Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Racetech cartridge emulators

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:55 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Racetech cartridge emulators Reply with quote

Has anyone used racetech cartridge emulators in a set of damper rod forks?

I'm considering a pair for my Guzzi V9. The stock forks are very basic. The decision for me is between the racetech emulators which appear to cost about £150-200, or some far more expensive bit somewhat similar jobbies that cost about £500.

I'm looking to improve its behaviour around town. Low speeds, very poor surfaces, the forks just aren't keeping up with the road.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:31 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Racetech cartridge emulators Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I'm looking to improve its behaviour around town. Low speeds, very poor surfaces, the forks just aren't keeping up with the road.

I had a set in my 350 powervalve. They were good. You have to drill the damper rods to fit them which then means it's impossible to go back unless you like to buy spares.

They made the bike feel more modern. It went from having crap forks to having acceptable forks. They weren't great by any means, just OK.

Lots of bikes have available mods to take existing cartridge fork internals, and that's a better and cheaper option than racetech if you find the right ones... I doubt the Guzzi is the kind of bike where a common mod is readily available though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:42 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put them in my TRX, they took the forks from utter crap to being better than the shock at the back - very happy.

I also put them in the forks for my CB250 which seemed to make very little difference, I think they work better in a heavier bike which may be why MarJay didn't get a whole lot of benefit with an RD.

Also don't get Racetech valves, get YSS PD valves instead - exactly the same but a good bit cheaper in this country.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:40 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of googling suggests you are right, and I found your blog showing how it was done on a TRX. I'll go for some YSS valves. Have emailed wemoto to see if they know what size to go for.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find someone who can mod the damper rods I’ll be fitting them to my YR5 as I’m getting to the point where I can ride it hard enough to invoke front end patter. Cartridge forks are up there with 17” wheels, aluminium frames and radial tyres as the biggest step forward in how bikes handle IMHO.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:24 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are dealing with standard non-adjustable damper rod forks then any numpty (even myself!) can drill the extra holes needed to stop the rod from doing any damping. A small pillar drill and a couple of V blocks is all that's required, it's hardly precision engineering. I would say it's more difficult to lop some length off the spacers for the springs and leave the end flat.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:
If you are dealing with standard non-adjustable damper rod forks then any numpty (even myself!) can drill the extra holes needed to stop the rod from doing any damping. A small pillar drill and a couple of V blocks is all that's required, it's hardly precision engineering. I would say it's more difficult to lop some length off the spacers for the springs and leave the end flat.

Problem I have is you need to braze the existing holes up and machine the tube flush before drilling new, smaller holes.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:31 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate on that? It looks like the whole point of drilling more, larger holes in the damper rod is to take it out of the picture as far as doing any damping goes, so the emulator does all of the damping work instead.

Can't see why you would need to drill smaller holes.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emulators have an effect on compression but less on rebound. The brazing up holes is usually the small rebound holes to slow rebound as the emulators won't do that much. They do control compression, so you are making the compression holes in the damper rods bigger, so that they no longer do anything, handing over control to the emulators instead.

They're usually of most benefit (alongside the right rate springs for your weight) if you're having problems with fork dive when braking.

Rebound needs to be sorted by finding the right weight of oil and possibly welding up the small rebound holes in the damper rods. All work finding the right oil weight for this etc should be done before setting the valves as the oil weight will affect compression via the valves too.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's an option here - but on an SV650 an alternative to buying emulators is to rebuild the standard lowers onto another bikes stanchions, (41mm showas, so CBR f3, zx6r, vtr, vfr750) that way getting proper cartridge forks.

Unfamiliar with what's on the guzzi though.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:44 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Problem I have is you need to braze the existing holes up and machine the tube flush before drilling new, smaller holes.

That wasn't part of the process on my YPVS...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:24 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 is being a little obtuse, perhaps considering this some kind of test, but some googling shows that his damper rods are right proper weird like. This the the top:
https://www.bikersassociationofnorthdevon.co.uk/images/YR591
And the whole assembly:
https://www.bikersassociationofnorthdevon.co.uk/images/YR5101
I wouldn't bother if it was like that. Can't a later front end be slapped on instead? Or, y'know, just leave it alone?

Also you set the rebound through choice of oil, thicker oil means slower rebound. Racetech love to suggest that the emulators are not affected by oil thickness but of course they are.. On a road bike this is fine though as you want a plush, springy ride anyway so 10w oil is fine.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted RaceTech emulators to my FZR-R back in the early 1980s as the front end was not easily tuneable after fitting an Ohlins shock absorber.I had attempted to find a way of modifying the forks by fitting some Progressive Suspension fork springs,but they were not what I was looking for.So,together with some straight rate Ohlins fork springs,the Emulators were easy to fit and to tune.There was no need to modify the size of the rebound hole as the installation instructions specified that this was set by the selection of weight of fork oil.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20160901_171152_zpsju7vnp7a.jpg~original

More recently I rebuilt the forks with new stanchions and used 12.5w oil instead of 10 or 15 by mixing a bottle of each and reduced the air-gap by 10mm to see how the front would behave.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20160906_192026_zpsg7qypztn.jpg~original

Now the fork is held much higher in the stroke and I have lowered the forks by 10mm in the yokes.The preload adjusters have been backed off a few turns,which on the FZR-R is possible due to a modification I did years ago so that I can adjust while on the move.

Always have a 'Plan B'

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welded the rebound holes on my SV650 so that I don't have to go for much heavier weight oil to control rebound. A lot of SV owners go for 15wt and heavier to try and sort the forks out. Currently using 10wt and feels so much better with K Tech linear springs specced for my weight than it did with old lightweight Suzuki spec oil and light progressive springs.

Lighter weight oils are less affected by temperature so more consisitent with how they perform winter to summer and also from bike cold to being out for an hour or so.

Also means that when / if I fit emulators they have a wide raneg of adjustability / control over the compression instead of the heavier oil affecting the compression so much.

All depends on what bike you're trying to sort out, but the SV650 definitely benefits from rebound holes being welded. They're tiny little holes but make a big difference.

Already very pleased with the improvements even before emulators. Just got it all set up to find an oil weight I'm happy with and then might fit emulators and work out their settings from there.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 24 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:
GT200Fan79 is being a little obtuse, perhaps considering this some kind of test, but some googling shows that his damper rods are right proper weird like. This the the top:
https://www.bikersassociationofnorthdevon.co.uk/images/YR591
And the whole assembly:
https://www.bikersassociationofnorthdevon.co.uk/images/YR5101
I wouldn't bother if it was like that. Can't a later front end be slapped on instead? Or, y'know, just leave it alone?

Why would it be a test, i'm just stating my forks require more engineering than others. Rolling Eyes

I don't want to change the appearance of the bike or end up saddled with a disc brake, i could stick an R6 front end on for 300 quid but if i'm going down that route i should of bought a TZ in the first place. Also the vast increase in horsepower and ground clearance plus my rapidly increasing riding skills mean suspension will become an issue sooner rather than later.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:12 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the YSS PD valves over the weekend. They work. Forks are much better than before.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1