Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

advice to pass on to a neighbour

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: advice to pass on to a neighbour Reply with quote

she did her cbt 18 months back on an auto 50cc

bought a Chinese gilera dna copy but was scrap so never rode it

got up the duff and stopped riding

now she is back at work having not ridden since the cbt and bought herself a 125cc bike

ive had to follow her a few times in the car as she is nervous

sorted battery on bike for her as old one didn't work and everytime she stalled all the lights went out

problem is she only rides at night as has a 8pm-4am shift
obviously she is still stalling a lot as has no idea how to ride a geared bike and I think she has started to flatten the new battery

personally I think she should retake a cbt on a geared bike just to get that extra practice as she will need to do one in a few months anyway

any other advice I can give her to help her stop riding so badly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass plus? It'll be a bit less re-do your CBT love (although she'll need to soon) and IIRC is cheaper. I think some places also offer a geared bike conversion lesson or whatever they call it.

The only other idea I can think of is taking her to a (empty) car park and practicing until she gets it.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:10 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mr MC said.

rs700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:28 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture or it never happened

Shocked

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah jpg. or gtfo..

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Pass plus?

Sorry I meant CBT plus Embarassed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:12 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just pay for some lessons from a local instructor. You can still do this right?

Then she's getting lessons in the things SHE needs them in instead of shoe-horning her into a fixed syllabus.

Or chop in the 125 she has for a Hoda innova/wave

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:10 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

She has only a couple of months before her current CBT exp[ires ans she has to repeat 'any-way'.. so she may as well book it early and try get a little learning and re-learning from it and take it from there.

CBT is Compulsory BASIC training, and what you get for it, a DL196, is a learners permit, NOT a licence, to go piddle about as though a qualified competent rider.

The tests, themselves aren't actually all that onerous; especially for a 125 'only' A1 licence you can self book and take on your own 125 on L-Plates. Its even less demanding if that 125 is a twist and go, and you accept the 'auto-only' restriction on the licence you get for it.

And either way, the tests are the 'same' tests, whether testing for an A1 125-only licence, an A2 'restricted' big-bike licence, or the full fat, ride what you like, unrestricted 'A'. Difference is merely how big the bike you have to take tests on, and even there, its made a little bit of a mockery with the minimum power & weight of an A2 eligible bike, not being that far off that for a full-fat RWYL 'A', and schools so commonly putting in candidates for test under either set of regs, just with an ignition power limiter on the bike for A2 tests!

That little nugget offered and parked..... the licence..... best way I know for a new rider to gain confidence.... that ticket to ride does more than almost anything else..... and sounds like that's what she needs.

As said, tests are the same, and not all that onerouse, and the rules is just tied up in some over complicated red tape and more than a little prejudice towards spending big money to be allowed to ride big-bikes....

B-U-T.... the tests.... you have to do the Theory/Hazard perception, which is a bit of a lottery, but you aught to read the highway code before you take to the roads, they used to send you a copy when you applied for your first provisional, so you could learn what street signs and stuff mean, and to stop at solid white lines across a junction, sort of thing. It shouldn't be TOO difficult to read up, a little, take and pass that test.... Haz-Pep? [shrug] might be a little more vexatious; its a computer game, and as far as I can tell bears only tentative relation to reality, and it actually favours young and new road users, who aren't conditioned to deal with real world 'hazards' and either click like crazy, often far to early in the vid-clips to count.... or just think, "err,,,, yeah, where was 'the' hazard? That's just, like NORMAL?!?" However... its a few quid and a few minutes to do, and not 'so' hard to pass.

On to Mod 1... its CBT cone excersizes, on a tennis court, no one else around, and an examiner to tell you, step by step what they want to see you do..... starting with a little very basic man-handling wheeling bike in and out of pretend parking spaces. Ultimate excerise is the dreaded speed loop and swerve and stop... which again, now they have lowered the radar speed trap targets, which were a little difficult for a 125, falling just twixt gears, but begging a little confidence and deturmination to be shown nailing it a bit out the loop, is again, no really big deal.

Mod 2... on the road... its's half an hour with a person with a clipboard for a personality following you ride a simulated cross town commute..... during which you are expected to show some confidence and gumption, and neither break an major motoring laws, like speeding, or crash, whilst you are about it.

