Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Raspberry Pi not detecting keyboard/mouse

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Raspberry Pi not detecting keyboard/mouse Reply with quote

I decided to finally give my Pi Zero a go, I've got this USB OTG cable:

https://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/113368397226_1_1_1.jpg

Raspbian loads but my keyboard/mouse won't work. The strange thing's when I attach a USB drive to the OTG cable Raspbian detects it and wants to open it Confused

I'm guessing it's a driver issue? I've had a search but can't find a solution, I've also tried a different keyboard/mouse to no avail.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's a power issue.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I'd say it's a power issue.

I was thinking the same but then I don't understand why it detects the USB stick and not the keyboard or mouse. With my USB OTG cable you can run an additional power cable, and with the Pi Zero you seem to be able to power it with the OTG cable in the 'USB port' or with the power port using a separate cable. I've tried every combination Brick Wall

https://d2drzakx2pq6fl.cloudfront.net/production/products/12438/large/raspberry-pi-zero-w-1473883790.jpg?1509558825

The only other thing I could try is a bluetooth dongle and wireless keyboard, but then I don't have a bluetooth mouse.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd. I own a Pi3 and that thing runs with any USB device (keyboards, mice, flash drives, external SSD/HDD units, mobile phones...). Maybe your USB hub is faulty and/or not supported, but then aren't all USB devices created the same? Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the cable originally to use a USB stick with my Snes Mini, so I've not tested a keyboard/mouse with it. My only other USB OTG cable has a right angle connector so I can't use it Rolling Eyes

If I can find my old fooked Android tablet and coax it into life I can test the cable with the keyboard and mouse, I know the keyboard/mouse work (with an OTG cable) as I've used them with a tablet before.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost certainly the hub being poor quality.
Buy a better one and it will be fine, the pi zero is known to be fussy with hubs.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
It's almost certainly the hub being poor quality.
Buy a better one and it will be fine, the pi zero is known to be fussy with hubs.

I still don't get why the Pi finds the USB stick but not the keyboard/mouse. I just tested it on my tablet and with the same USB OTG cable the keyboard/mouse do work, which's confusing as my tablet doesn't find the memory stick the Pi detects.

Have you got any recommendations for a hub?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 14 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these.
Very handy for the pi zero as the ethernet port works without the need of a driver, so you can set everything up headless.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173080853080

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up I've ordered one from China, as my Pi came with the Christmas 2015 issue of The MagPi I can probably wait Smile

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear a niggle up, have you tried the dongle in the power in with the power adapter plugged into the dongle?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I plugged the USB OTG cable into the power socket (with power) it wouldn't detect anything, not even the USB stick it did detect via the 'USB' port on the Pi.

I'm guessing the 'PWR' port only provides power but the 'USB' port provides power and data?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter came, I got this message (or variations of) whilst booting, and my mouse and keyboard worked once (independently of each other) out of probably 10 boots.

Does the adapter need to be powered? It looks like there's a little (round) connector but no mention of a voltage etc..

https://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/15/13/82/47/img_2014.jpg

Any ideas?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Any ideas?

You shouldn't need to power it, no.
I would explore the possibility that the Pi is damaged.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another play with it, it does seem to be reliably giving me one USB port, I get one green light on the adapter, also when I plugged in the ethernet cable I got a red light alongside it.

Could it be a power issue? I tried powering the Pi from a mains adapter but there was no difference. Would a genuine Pi power supply help? What do you use?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Would a genuine Pi power supply help? What do you use?

I use 2A adaptors which are recommended, but you can get away with lower on the Zero. Do you get a lightning icon in the top right of the screen when you use it? This is an undervoltage warning. As long as you don't you should be fine.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lightning icon but these adapters are 0.3/0.45A. Shall I try another one?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once used a powerbank to run the Pi3 B and everything worked perfect. Well, higher CPU load resulted in the ''lightning'' icon, but still all the USBs and ethernet port worked just fine.

0.45A should work with pi-zero but sure, try a higher amperage adapter. Phone chargers tend to be between 800mA to 2A easily. Maybe your USB hub pulls way too much power through the USB port and the power supply you use just can't deliver all the Amps necessary.

Read: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/raspberry-pi-zero-power

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noob mistake I was reading the inputs Embarassed 2/2.1A output on these.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apple charger might be your issue. Apple stuff is always tricky. An Apple charger from iPhone whatever generation won't work with another generation of the same phone. So it is possible, that your Apple charger just doesn't play nice with the Pi.

EDIT: 2/2.1A should be a plenty of power, way beyond the recommended PSU specs for the Pi3 B, which is the most demanding one.

EDIT II: Or the USB controller on your Pi is just faulty.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 21:58 - 05 Jan 2019; edited 2 times in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other adapter I've got is a OnePlus (2A) so I don't think its those. The Playstation Classic won't run off a (PC) USB port but it does with the phone/iPad adapters (Sony didn't include one Rolling Eyes).

I think I'll try and install retropie as I should be ok with one USB port, assuming you can control it all with a controller.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power shouldn't be an issue, I've run them on generic power supplies and they were fine.

You could use a USB Type A to micro USB adapter and then use a brand name USB type A hub instead of a no-name Chinese one. Assuming you have a standard keyboard that should work.

I mostly use Raspberry Pi3 but only over SSH and remote desktop. I have two zeros but they are too slow for what I do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'll try and install retropie as I should be ok with one USB port, assuming you can control it all with a controller.

I got it installed but I've been having a few issues. I always seem to get controller support in the menu, but after launching a game it's hit-or-miss as to whether I can use my controller Neutral With a fairly long boot time and stuff like not being able to exit roms, apparently you need a file or something that's missing on mine, I'm ready to call this a futile experiment.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
M.C wrote:
I'll try and install retropie as I should be ok with one USB port, assuming you can control it all with a controller.

I got it installed but I've been having a few issues. I always seem to get controller support in the menu, but after launching a game it's hit-or-miss as to whether I can use my controller Neutral With a fairly long boot time and stuff like not being able to exit roms, apparently you need a file or something that's missing on mine, I'm ready to call this a futile experiment.

Pressing start and select (which you should have mapped as your hotkey) will exit roms.

Go into controller config and try again.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major issue is not having a controller half the time in game, not sure why if I'm always getting controller support in the UI.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The major issue is not having a controller half the time in game, not sure why if I'm always getting controller support in the UI.

What controller is it?
I have lots of experience with controllers in retropie and have only experienced that with those cheap clone snes pads.
You can change the mapping in retroarch, but that's a pain in the anal passage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2