Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding with damaged engine

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Younha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:56 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Riding with damaged engine Reply with quote

Hi there newbie here.

So I have a CBF 125 I would like to check or whether anyone knows the consequences of riding on a damaged engine for a prolonged time.

I have stupidly been riding roughy 10minutes without oil and it did seized on me on the way to the mechanics to get my oil leak checked. But now I notice a ticking noise and white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.

I fudged up the engine I assume I will need a new engine or is there any cheaper solution to go about this ie getting a piston, barrel etc

Last edited by Younha on 17:49 - 05 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing you can do is strip the topend off and see what state its in. check crank,bore/piston and cams first as thats what usually suffers most. did the motor seem to be lacking power?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:41 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the mechanic say about the engine???

Those machines are still air cooled right?

White smoke often indicates moisture ( so coolant and a dodgy head gasket would be common starting point but those tiddlers always used to be air cooled, so don't worry about that line of thought!)
Oil burns darker so I'll hazard a guess that your smoke has a blue/grey tinge?

As Bladerunner has already said, top end off. Without hearing how it's ticking, it would point to valves , sticking/ broken rings or small end bearing - assuming the sound is high up.
Big ends tend to rumble rather than tick and obviously sounds lower down so unlikely to be an issue.

Check internet for cost of a secondhand engine, I might be inclined to see if I could find a cheap one to pop in and then sort out the buggered one - so long as nothing is sticking out of places it shouldn't be then all things are mendable, just depends how much you want to spend on it. Ideally you need an experienced pair of hands to check the lower end once the top end is off, if you get the all clear on the bottom then the top will just be a case of how many new bits before it's not worth doing.

chrisjose1913
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:11 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

These engines are Air cooled You describe white smoke, how white it it? Normally white smoke is just moisture as mentalboy said. are you sure it's not a thick grey colour ? You rode the bike for 10 minutes with no oil I am afraid that's all it takes to do perm damage to an engine....

From experience several years ago. I had a CG push rod engine leak out oil on me and i rode it for around five minutes before I was aware. After putting new oil in it produced a huge amount of grey smoke.

The cause for this is down to a damaged cylinder and piston. When running on little to no oil, the cylinder and piston does not get the lucubration required. The friction and heat causes cylinder and piston scoring, the issue here with scoring oil can creep beyond the piston and into the combustion chamber and the grey smoke is the result of the burning oil.

The ticking noise is the first thing you're going to want to check this could be simply down to the tappets or it could be something allot worse. this needs to be check first because it could be the difference between a simple fix or a new engine. the first thing you should figure out is where the noise is coming from. If it's the bottom end forget it it would be better to contact a bike breakers to find a new engine. if it's the top end as I just said it could be just valve clearances and a noise that's been their for some time unnoticed. tho it could be other IE small end bearing.

As for the cylinder and piston the fix for this is pretty strait forward replace the cylinder and piston. if you're lucky the scoring on the cylinder my not be too deep and can be corrected with a hone out and new piston, Unlikely the case tho. another option get the cylinder re bored and an up sized piston if possible, this will also mean a increase in cc tho. TBH you have provided limited information IE how loud the ticking is, where the noise is coming from, and how dense the smoke it. the more information we have the better we can help you. ATM we can only really make guesses

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

How long would you last with no blood, oil is an engines blood.

Cam problems, cylinder problems, crank problems.

You have a reasonably good tool kit, have a manual and know of cmsnl for the exploded views.

You do not say what year your bike is......

cmsnl shows roller type rocker arms and ball race bearing cam bearings, so there is some hope in that respect.

Check valve working clearances then do a compression check and go from there, but ADD oil to the engine sump!!!!!!!!!!!

White smoke, especially this time of year is water vapour/steam.

Every gallon of hydrocarbon fuel ( petrol in this case ) produces a gallon of water, the vast majority of which comes out the exhaust, sometimes as actual water ( dont go drinking it ) but mostly as steam on a cold day, until the exhaust and gasses "warm up".

Oil smoke is blue for a bit, like a 2 stroke, but grey to white for lots of oil being burnt. If its that bad the plug tends to "oil up" and the engine stops.