If you are trying to cheap out CBTing to get to and from work on a regular basis..... its actually pretty daft NOT to take tests..... its exactly what you are planning to do anyway..... and you only have to do it once (if you pass), and full suite of tests are at last check aprox £120, about teh price of a repeat CBT to carry on, pretending to be a Learner, not ACTUALLY getting the rubber stamp, and confidence that comes with it, of man in big hat "ee-say-yay"

So NOT doing doesn't really save you any time, nor money in the long run, and you never get that confidence boost from tearing up the L-Plates.

Girl need confidence, that be where I suggest you advice she start... A-N-D the associated is... if she DONT have the confidence she can take and pass tests..... then really THAT admission or excuse is a cop out to fessing up to do them.... and in itself aught to be a VERY big suggestion that daily commuting on L-s PROBABLY aint such a great idea..... IF you are safe enough to commute ebery day, you damn well aight be good enough to pass tests... if you aint good enough to pass tests, what the heck do you think your doing trying to dodge them getting to and from work every day on the thing?

The tests, aren't all that hard, nor, and particularly for A1-125 only licence are they particularly exp[ensive... IF you can afford ANY 125, there is no good reason to ride the thing on L-s. Take tests, get a licence and ride it without A-N-D long term likely save money along the way. Tests is NOT just for 'big-bikes'

THAT is my top advice..... and as far as offering confidence best advice I can offer.... and oft have, and take it or leave it, I do NOT try and 'give L-Platers tips or advice to help them dodge tests... you are so often NOT doing them any favours, just making yourelf the villain of the peace and culpable for any ill that subsequently befalls them....

Go do CBT, go get tests booked... here's a copy of the Theory/Haz practice discs, here's a copy of the highway code, go read come back when you have passed something.... THEN we take it from there..... If they cant do that.... you are often making a rod for your own back even trying to 'help'... if they get enthused and the A1 licence and tests are poo-poohed ';cos they want a full-fat big-bike licence, for their money.... then that's another problem.....

But... unrtil 19Y/O and A2 eligible A1 is alll they are allowed any-way; and its still a stepping stone to the A2 and that to the RWYL 'A'....

But either eay, the full licence is where they will get the confidence and the clean bill of riding health, and should sort them out... or trying show them what needs sorting out.... anything else is pigging in the wind, probably NOT helping, and likely making yourself the villain of the peace even trying to help.

Horses and water.... IF they want to ride a motorbike, enough, then they actually shouldn't need much help. If they do, the help you are likely conned into giving probably wont. So... go get a licence... show willing, take the right steps in the right direction to sort yourself out, and maybe along the way a few bits of help might be useful and actually 'help'... if not, sorry, but your ass Kimo-Sabbi.... and falling off hurts... dont come crying if you do...

Remember CBT is the first lesson, NOT a licence, and IF you are competent and confident enough to tackle the daily commute, absolutely no reason you cant do it just once, on test, to get the licence that SAYS you have the competence and confidence and dont need no help..... so if you plan commuting on L's and CBT.... you should be able to take and pass tests... if not, you shouldn't be on the road... go re-think the plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
wall of text .. tldr..

well look what the cbt dragged in Rolling Eyes

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
wall of text .. tldr..

well look what the cbt dragged in Rolling Eyes

and none of it relevant to anything I asked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think he still has happywank over the time he was allowed to hold a clipboard while watching a CBT? I mean, when he's not posting shite about lessons or ancient Honda parallel twins on the internet?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:39 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its as relevant to the question as you want it to be.

Girl is riding to and from on geared 125 on L's.... Same girl lacks confidence, and bike has battery problem.

Battery problem suggests to me she is probably doing common newbie thing of short shifting, over using the gears and basically not ragging the thing to give genny chance to charge battery.....

But fundamental here is she lacks confidence, and how to boost that was your question....

Short answer is essential that's NOT your problem.

Law may allow a learner without experienbce or qualification to wobble out on the roads on CBT and L's, don't mean its a great idea.

Meanwhile... what do you hope to achieve?

Lets say you give her some magic pill, and she suddenly gains all the confidence to go thrash the thing, not wobble and be determined and decisive, and ride how 'you' would like to see her ride..... Are YOU prepared for when she comes back bloody, for the "But you TOWD ME!!! YOUR to BLAME!!!!" recriminations for having given her the idea that got her into trouble?

Taking and passing tests, is the fastest way I know to 'give' a new rider confidence.

Process of getting to test standard, should also correct probable rider errors and instil 'some' of the thinking needed, and all of them, not just clone your riding, complete with likely errors for the newbie to perpetuate. Meanwhile it shifts that possible 'blame' and recrimination, if there is any, squarely, via the independent examiner, back onto the rider.

