Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HONDA CBR125 06: Bike only runs on choke

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

laurence231
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:52 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: HONDA CBR125 06: Bike only runs on choke Reply with quote

Hello!

(apologies if post is duplicate - posted last night but it hasn't appeared here!)

I recently bought a 2006 CBR125 a couple of weeks ago as my first bike, working but quite cheap so was expecting issues to work on as time went on. The choke cable turned out to be siezed in the carb, so I recently replaced all the slider/spring and cable (I had to buy a spare carb as it was cheaper than just buying the slider/spring from a dealer who wanted £90 for a brass slider and spring!)

My latest problem, now I have fixed this is that the bike runs great when starting (air filter replaced too btw) with the choke on, but the moment that I put the choke off, the bike cuts out (even after a long ish ride with the choke part open).

From some research online, apparently its most likely cause is that a pilot jet in the carb is blocked/clogged, and carb should be disassembled and cleaned. At the same time, as a beginner to mechanical work, carb dissasembly seems a lot of work at best, and risky too. Should I try spraying some sort of carb cleaner down fuel pipe to try and clean the inside of the carb? Something like seafoam which I see mentioned a lot? Or should I not delay the inevitable and just disassemble and clean the carb? (I have a spare carb to practise on thanks to buying another carb to fix the choke assembly).

Apparently another alternative might be some sort of air leak although I imagine this is less likely. Anyone have any advice for me at this stage as to how I should proceed?[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take the carb off your bike and replace or did you replace the parts with parts from the replacement carb, and when it idles what is the
rpm?

laurence231
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:36 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Did you take the carb off your bike and replace or did you replace the parts with parts from the replacement carb, and when it idles what is the
rpm?

I left my initial carb in place and just took off the choke case and replaced the internals to that from the other carb. Bike idled at ~2000 initially then dropped to about 1500 (guessing that the initial burst was just because I put fuel tank back on and started again for first time?)

Also the idling is interesting as it fluctuates a little bit sometimes - potential confirmation of carb blockages maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 1500rpm should be just about right at idle, but if that's with choke on as well then you should be looking at the carb, does the idle adjuster help at all ,or does it just stall with increasing

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

See cmsnl for the exploded views which can only help. A quick read of your post suggests carb needs cleaning, which means starting at the fuel filler cap.

laurence231
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:26 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Yes the 1500rpm should be just about right at idle, but if that's with choke on as well then you should be looking at the carb, does the idle adjuster help at all ,or does it just stall with increasing

That's a really good point to try adjust the screw first, idling only at 1500 with full choke seems like somethings up with it for sure with the mixture, and might not necessarily be pilot jet problems or dirty carb in general. (although both are likely.)

I think perhaps I should start by adjusting mixture and see if I can get rpm with choke to 3k then see what happens?

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idle screw will only adjust the accelerator stop, could be that its wound out too far , this is the adjuster number 5 in the picture, found on the righthand side of the carb

laurence231
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
The idle screw will only adjust the accelerator stop, could be that its wound out too far , this is the adjuster number 5 in the picture, found on the righthand side of the carb

Thanks for the help! Here's what happened when I adjusted the idle -
I can get it so that with choke cable fully opened, the bike would idle at about 2500-3000. I can then close the choke, and the bike will go down to perhaps 1300 and drop to 900 ish then cut out shortly after. I set the idle speed even higher than that, and then with choke fully opened, the bike idles at 2500, slowly rises to 3000 and then absolutely flies up to 5000 rpm, when i slammed the choke down it goes down to about 1300, and does the same as before where it slowly diminishes until it cuts out.

So whilst this is definitely the right route, there does seem to be some other issue. Any ideas on what it might be? Could a carb clean be in order? Or could it be something else?

Also -
another interesting observation - when the engine starts it sometimes idles a little higher (by about 500 rpm) more than it eventually settles down to - is this normal? In general, there is some fluctuation in idle speeds

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:01 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What condition are the carb rubbers in?

laurence231
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:13 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I haven't opened it up yet, but probably pretty terrible I imagine! with it being a learner bike with 7 previous owners, i imagine its never been looked at in detail before. Reckon the issue almost definitely the carburettor internals? It'd kind of make sense if it is a carb issue now (in my very amateur opinion)

Do you think if i prioritised some sort of external carb clean first (carb cleaner down the fuel pipe and run the bike a bit, then more carb clean and leave for a day), followed by carb disassembly if the former doesn't work, would be a logical route to take?

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurence231 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I haven't opened it up yet, but probably pretty terrible I imagine! with it being a learner bike with 7 previous owners, i imagine its never been looked at in detail before. Reckon the issue almost definitely the carburettor internals? It'd kind of make sense if it is a carb issue now (in my very amateur opinion)

Do you think if i prioritised some sort of external carb clean first (carb cleaner down the fuel pipe and run the bike a bit, then more carb clean and leave for a day), followed by carb disassembly if the former doesn't work, would be a logical route to take?

Think your going to have to bite the bullet take the carb off and clean and check jet sizes Wink

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:15 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocked idle jet , strip and clean the carb properly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:22 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurence231 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I meant between the carb wnd the engne....

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:33 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a ZZR1100 with same issues some years ago. B@st@rd bike.
Any way, have you looked at the air filter, just a thought, can have the same symptoms.
What about fuel delivery? Not aware of the workings of your particular bike, is there a fuel pump giving agro or dodgy fuel filter.
A partially blocked pilot jet can cause same issues.
Good luck.

laurence231
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:34 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions!

Re. Air filter, I put in a completely fresh one the other day. Got a new spark plug coming in the post too as thats probably never been changed.

What I did today was run Wynns carb cleaner through the fuel line and into the air intake of the carb with the engine running today, and I think I may have had some minor improvements (albeit maybe coincidental). I have also added some fuel additive to the fuel. The bike is rideable, so will see how it performs over a couple of days as the fuel additive (apparently) cleans the fuel system and change the spark plug too.

Basically, to sum up my ride I just went on and observations -

1 - With choke open, normal ignition no longer seems to do the trick. I have to hit the ignition and pull throttle for a second. Then, it idles at 2000 rising to 2500 ish.

2 - I then put the choke 90% down (the tiniest bit still open) and it idles between 900 (where it cuts out) and 1500. I observed a lot of fluctuation of idle rpm as I was riding.

3 - Choke fully 100% on will make it idle at about 800 and then it dies rapidly. Even with the idle screw adjusted further, this always seems to happen.

I will try the spark plug and see how the additive does, and see if any improvements. If not then I guess it'll be time to take the carb out and have a play around with it! Any further thoughts/ideas appreciated

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tankie suggests. Wink

laurence231
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:18 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to you all for your help!

I appear to have resolved the issue (at least for now). I replaced the spark plug with a fresh one and the new one seems to work better. I am sure the idle jet still has issues, as there is some fluctuation in idle rpm, however the bike starts and idles well and hasn't cut out yet, with the choke off Very Happy

Now the bike shouldn't be running so rich permanently, hopefully its a lot longer before this spark plug gets ruined! Will update here if any more issues arise.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1