So, research, look at cmsnl for whats inside the engine ( centrifugal oil filter also fitted ) , check and adjust if ok valve working clearances and do a compression check.

WHY did it loose all its oil?? and when was the last time you check the oil level, if ever?????

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:44 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now come across 3 CBF125s with fucked engines due to no oil. I assume they have trouble with leaking it or burning it, along with the usual problem of young/new riders not checking the oil level.

The solution is a new engine. A used engine should be under £300 on ebay, often with a short warranty, so you have some comfort that the engine isn't fucked on arrival. You could rebuild it, but parts alone would cost as much as a new engine and labour costs would easily double the price.

The good news, if you're already thinking of a new engine, is that you can ride the existing one until it fails. So put some oil in it and ride it. Either its fucked, in which cases the noises will get louder over the next 100 miles and it will run worse and worse until it stops, or it's fine. If it lasts 100 miles without getting worse, drop the oil and check the oil strainer for bits of metal. Oil strainer is under the right hand side crankcase cover.

There is no quick and cheap fix you can do now. Either serious damage has been done, or it hasn't.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:10 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Riding with damaged engine Reply with quote

Tkh wrote:
I assume I will need a new engine

Assumption is the mother of all effups.

Right here, right now you don't know very much at all... so dont guess.
Tkh wrote:
is there any cheaper solution to go about this ie getting a piston, barrel etc

Before looking for a solution, you need to know the problem.....

If the engine is completely balked... yes you'd need a new one. A new engine, from Honda, is probably as expensive as a new bike... so we start to weigh up the options of what's 'cheaper', and in that what's 'best' value for money.

Another engine, need not be brand new; a 'take-out' from another probably crashed second-hand bike, might be procured from a breakers.. but, how thrashed and trashed was that bike, before it got broken?

However; On most bikes the engine is bolted to the frame with just four or five big bolts; there's a few electrical connectors to unplug, the exhaust to take off, and the air-box/carburettor/EFi and control cables to untangle.... it's not an 'enormouse' job, to take an engine out, and put in another... a-n-d that work would probably have to be done to take out, fix and replace the original engine, anyway.

So now the question is whether it's cheaper/easier to take your engine out, and start fiddling, or just wop in a take-out, and if you got a take-out, would that be any better than what you got?

If your motor broke... taking it out, stripping it down, assessing any damage, and reconditioning it, with new parts, possibly a rebore and or replacement cylinder and piston, what you aught to end up with 'should' be almost as good as new, and a lot better, and have a lot more life in it, than something of unknown oragin and history you got at a scrap-yard. But, its likely NOT any cheaper, 'all in' especially if you are paying a mechanic to twiddle the spanners for you.

As an idea; & there's a how-2 linked in profile, I can take a Honda CB125 Super-Dream engine out of the frame; do a top end rebuild, and have it back in the frame, in a week-end. Actual hands-on spanner time, probably in the order of 20 hours, and that's with practice and all the tools I know I'll need, available and readily to hand. If I paid a mechanic to do it for me... well, local non-franchise back-street chap, charges about £30 an hour... so that would be aprox a £600 job....

And that's just the labour, remember. Price of anything in there that's broke and needed replacing would have to be added on top; so maybe £100 more if the cylinders wrecked and it needs a rebore or new barel kit; if the cam's eaten itself? Probably £30 for the cam, possibly with bearings, but good chance it will have taken out the tappets with it, possibly the rockers, and so it starts to add up. If the crank has gone? its a full rebuild to get that out, and more money still to get a new one and or get the old one reconditioned, pressed apart and new bearings fitted.

All in, this could easily be a £1000+ job... if you DIY, you save that £600 or so labour charge, IF you can do the job, and have the skills and tools to do it...... But remember, what you aught to end up with is a reconditioned, good as new engine, likely better than you had to start with.

At that sort of money, it does make the take-out option start to look atractive. You might get a take-out engine for, around £400ish... and it aught to work, so no more parts and minimal spanner twiddling required..... b-u-t... its a second hand engine, and you have little or no assurance that its in any better state than what you got, and it too could go pop next week... and you still need to take out the old one, and fit the new, which, is likely a days spanner work, that if you paid a pro for, would set you back £250+.

