Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Monimoto bike tracker, anyone?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Monimoto bike tracker, anyone? Reply with quote

Anybody using a Monimoto bike tracker? (I see that gbrand42 bought one back in May, but see no other comments about it on BCF.) It also had quite a good review on Bennets.

Looks an attractive option to me as it doesn't require a megabucks year-on-year subscription. Would be interested in any user feedback.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has one and says it works as expected.

It seems like a good option for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money or pay yearly subs.

One thing people should be aware of though, and this is just from what I've read and heard from other people, is that units like Biketrac utilise multiple methods of tracking such as GPS, GSM and RFID, whereas the Monimoto uses only GSM and GPS.

If you're bike goes missing you can go looking for it and hopefully it will be parked somewhere but still publicly accessible and you'll get it back.

If your bike goes missing and you track it to an estate for example, the GPS will only give you a reading accurate to within 5 metres. If this is a row of garages for example you won't be able to tell which one the bike is in. And from my understanding the police either can't or won't help you find it in this situation.

The reason they assist the teams with units like Biketrac is because of the RFID tracking, which can be precisely pinpointed to an exact location which is guaranteed.

It means if this happens you'll be left to deal with the situation yourself.

Basically it's better than nothing, but not as good as a subscription unit.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contemplated getting one and switching it between bikes that I ride. I do have BikeTrac and whilst it is expensive they did get my bike back to me when it was stolen last summer.

As already mentioned they do have some drawbacks in terms of locating a bike, if it gets shoved in a van/garage/shipping container then you are potentially screwed with recovering it. However instant text messages and geofencing are exactly the same as BikeTrac.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1