Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Halfords tool box. Any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Halfords tool box. Any good? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Gonna need to buy a new tool box.
It's actually to put in the kitchen (yes really) to save me going out into the cold to go to the shed to get just to get a 10mm spanner or something like a 1/4 ratchet.
Seen this one on the halfords website with free delivery.
Looks like it will do the job & fit in the space I currently have 3 or 4 plastic tool boxes.

Any opinions?
Any ways I can get it cheaper, even though it seems reasonable enough for what it is.

Or any other suggestions?

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=255214&productId=1328117&storeId=10001

EDIT : spotted this one on amazon, fair bit cheaper & not much difference in storage room from what I can see?
What would you go for?

RED Mechanic Tool Chest Box Cabinet Lockable Garage Storage ROLL CAB Wheels https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HHF98Q3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-KhkCb6TV5EMR

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a basic Halfords one. It's fine. More expensive ones get you more ball bearing sliders on the drawers and thicker material to withstand more being knocked about in a workshop. Not totally necessary for light use in a less hectic / non-mechanical environment.

Shop I worked at had one too and it suffered after years of use and bashing to the point where the drawers were difficult to open from dents etc, but that was from heavy use in a professional environment.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This is only for use in the house, so shouldn't get battered about too much.
85 quid delivered sounds ok to me.
I think the 1 on Amazon doesn't have quiet as much storage, but I'll need to take another look.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Kitchen-Dresser/132902032392?hash=item1ef1941408:g:-1IAAOSwIAJcHTlS:rk:6:pf:0

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this one today for £130. Think the store I bought it from had priced it wrong as the store outside my work had it at the higher price.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&categoryId=255214&langId=-1&productId=1000781&storeId=10001

Decent for the money. Definitely think the extra depth is worth it over the cheaper one. Drawers run nice and smooth and it's good enough for DIY purposes. A bit fragile for a busy workshop perhaps but it'll serve my needs nicely.

Edit: still priced at 130 on ebayhttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323591606987

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about it but looking at the above eBay link there's a similar one to that for a fraction of the price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halfords-DIY-Storage-Store-Garage-Workshop-Chest-Cabinet-8-Drawer-Tool-Centre/201942153535?hash=item2f04b0b93f:g:Ar8AAOSw83dbjo8I:rk:33:pf:0

Just a suggestion, might be garbage.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I don't know much about it but looking at the above eBay link there's a similar one to that for a fraction of the price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halfords-DIY-Storage-Store-Garage-Workshop-Chest-Cabinet-8-Drawer-Tool-Centre/201942153535?hash=item2f04b0b93f:g:Ar8AAOSw83dbjo8I:rk:33:pf:0

Just a suggestion, might be garbage.

Hi,
Think that's the same one as I 1st suggested.
Certainly looks like it Wink
I'm not paying more than a ton, for a tool box for the house, different if it was for the shed or garage but it's just to save me going out into the cold & dark for a 12mm socket or something similar & 85 quid sounds not bad & it looks more than big enough.

Cheers,
GAZ

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ctb5c-5-drawer-combination-tool-chest-/

That would be my choice over halfrauds,

Although in your shoes I may be tempted to wait and get this instead, they often have vat free offers, whole different league, and could add a top bit later, with the cheaper ones (I had the £85 quid one in the past) no rubber matts, fiddly locking system, and made out of tinfoil, the drawers were so stiff to open you would pull the cabinet out instead, as castors are plastic and don't lock, so they slide on a kitchen floor, we had ours in the utility room.

This one below could be added that later, or taken into garage if you decide it's not for the kitchen, it's a whole lot better made too on a

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/ctc500-tool-cabinet

I waited on a Vat free day and ordered this below with it's tobox, it's fantastic, beautiful sliding drawers and holds a huge amount of stuff, the Clarke stuff is superb, if you are in Stirling jump up to Dundee and visit their store, they have loads on display The HD stuff is worth the extra imho

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cbb230b-56-wide-13-drawer-tool-cabinet/

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ctb5c-5-drawer-combination-tool-chest-/

That would be my choice over halfrauds,

Although in your shoes I may be tempted to wait and get this instead, they often have vat free offers, whole different league, and could add a top bit later, with the cheaper ones (I had the £85 quid one in the past) no rubber matts, fiddly locking system, and made out of tinfoil, the drawers were so stiff to open you would pull the cabinet out instead, as castors are plastic and don't lock, so they slide on a kitchen floor, we had ours in the utility room.

This one below could be added that later, or taken into garage if you decide it's not for the kitchen, it's a whole lot better made too on a

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/ctc500-tool-cabinet

I waited on a Vat free day and ordered this below with it's tobox, it's fantastic, beautiful sliding drawers and holds a huge amount of stuff, the Clarke stuff is superb, if you are in Stirling jump up to Dundee and visit their store, they have loads on display The HD stuff is worth the extra imho

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cbb230b-56-wide-13-drawer-tool-cabinet/

Hi,
That 1st one looks a good bet.....
The halfrauds one I can get free delivery & fit a set of lockackable castors for a fiver (Lidl or Aldi are doing them).
Its only to stick in a corner to keep all those wee tools you need BUT don't want to go outside for so it's not like it's gonna see heavy daily use.
Its mainly to get stuff out of 3 or 4 wee plastic boxes & all together, tidy, in the same place.