But, DIY it's do-able, and cash-savings mean you might salvage pretty terminally blidgered bike for less than it would cost to get another.... and it might, with a little care, like checking the oil level periodically, not go pop too soon.....

NOW.... that's worst case scenario....

Tkh wrote:
anyone knows the consequences of riding on a damaged engine for a prolonged time.

That was the starting question, and the answer is the same as how long is a piece of string! Without having a look, and probably at the oily bits inside... we cannot say!

There's more to it than that though, you say you rode it for about 10 minutes, low on oil, but dont say that it actually siezed on you... and only when you were worried, did you notice anything else, like the tiocking noise and white exhaust smoke....

Back-To-Top... assumption is the mother of all eff-ups!!!

Fact that it ran, says it wasn't terminally damaged before you rode it. It was running.

The ticking noise and white smoke, only noticed becaused you had a pang and decided to take the thing to a mechanic, DONT actually tell us much. These symptoms could, and indeeed, were likely there before you thought to look for a problem..... and they could be anything, related or not, to the engine being run low on oil.

Trying to allay some panic mechanics a little.. you mention an oil leak.... that's not good.... but....

Are you sure that the white smoke was coming from inside the engine?

White exhaust smoke, is usually steam, made from boiling water, normally sucked in from the cooling system... on a water-cooled engine..... The CBF AFAIK is air-cooled.. sort of suggests you DIDN'T see 'white' smoke..... burning oil is more blue-ish.... where could the oil have come from to be burned?

Top of the list, number one most obviouse, is that it was spilled on the echaust when the engine oil was topped up... hmmm....

Little CBT query, you are taught to check the oil, and oft asked whether you check the level with the filler cap screwed all the way in, or just rested on the top of the threads... with around 10mm of threads the difference in readings can be the difference between min and max on the dip-stick... and the CBT answer is RTFM... (or check your bludy book)!

Next, if the engine oil is over filled, oil will be vented or blow out of the sump by crank-case pressure. That oil should, on a fairly recent bike like the CBF be vented from the crank-case through a breather pipe, that ends in the air-box, so the oil gets sucked, slowly, into the engine to get burned... and you'll get a bit of blue/grey tinge to your exhaust smoke... and probably a sootly plug, but no major harm done.

There's two possible explanations of your observed symptom....

If the oil breather pipe, is old and perished, damaged or split, then excess oil could be vented, nut not to the air-box, and 'leak'.. could explain any puddles you may have spotted on the floor... but also, likely to drip onto the outside of the exhaust.. to burn off when exhaust hot, and very easily 'look' like its coming out the exxhaust pipe from the engine, much like fill-spill.

There's another.

Worth mentioning here, is that oil-loss on a bike engine can happen from two main causes.

First is that the engine's burning its own oil, which means its getting past the piston rings, indicating a bore worn beyond limits, or its getting sucked down the valve guides, indicating again, worn valve-guides, or worn/perished stem seals. Usually indicated by high oil consumption, and blue-tunged exhaust smoke, and a pretty chitty spark-plug, this does tend to suggest that the engine needs full and proper tear-down and reconditioning.

Next, is a blown gasket or seal. There's only two main seals on a motorcycle crank-case; there's one on the crank-shaft between the cranbk-case and the generator. If it goes, you tend to get the generator fill with oil, and a drip from its vent or an old gasket.

Other is the sprocket shaft seal... which is much more common, and especially common on Learner-Legals. Usually caused by over-tightening the drive chain, the side-load on the sprocket shaft sees the bearing and seal prematurely wear out, and oil from the gearbox leaks pas onto the chain and sproket, where you expect there to be oil, so oft goes unnoticed, unless its leaking a lot, and or dripping on the exhaust.

Other possibilities are any of the engine gaskets, holding oil. The primary drive case has one, the two crank case halves have another, and if either has gone, oil will tend to drip beneath the bike. Cylinder has a gasket beneath it, but of that has gone, oil will tend to seep out onto the top of the engine, and 'may' drip onto the exhaust. Yo have another large rubber seal under the rocker cover, that can weep oil, and is prone to, especially if oft removed and clumsily refitted by DIY mechanics checking tappets as they should.