YOU do not need to be involved.... and if you get yourself involved, are you really the best person to try doing the job of schools and DSA for them... and are you doing ANY-ONE any real favours along the way even trying?

L is for Learner, not test dodger.

If good enough to ride every day, as if passed test, no reason you cant pass test.

If not up to tests... then very good reason for pause to ponder WHY, and whether trying to exploit L-Plate rules to use public road 'as if' tests had been passed is the best idea one could have....

Back to your original question, "Any Advice I can give her to stop her riding so badly"

Go get a licence and dont try and run before you can walk!

CBT isn't a test, the DL196 a licence.....

This is why we have a Driver-Standards-Agency to check that drivers sort of show the appropriate standard... or licences would be given or withed on the recommendation of concerned friends and neighbours!!!! And we wouldn't need to employ however many extra civil servants to do the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What we 'seem to have here is a girl that cant ride very well, and concerned friend, a bit scared for her, trying to indulge her in whatever fantasy of 'not' stepping up to the mark and finding the 'easy' route, for her..... and I suspect as much to put your mind at ease as anything else.... but hey, if it makes you feel better, carry on.... but its delusion you are perpetuating, on her part, and yours that it's 'Oh-Kay' to wally about on L-s pretending to be a learner 'cos.... she's only a girl; its onlee a one-two-five; its only to get to work in the morning; or whatever; its NOT like she's trying to ride a BIG bike... is it?!?

Back up, look at the problem from the beginning.... and what erroneous ideas need to be dispelled here? And these notions that CBT is a test and a DL196 some sort of licence IS right at the root....

Fact that she took CBT on a twist and go 50, and has never had to learn to manage gears or anything faster than a half-it kid on a push-bike, compounds that, but still.

Before trying to fix it, work out what the actual problem is... and if you aren't able to fix the 'problem'; because you don't make the rules, be prepared to walk away, and not make yourself an added part of the problem, or being down possible recriminations on yourself, just cos you have a crash hat in your hallway!

Which begs the question, who REALLY needs the advice here? You or the wobbly bottom girl making the bikin' world go round?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
stuff

Aaaaand he did it again Shocked

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Which begs the question, who REALLY needs the advice here?

you .. get a life .. Thumbs Up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practise practise practise and tell her not be afraid to rev it when taking off.
Stalling can easily knock a new riders confidence, esp in busy traffic

Had guy here assumed he could pull away on tick over like his deisel van, it took him a while to understand its ok to rev the thing and it would not ' leap into the air as long as he used clutch control

When we got him used to using plenty throttle and clutch control to
pull away, he got less stressed and more confident.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Practise practise practise and tell her not be afraid to rev it when taking off.
Stalling can easily knock a new riders confidence, esp in busy traffic

Had guy here assumed he could pull away on tick over like his deisel van, it took him a while to understand its ok to rev the thing and it would not ' leap into the air as long as he used clutch control

When we got him used to using plenty throttle and clutch control to
pull away, he got less stressed and more confident.

Just not too much... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v98w46f7DWY Smile

Not using enough revs is a fairly common noob thing, in car drivers as well. It's probably better to stall than I dunno, crash into the back of a private ambulance Razz

P.S. do you think he 'passed'?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!
You need a few of those sphincter clenching fuck ups to motivate
you to get the old throttle/clutch business right

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the feeling Tef doesn't like the idea of the CBT.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

well she has now dropped it twice

once at a atand still trying to put the stand down

stand has no lug so has yo be done by hand and main stand has been taken off by the previous owner

and once on way to work last night

came to a stop when a car pulled out and broke top box and side panel off and front indicator cover

this is the other problem is she cant get out in daylight to practice as has two little uns so cant leave them in the house

I've told her to retake a cbt now so hopefully she will consider it when she gets paid
I've also told her I'm not willing to do any more work on the bike until she has

#and unfortunately no I don't have pics of her as im not in the habit of taken photos of my neighbours as that's a bit pervy Very Happy

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could offer to babysit so she can do daylight practice?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
You could offer to babysit so she can do daylight practice?

I have enough problems looking after my own kid Laughing

im a grumpy fucker and don't like kids

they don't seem to mind me though Twisted Evil

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

#and unfortunately no I don't have pics of her as im not in the habit of taken photos of my neighbours as that's a bit pervy Very Happy

You sure you're on the right forum? Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only need a name Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1