Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a decent write up here on hood

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/16621/the-motorcycle-jeans-destruction-test/

an acquaintance recently crashed at low speed around 15-20mph lost the front end into a corner and was wearing normal jeans, after multiple warnings of get something more suitable.

They were shredded and yes at the impact points you'd expect, but the funny thing about material is that when pulled it moves around, so whilst his knee was ground to shit, the hole in the jeans was actually on the side of the leg.

But whatever, you need to decide what fits your risk profile and what you're willing to accept which it sounds like you already have.

As for "proper gear" those resurgence jeans mentioned above are approaching 11 seconds slide, which I can tell you now is a hell of a lot better than some of the textile tat that gets sold. They do cost a small fortune though.

Proof is in the pudding though as they say, lets hope none of us need to find out what works and what doesn't.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
There's a decent write up here on hood

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/16621/the-motorcycle-jeans-destruction-test/

an acquaintance recently crashed at low speed around 15-20mph lost the front end into a corner and was wearing normal jeans, after multiple warnings of get something more suitable.

They were shredded and yes at the impact points you'd expect, but the funny thing about material is that when pulled it moves around, so whilst his knee was ground to shit, the hole in the jeans was actually on the side of the leg.

But whatever, you need to decide what fits your risk profile and what you're willing to accept which it sounds like you already have.

As for "proper gear" those resurgence jeans mentioned above are approaching 11 seconds slide, which I can tell you now is a hell of a lot better than some of the textile tat that gets sold. They do cost a small fortune though.

Proof is in the pudding though as they say, lets hope none of us need to find out what works and what doesn't.

That's an interesting article . . . I may have purchased differently (or not at all) if I had read that first. These are not like wearing "long underpants" in terms of the kevlar like the premium ones in that article (but at £99 they're not a premium product anyway) as it's just strategically sewn-in patches, but one of the things that seems to carry weighting is the fit (particularly where you mention about your acquaintance and their experience). The other jeans I tried on were quite baggy so I can see the protection (both the armour and the kevlar) moving around, but these ones I bought are snug so I think this probably helps keep things in place.

I am relatively risk averse (very relative . . . I ride a motorcycle!) but I think (hope) for the intended purpose they'll be sufficient.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I have had an "off" on a loaded touring bicycle across rough (breaking up) asphalt; I was wearing thin outdoor trousers and a thin polyester shirt (it was summer and very hot). I was moving at about 20mph when I came off (side-swiped by a car that thought it had time to overtake me and turn left in front of me - it didn't) and bounced across the road (I effectively high-sided). The clothing didn't rip at all amazingly, but it did ride up (unsurprising - nothing to hold it in place) and I got road rash and the pleasure of a (rather attractive) nurse pulling stones out of my skin with tweezers. I have travelled at nearly 50mph on bicycles before now though . . . frightening to think what the road rash from that could be like!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 347 days between these two posts...
vimoli3837 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 24 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Thunderguts..?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
dricasata This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: jeans 4 you Reply with quote

dricasata wrote:
Hey guys, for those looking into comfortable yet functional riding gear, you might want to check out men's biker jeans. They're tough enough for the road but still got that casual vibe if you're rolling straight to a hangout after a ride. Worth a look if you want to merge protection with style. Here's where I found some cool ones: https://jeans4you.shop/collections/mens-biker-jeans

YMy A I mate, you're posting in a motorcycle forum.

You should Google 'Harley Davidson forum'.
Or look for a Ghey Riders Club.

You're welcome.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2