SO, the source of your oil, loss, IF there really is any, needs to be found... which means cleaning and observing, and leaving the bike parked on clean dry news-paper can help you see where oil might be dripping from, if not immediately obvious, on clean/inspect.

Ticking!!!!

Well, engines tick when they cool down. Could be quite normal. Drive chains, especially when mal-adjusted, can 'click' when the wheels turn. See above comments on sprocket shaft oil seal!) More usual cause of ticking is the tappets not being properly adjusted.... and this lies high on the list of likely suspects, given that they are inside oily bits of engine, often scaring owners who baulk at the recommended adjustment interval or aprox every 2ooo miles, cos means looking at scary bits, where oil lives, inside the engine.

Could also be a loose or blowing exhaust or gasket.... or many many other things.....

BUT the here and now is, that from your description, its a bit of string. We REALLY cant say whether the engine even IS damaged, let alone what that damage might be, or how bad or the cheapest way to fix it!

The start point for diagnostics is to eliminate the obvious and easy first. DO A SERVICE!!! Change the spark-plug, change the oil... pay attention to the levels and which way to read the dip-stick; Adjust the tappet clearances, and look all around the engine for anything obvious, LIKE a blowing exhaust, or a breather pipe, particularly crank-case vent pipe to the air-box, that's perished, cracked or just fallen off!

YOU MAY BE LUCKY!

And your symptoms go away, and the bike runs fine for another few ooo miles, with care and attension and an eye on the service scedule.

You may not......

But, with variables eliminated you at least have a place to start looking, for what might be a 'problem'....

And remember; Assumption is the mother of all effups!!!! When fault finding DONT guess or assume, CHECK, and eliminate variables.

Yes, the motor could be damaged from being run low on oil. On ten-mile run, however, with it running at both ends, its incredibly unlikely THAT has done any damage, that wasn't already there.... as said, engine could be well worn and in need of recon to start with, and you are only 'just' picking up on the symptoms... as likely, is that its fine, and the 'leak' you are worried about is just the engine having been over-filled with oil... and or and probably a bit of all, wear and tear and more than a little numpty mechanics and lack of mechanics along the way....

Question is, how bad is it, here and now, and the fact that you suggest its ride-able... does suggest its not 'quite' terminal, and in immediate need of a full tear-down or engine swap...

So start the fault finding.... slowly, and diligently, with a basic and thorough clean,... and that mean in all the nooks and crannies like the sprocket cover, not just the shiney painted and plastic bits like the petrol tank and side panels.... and do a full, and propper service, and not just to the engine, if you are wise, but, work down the list in the haynes manwell, and make sure its ALL done, 'cos good chance it never has been and or large chunks have been skipped along the way.. but get a good known base line for starting your fault finding... if there is, after that, one to find.

DON'T do panic-mechanics, assuming anything, let alone worst case need a new engine scenarios..... you may... but its all assumption, you don't KNOW till its been properly and thoroughly checked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Younha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:41 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies guys!

bladerunner wrote:
only thing you can do is strip the topend off and see what state its in. check crank,bore/piston and cams first as thats what usually suffers most. did the motor seem to be lacking power?

Yes I do feel it has lost some power to it and doesn't sound like how it use to - it sounds like it's trying hard

mentalboy wrote:
What did the mechanic say about the engine???

That time I went wasn't regarding the problems I have now, it was regarding the oil leak repaired - after the fix, they did notice a rattling sound. which I didn't think was a problem at that time

chrisjose1913 wrote:
You describe white smoke, how white it it?

white smoke as it is. it does have a burning oil smell to it. I will upload a video in a moment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Younha
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:07 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the video of the ticking noise from the engine
https://youtu.be/oJcefwQLBfQ

and the white smoke from the exhaust pipe
https://youtu.be/n0KQsT6YUnY

At the moment the white smoke isn't as bad as it was on the video above

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a new engine ASAP. That one's had it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ticking. lol!!

