mini roundabout an anything but a 30 limit. So he will either pull out, or he wont, hand or light signal notwithstanding.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It strikes me, if he's there, he'd have been in a position to see your signal as you crossed the threshold onto the roundabout. I've never seen a mini roundabout an anything but a 30 limit. So he will either pull out, or he wont, hand or light signal notwithstanding.

In my experience especially if the mini roundabout isn't just painted on (does that make it a proper roundabout? Smile) they tend to see signals pretty late. It's the same when cycling, if you don't use a hand signal that late (yellow car position), you're likely going to get run over or have to take avoiding action. It's a similar scenario on a bicycle as obviously you'll only have control over your rear and not front brake, but you have a bit more control of your speed with the pedals.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1