I DO fancy the Clarke one as they do VAT free days periodically but I'm in a hurry (& its actually a xmas prezzie) so it'll probably be the tin foil halfrauds one as I can order now & get free next day delivery.

Cheers,
GAZ

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue Halfords one I linked too is a notably bigger (deeper mostly) than the cheaper red one, hence why I chose that one instead.

Drawers run nice and smooth, not a great deal of effort required. I've taken them off and lubed the runners to be safe though it wasn't really necessary.

The metal is a bit thin in places but not too bad, still sturdy enough and it'll be fine for my purposes. Build quality is fine and for the price is perfectly adequate and I don't see me needing to replace it for a long time.

I also have one of the small red Halfords boxes, bought cheap. The drawers in that are terrible, haven't used that box in ages so I don't know if there's a difference between the red and blue.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: tools Reply with quote

you will end up getting 2, one for the wifes kitchen stuff.......unless of course she comandeers yours

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:18 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember first that 50% off is the right price, not an offer price.

They aren't amazing. They do work 'okay' for light home use, but go for "professional" or better range if you want something half decent.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
The blue Halfords one I linked too is a notably bigger (deeper mostly) than the cheaper red one, hence why I chose that one instead

Hi,
Yes, I'd rather have the blue one too, but it's double the price 😮 f*ck that
Its only for in the kitchen & occasional use.

I'll keep the better stuff for out in the garage 😉

Cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Even cheaper! Reply with quote

Hi all,
After spending about an hour on the halfrauds website trying to order the 85 quid tool box, every time I got to checkout, it kept trying to charge me £99.99 for delivery!
Even though it clearly states it's available for free delivery as it's over 40 quid.
Anyway after speaking to "chloe" the 3rd person btw (the other 2 mysteriously got cut off when I asked them awkward questions).
1st she told me it was because I was in the Scottish highlands and islands ..erm no I'm not.

I live in a FK postcode, which stands for Falkirk, 20mins from Glasgow which to my knowledge is in Central Scotland.
Then she said it was a "computer glitch " & the delivery charge should only be 40 quid!
WTF? Why?
Cos it needs 2 men to off load it from the van seemingly Rolling Eyes

No amount of arguing with "chloe" would reduce this delivery charge, so I went in a huff & called them a bunch of liars & accused them of false advertising & i would be posting it all over the internet how they penalise those who don't have access to a car.
How the f*ck you meant to get get a big tool chest on the back of a tdr125?
I'm sure I could but guaranteed to get pulled by the traffic Nazis who sit at the end of the road most days.

Not giving up, i went on ebay, ordered it from the halfrauds page with FREE delivery & got it down to £76.50 as i had a 10% discount code Cool

Pity I didn't order it the day before as I had a 15% discount code Neutral

Still, Halfrauds 0 - GAZ 1

So get it up you chloe & your silly terms & conditions, which I couldn't find anywhere btw.

Anyway, rant over.
New tool box coming in a couple of days (& the 2 van guys can carry it in themselves)

cheers,
GAZ

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:59 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh ,always check that final amount before you hit the pay button, but glad you got what you were after Wink

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:39 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Halfords tool box. Any good? Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
Hi all,
Gonna need to buy a new tool box.
It's actually to put in the kitchen (yes really) to save me going out into the cold to go to the shed to get just to get a 10mm spanner or something like a 1/4 ratchet.
Seen this one on the halfords website with free delivery.
Looks like it will do the job & fit in the space I currently have 3 or 4 plastic tool boxes.

Any opinions?
Any ways I can get it cheaper, even though it seems reasonable enough for what it is.

Or any other suggestions? Go with the Halfrauds one. Fine for what you want,by the sounds of it. Keep a good stash of beer tins in the bottom part,too.lol

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=255214&productId=1328117&storeId=10001

EDIT : spotted this one on amazon, fair bit cheaper & not much difference in storage room from what I can see?
What would you go for?

RED Mechanic Tool Chest Box Cabinet Lockable Garage Storage ROLL CAB Wheels https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HHF98Q3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-KhkCb6TV5EMR

cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Halfrauds tool chest arrived today (a day early, just as well someone was in ae?)
So much for 2 man delivery. Bolllocks! 1 polish guy, smaller than me & I'm not exactly Mr universe.
Worth the 70 odd quid I reckon.
Wouldn't stand up to heavy use outside but it's perfect for in the house.
I'm happy anyway Thumbs Up

cheers,
GAZ

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you can fill it with some lovely Halfords Advanced tools.

I love my big set with ratchet spanners.

Bitches do indeed love a ratchet spanner.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of those Halfreuds tool chests years ago for £90,when they should have been £120.I just happened to walk into the Dartford branch while I had a few days off around Xmas time and as their MoT equipment decided to die ,they gave me a substantial discount while I fixed their machine.

It has served me well.Very good value for money and it fits in well with my other workshop equipment.

Always have a 'Plan B'

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£89 quid for the Clarke CTC500B toolbox like that is a bargain I would say. I only have Halfords tools and they're not bad. Only used for light work though.

My toolbox is big enough as it's the whole shed, I've got tools and bits scattered all over. Would give someone with OCD a nightmare.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the 200 peice socket set that Halfords advanced do for the last 4 years. Seen plenty of use and got me through two full bike rebuilds. Still good as new. Good quality stuff for the money IMO, wouldn't hesitate to buy more (but only at the 'discounted' rate).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1