Wot Pete said!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is alot of these small 125cc engine trashed scenarios being caused by clueless non savvy owners? A hard working 12bhp engine that's air cooled and holds 1litre of oil is pretty stressed in terms of both being under WOT and highish rpm alot of the time.

Whats so hard about draining the oil every 1000miles religiously and cleaning or changing the oil filter depending on the type of filter set up? And checking that 1litre of oil you added on the dipstick or sight glass every 100-200miles?

I've never known a 125 that didn't really appreciate the above treatment, or one that ever had an engine issue before 40'000miles following this plan either.

Maybe it's the bike dealers and the learner rider training schools that are the real problem here, in that they arnt educating the riders/owners on what they need to do? It's no different to forgetting to put two stroke oil in the autolube tank.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tkh wrote:
So here is the video of the ticking noise from the engine
https://youtu.be/oJcefwQLBfQ

and the white smoke from the exhaust pipe
https://youtu.be/n0KQsT6YUnY

At the moment the white smoke isn't as bad as it was on the video above

It should be taken apart, cleaned and blown out very thoroughly, and put back together with whatever's needed, guess chankshaft + mains, piston/rings/barrel.

That's a bit of a job considering your apparent lack of experience, so as others have said, get a used engine, of appropriate age as complete as possible to reduce mechanic's paid time (1 currently possible: eBay item number: 263962655480 at £395 "buy it now"), and get it put in (ask "your mechanic" whether he's prepared to do that before you buy an engine).

If you can keep the old motor you may be able to recover some of your costs by selling bits off it.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck Fella.
Assuming money is a bit on the lean side, I would discard that engine, as it sounds somewhat tractor like, basically it’s an unhappy Honda engine.
If it were me, I would look for a low mileage engine from a breakers. Chances are if you did decide to take the original one apart one thing will lead to another and before you know it it’s well over budget.
Good luck.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: smoke Reply with quote

I really did laugh out loud, sorry dude but bloody hell, when did you check the oil last, if ever.

I have stupidly been riding roughy 10minutes without oil and it did seized on me on the way to the mechanics to get my oil leak checked.

So you knew it was leaking oil ( from where ) ffs, and was without oil!!!!!

Research cmsnl for the exploded views and prices.

A new honda engine is gunna be mega mega mega bucks, and so are parts, the cost will spiral.

Its worth your while after doing your research ( the exploded views on cmsnl will only help you, you can see how stuff fits etc., etc., etc., ) and looking at your manual, to strip this engine down, head and barrel off at least.

Post some pics of the flywheel, that may need a spacial tool to remove, if the crank is buggered.

Find your bike on cmsnl, you know exactly what it is ( fucked ) and post a link.

The good news, if you're already thinking of a new engine, is that you can ride the existing one until it fails. So put some oil in it and ride it.

DO NOT DO THIS, YOU WILL PROBABLY DIE, and the smoke screen behind you will cause an accident due to your stupidity!!!!!

I am going to assume its the last one listed on cmsnl.............CBF125M 2011 B England

Are you by chance female ?? as they are not afraid to ask stuff.

If you are capable of riding this bike then you are capable of fixing it, you have basic tools right?

The only real problem would/may be removing the flywheel, if you need to split the crankcase for a new crank for example.

You will not loose anything ( in fact you will gain much respect if you work on this engine, even if its totally fucked and now scrap, or beyond economic repair ) by stripping this engine down your self.

You will learn.

If you get an e bay special make sure it has a written guarantee, you may be stripping that one down soon.

Last edited by bikenut on 13:15 - 08 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to rebuild that engine for anything like the cost of a used lump. Just find one from a smashed bike, there's got to be enough of them out there.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
You won't be able to rebuild that engine for anything like the cost of a used lump. Just find one from a smashed bike, there's got to be enough of them out there.

Did you not know that if you send a picture of a spanner to cmsnl they send you a free part ? Ten spanners and that's nearly a whole engine worth of bits. Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP hasn't been to Stockport to pick up his replacement engine yet. I think it's a bit bloody awful to have no sympathy, actually. Hope he lets us know how he gets on.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I forgot to mix up a tank of pre-mix for my freshly built engine and wrecked a new engine then should I get a box load of sympathy too? GTFO springs to mind!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1